Barista War - Trial Cafe Kiosks Melb

How will it be any different to having a Gloria jeans, Starbucks or other major chain?

Average coffee with crappy service, in a paper cup... To go.

They will do fine given location, however, I don't see them putting the corner coffee shop out of business.

Blacky

Do most people have coffee machines at home, something like this. I do, but never use it because I can not be bothered cleaning it, instant coffee will have to do.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/delo...D=1527177129&gclid=CMOvuqPjvboCFQIVpQoduGsAVg
I've got a good grinder and a basic expresso maker. The basic grinder never ground the coffee finely enough for the expresso maker- but it's a good combination now.

I'd rather do the messy thing than have a baaaad coffee, not that I'm able to make something I like at home.

I tried a capsule maker and a fully automatic maker but neither suited me, although I have tasted coffee from an automatic maker which I do like.

I had a pod coffee maker in the shop which was just fair, but then, I drink strong black coffee, and many of the coffee makers are aimed at the majority of white/cappuccino coffee drinkers.

I don't bother with an expensive coffee machine

$(KGrHqRHJCcE63YFIJu2BO3eD642Qg~~60_1.JPG

Stainless Steel Bialetti stove top espresso.

I use a good quality grinder.

I get my beans from Glee, a local coffee house, who do their own roasting, blends etc.

I get the Akiko blend, which is described as follows:

"The word Akiko is Japanese meaning Autumn sparkle, and we believe this sums up our blend nicely. We use a combination of 5 single origins to achieve this, it is a full bodied coffee that spreads gently across your palette with a prominent acidity, a cheeky spice and finishes off with a hint of orange peel."

The Coles and Woolies concept won't be affecting me as there is no way they will be using my favourite brand.................

Those in SEQ who cherish Merlo will understand. I've had it as far south as Byron Bay. Haven't seen it beyond that.

Merlo is quite good. Trying a few different beans at the moment.

This is the machine you want at home...... very nice pours.....

Giotto_Rocket_Premium.gif

:D

I have a Lelit espresso machine at home and I'm pretty hardcore about my coffee. I roast my own beans using a pocorn maker than I drilled holes into for ventilation, works out well but makes one hell of a mess.

I have espresso only, and I love the taste from a stove top espresso done on a low heat. Gives the individual characteristics of the blend a chance to come out.

Roasting my own beans will be the next step. Where do you source yours from?

What happened?

When I went to school, ours was the only family I knew at my school who had a Moka pot and/or knew what real coffee actually was. Everyone outside the Italian / Greek etc communities was drinking International Roast or similar. When we used to give visitors a taste of real coffee (just LaVazza out of the Moka pot), pretty much everyone without exception said they hated the taste! How can you possibly drink that stuff etc?

These days those same people have become some of the biggest coffee snobs in the world?

What happened? Just like squid was only useful as bait, bread was white, cheese was a Kraft Single, pretty much no-one ate olives and what's an artichoke? And what do you mean you bottle your own tomato sauce for the year??? :confused:

Sometimes I have to slap myself around a bit - I grew up thinking my parents were insanely obsessed and picky with food compared to everyone else and now they look positively conservative compared to most.

Anyway, we are all still perfectly happy with Lavazza out of the Moka pot!

My guess is this move by Colesworth will just mean Australians end up drinking even more coffee, rather than cut anyone else's business by much. Unlike most of what they do of course! I'll certainly make a point of not buying it!

We have a plunger Bodem at home.

We buy the ground coffee from the supermarket, and make our own each time.

Not as good as a latte or capp, but as a traditional coffee that is better than yer instant swill; it's great.

My sister bought the $100 Aldi extravaganza machine, with the capsules...it is bloody pretty good!

About 37cents per cup.

No snobbery there, but not needed as it turns out.

I had the Aldi capsule machine- not the extravaganza one. I gave it away, as I could not get a coffee I liked out of it. I tried about five different coffees but none really had the strength for a good long black. Many machines which make a nice cappuccino or latte don't make a good strong black.

I had the Aldi capsule machine- not the extravaganza one. I gave it away, as I could not get a coffee I liked out of it. I tried about five different coffees but none really had the strength for a good long black. Many machines which make a nice cappuccino or latte don't make a good strong black.

I'm like you Geoff.

I like a good espresso, usually long and sometimes a long macchiato. For me even a long black must have a nice rich crema.

My nephew has the Aldi contraption you speak of. When I visit, I use capsule strength 11 and it is still weak for my tastes.

I had the Aldi capsule machine- not the extravaganza one.
LOL!

I didn't know there were different types at Aldi.

I used "extravaganza" in a facetious manner - I thought they had only one elcheapo number.

It just occurred to me maybe you were being facetious too? :D

I wasn't actually being facetious- not this time. My machine was only $79 so I thought there may have been another model.

It appears to have been a major success for Aldi, judging by how often it's being sold there, and by the number of competitors who have since price matched.

Back