Barista War - Trial Cafe Kiosks Melb

Maccas don't know how to make a good long black, and they boast how good their product is. I wouldn't expect anything from Coles or Woolies.

There's a coffee 'shop' in the woolies at southern cross station. I tried it once and once was enough. Blech.

There was also a Wowcow at the southern cross woolies. They had frozen yoghurt goodies. Now, that was nice. Didn't last long though (I think I was their only customer), there's a soup place there now.

I dont think this is an issue because;

1. The weekend coffee drinker will travel for good coffee and will generally want to have a meal with it.

2. Most CBD workers go to the closest cafe no matter how bad the coffee is, Woolies wont have that coverage

Those 2 markets would probably be the biggest money makers for coffee businesses so unless they setup these Kiosks on street corners in CBD's or they start offering bacon and egg rolls, there will be very little impact to the independants.

You could be right.

The quality of coffee is important and for me its also ambiance of a particular coffee house, and I don't mind paying the extra. Not sure whether these super markets are going to be able to get it right.

MTR

It's another instance where they may miss their mark - what is the upsale on a cuppa? Is it just coffee or will they have a cake stall as well? Next there'll be a coffee cart in the carpark as a fundraiser for the local nippers as well.

For the concept to work, they have to be pushing a specific product eg. Nespresso (or their own brands etc), sacrificing a sale with the coffee machines and making their money on the capsules.

I dont think this is an issue because;

1. The weekend coffee drinker will travel for good coffee and will generally want to have a meal with it.

2. Most CBD workers go to the closest cafe no matter how bad the coffee is, Woolies wont have that coverage

Those 2 markets would probably be the biggest money makers for coffee businesses so unless they setup these Kiosks on street corners in CBD's or they start offering bacon and egg rolls, there will be very little impact to the independants.

On point number 2 - this CBD worker (and most I know) will go to a 'destination' cafe as opposed to one on their way. Not many people I know will tolerate bad coffee. Those who do just make a cup of nespresso in the office kitchen.

I'd say the people buying a coffee from Coles/Woolies would be a different clientelle to coffee shop/cafe patrons.

They'd be more your 'on the run' customers I'd say, like those who buy coffee from the BP, Maccas, Muzz Buzz, etc. who btw appear to be doing equally as well as sit down cafes.

I know my local BP is constantly making coffee for those passing through.

I'd say the people buying a coffee from Coles/Woolies would be a different clientelle to coffee shop/cafe patrons.

They'd be more your 'on the run' customers I'd say, like those who buy coffee from the BP, Maccas, Muzz Buzz, etc. who btw appear to be doing equally as well as sit down cafes.

I know my local BP is constantly making coffee for those passing through.
Aus is becoming like the USA was, and is - when we lived there; everyone running around with a "to go" coffee cup stapled to their hand 24/7.

What I did notice was they were particular about the coffee standard....it has to be really good.

If Coles/Woolies can get their act together and deliver a really good product, and keep the price fair, there is no reason why the patrons won't grab a take away, or even make a trip there to get it.

This is assuming there are not many or any specialty coffee places nearby where people already go for a good brew....folk will still go to those places if they are truly coffee snobs like we all seem to becoming.

When we went up to the Gold coast for a holiday a couple of years ago, we stayed at a Big 4 caravan park which had 24/7 help yourself coffee. It was average, but if you were desperate.... (we are coffee snobs, of course :D).

We are always up pretty early, and their restaurant wasn't open at that time for the "must have" first thing coffee,

So, we/I got in the car at 6.00am and drove about 5 km's to the nearest specialty coffee place which was always open at that time for the locals going to work.

Personally; I can't see them putting other better coffee houses out of business.

Last edited:
What Bayview said.

McCafe's haven't impacted upon proper coffee shops. Hell, most of them don't even know what a macchiato is. So people who enjoy good coffee will still seek out the best in the area.

Australia is a huge coffee drinking nation. However, it is also a pretty discerning coffee drinking nation.

On point number 2 - this CBD worker (and most I know) will go to a 'destination' cafe as opposed to one on their way. Not many people I know will tolerate bad coffee. Those who do just make a cup of nespresso in the office kitchen.

Totally with you there. I walk 3 blocks when I want to pay for a coffee in Sydney CBD, but I dont have time to do that every day (busy reading forums) so I just use the Nespresso machine rather than quickly duck down for bad coffee that needs a heavy hit of sweetner.

Hmmm I must review the crowd I associate with, everyone here reckons the burnt crap downstairs is great coffee and there is always a massive line for it between 9-10am.

When I was in the USA I thought the standard of their coffee was pretty bad...
We found there were two distinct types of coffee over there;

The jug of swill that sat on the hotplate all day and everyone helped themselves, such as in places like "Dennys" or "Ihop" etc,

And the you-beaut designer coffees you got from places like "Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf", or "Starbucks", etc.

Where we lived in L.A there were several boutique/designer type places around us that sold really nice coffees.

I agree, and they use full cream not milk, and don't say "white" coffee,
Yeah; they'd ask you; "Cream and sugar?"

But a lot of places used that disgusting "creamer" stuff...not milk or cream.

I love a coffee with just cream in it and sugar; really thick and smooth...

My IGA does coffee and has for awhile - also makes sandwhiches and sells roast meat and veg, hot sausage rolls, pies etc etc

If I spend more than $100 in groceries I get a coupon at the end of my docket for a free cuppa.

I have redeemed my voucher for hot chocolate for one of the kids usually :p

I rarely buy coffee though unless I'm out for a coffee catch up with friends/work.

The Coles and Woolies concept won't be affecting me as there is no way they will be using my favourite brand.................

Those in SEQ who cherish Merlo will understand. I've had it as far south as Byron Bay. Haven't seen it beyond that.

Attachments

• Merlo.png
    Merlo.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 50
The Coles and Woolies concept won't be affecting me as there is no way they will be using my favourite brand.................

Those in SEQ who cherish Merlo will understand. I've had it as far south as Byron Bay. Haven't seen it beyond that.

Hi Player
Never, ever tried it.

Do most people have coffee machines at home, something like this. I do, but never use it because I can not be bothered cleaning it, instant coffee will have to do.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/delo...D=1527177129&gclid=CMOvuqPjvboCFQIVpQoduGsAVg

Back