Bank Cheque not received......but has been presented and cashed

Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advise as to where I stand with this issue between myself and the new Body Corporate company that manage an investment property of mine.

About a month ago I utilised ANZ on line banking facility that allows you to purchase a Bank Cheque on line, enter the payee's address and then the bank sends the cheque straight to them.

As it was a bank cheque the money was withdrawn from my account immediately (over $1400). I received an on line receipt stating the payee, where the cheque would be sent and a receipt number. They also allow you to include a message along with the cheque which cleraly stated what the cheque was for.

I never received a receipt and today I rang the Body Corp Manager to check that they received it and also to find out my outstanding balance.
She says that they never received it and tells me to check with the bank.
Well, the bank has confirmed that the cheque was sent, and was also presented shortly after.
I've just called her back now but she has already left for the day, so I will be waiting until Monday before I can hear what she says. But judging from when I last spoke to her, her opinion is that they didn't receive it and that is that.

My bank has started a trace to track exactly where and by who the cheque was cashed by, but it will take 21 days to find out. In the meantime I'm stressing out!

SO, if you have sent a bank cheque to a someone, have written proof of the address it was sent to (thanks to the online receipt), and the cheque has been banked BUT the payee says it wasn't them.........what happens?
As a student there is no way I can afford to lose $1400.

Is there anything else I should be doing? What would yo do?

Thanks for listerning

Crack a bottle of red, it's Friday, and wait until Monday.

Get a confirmation from the bank that it was cashed to present to body corp.

Stressing does nothing.

Have a good weekend :)

Dave

My understanding of your post is that if the cheque has been cashed it is a clear case of theft and the police should be advised. Bank cheques should be crossed Not Negotiable: Account Payee only so it should not have been accepted into any other account but that of the body corporate.

You won't lose your money,but it might take a few weeks to get it back.The bank that accepted the deposit will be liable for the amount as they should not have accepted the deposit in to an account that was not the same as that on the cheque. Of course it is still possible that it did get to the BC but there records aren't up to scratch.Either way,don't stress.The bank will tell you exactly where it went,and take it from there.

Tools

What's more if the cheque has been cashed and not deposited/cleared, it's almost certainly had to have been done by the Body Corporate. Or a very dodgy bank cashed it for Joe Blow.

Enjoy your weekend and don't stress too much. It will work out OK :)

As above it is very likely the BC has received and banked the cheque themselves and have their own records wrong. Very unlikely that this situation will end up with you out of pocket.

I am thinking the Body Corporate arent great record keepers for cheques. Dont worry you wont lose your money. Next time, can you do a Bpay transaction? That is how we pay.

Back