Ballarat and surrounds

Hello

Am currently researching Ballarat and surrounds

Need some opinions on following Ballarat suburbs in terms of CG & Yield.

Ballarat East
Wendouree
Lake Gardens

Also do you have any referrals for a BA in the region ?
Thanks in advance.

K

Those are quite different areas.

Lake Gardens is a relatively new development (last 5-7 years I think). Much pricier than the other two.

Wendouree has some very different areas. e.g. Wendouree west (west of Gilles st) is mostly housing commission.

Ballarat East similarly is very diverse. Some quite nice pockets and heritage buildings. Lots of low socio-economic areas as well.

Most of the new building is happening towards the south-west side of town I think. Delacomb, Sebastapool, Alfredton.

In a country town like Ballarat a minimum acceptable yield is 6% I'd guess.

What are your expectations of adequate or sustainable CG over the long term?

Ballarat East: I prefer Ballarat North.the streets/layout/seems better than the east but that's just the few that I've seen.

Wendouree/Lake Gardens: Not on my list. The properties near the lake are too ex as IP for me.

Sebastapol, Redan, Delacombe: not for me at the moment. There are good finds for sure - land size, lots of development, area building up but not for my target tenants I think.

In terms of yield, the ones I've seen so far range from 5 to 5.5 ish%. I ignore the RE spill generally and think of the lowest rent possible against the highest price paid to gauge my pain threshold. but in a reverse situation, if a property has been on the market for a while. You can get it for say 230k for a 3 bedroom that could rent out for 270 a week, not bad?

I didn't use a BA in the region so can't rec one. But I can recommend the Beechworth Bakery for snack stops. If you stroll in there in your pyjamas on Sat mornin, you get a $5 voucher to spend on anything u want. Your partner will get really embarassed but it is really cool.

Hi there,

From the research I have done, I've found the following areas in order of preference:

Ballarat Central
Ballarat North
Alfredton
Mount Clear
Other Areas (there are heaps)!

I've rated these based on my research around my criteria of quality, capital growth, rental return, demand.

The first two are quite expensive and returns difficult. That's why I ended up buying in the next two.

Lots of stuff around on the web (and this forum!) around Ballarat.

Back