Baycorp Credit History - Overdue Account

you can also subscribe to your credit file for a yearly fee. (something like $25). They then send you an email anytime your file changes. This is a good way of checking that nothing is added without you knowing about it.

The other thing that can happen (although probably not that often) is identity fraud. This is when someone uses your name and takes out credit cards etc. for which you may be stuck with, unless you can prove it wasn't you taking out the credit card.

Cheers,

Mike F

Reactions: Les
emcdonald said:
found this site through The Barefoot Investor which i am reading avidly (spelling?) at the moment.

How you finding it?
I want a full review on my desk by monday :D

hi qaz,

the book is an exceptional read, not because it introduces any new concept or 'far out' investing technique, but rather because it is so readable.

Scott (author) refers to his University years as 'surviving on $6.50 till next Wednesday' and his mates spending money on 'beer and bongs'. A really amusing read, profound because he writes for his age group (20 to 30 year olds) and is not the least bit dictative or condesending.

You'll enjoy it if only for the way he exlpains inflation (Guy Sebastian's Angels Bought Me Here 2003 - $29.95 and 2006 - $.10c)

cheers,

Erin

P.S do i get an A?

Fyi

Just a further note to the Premium service available through Baycorp. Whilst they will notify you of additions to your credit file, they will not inform you if and when information is taken off.

For example, with two recent entries being deleted off my file, one being an overdue account and another, current credit provider, I needed to re-order the file to ensure I had the updated copy.

Hi all.

In regards to this credit rating thread, am I right in assuming that the less "hits" on your report, the better. Also, say you apply for a loan with company/bank X and they knock it back for whatever reason, this will obviously show on your credit rating, will it have any impact when you apply for the same loan with company/bank Y?

Regards
Marty

Marty, the feedback that I have been given to the same questions are;

In regards to this credit rating thread, am I right in assuming that the less "hits" on your report, the better.

Yes in the broadest sense, however, it is more to do with not having too many ie hits in short period of time, multiple hits for same/similar finance.

Also, say you apply for a loan with company/bank X and they knock it back for whatever reason, this will obviously show on your credit rating, will it have any impact when you apply for the same loan with company/bank Y?

This happened to me, and I was concerned about the same thing. However, this can and was in my case explained away. Original bank valuation undervalued property and I didn't proceed, based on LVR. The next bank didn't even send out a valuer as it turned out, and I don't think it even came up in disucssions with the lender/broker.

I think it becomes more of a concern if you have many hits for things like credit cards, personal loans, and multiple hits for first mortgage enquiries, which might indicate issues of credit worthiness (or lack thereof).

G'day Mikef,

you can also subscribe to your credit file for a yearly fee. (something like $25). They then send you an email anytime your file changes
Thanks for the reminder - just realised that I've paid for this, but my email address is no longer valid - I need to update this.

Thank you for the timely reminder,

Regards,

Small story along same lines,
5 years ago before I got into this IP stuff, I became very ill and was off work for over a year with no income what so ever comming in, plus 6 kids,4 in high school and 2 in primary school. As you can imagine our savings took a huge battering till they were gone. Even looked at selling our home but the market rent of a home was higher then our home loan repayments, our back to the wall we struggled beyond belief. "To this day I do not know how we did it".

15 months ago back on our feet, with me back at work and fighting fit we bought our first IP, "No hassles" and asked the bank any chance of buying another yeh go for it!!. found a place and signed contract , placed loan application in. "Bingo" bank phoned and said we have a prob, you were black listed a number of years ago due to late monthly payement of your rates. Did explain that that was during my illness and that it was all payed up on time anyway. I was told that I was late with one payment and that the local council would have you blacklisted instantly without your knowledge.

Had to get a letter from the council to state that the matter had been resolved years ago, plus supply current council rates statements showing that all my rates are currently payed in advance. Hence then I got my loan and my second IP.

Since I have bought my third IP without a hitch!!!! I have always valued my credit rating, but one hicup you can be blown out of the water years later without knowing why!!

Sharing a bad experiance
John

G'Day

Interesting that this thread has popped up again!

Just a reminder - in Australia we do not have a Credit Rating, we have only a Credit Record

Also, a credit provider registering a default is not 'black listing'. There is no such thing as 'black listing' so not worth a second thought.

Small defaults - and a default is completely different to being in arrears - can be considered to be serious defaults if they have not been paid for more than two years.

A recent customer of mine thought that he had cancelled and completely paid out his mobile phone contract about four years ago.

About two years ago, he was sent a letter of demand from a Mercantile Agency which had bought the debt. The debt was now twice the original amount. The Mercantile Agency insisted he pay the account by credit card, even though he told them he did not have a credit card and would they please send him an account so that he could pay it at the Post Office.

He received nothing and time went by.

About twelve months ago he got a personal loan from his local bank. No mention was made of any defaults listed on his credit record.

While we were preparing his home loan application, he rang Baycorp to organise a copy of his credit file, and was told that he had a default of nearly $700 outstanding. Interest had been accruing on the unpaid debt for two years.

He paid the $700, and we prepared the application thoroughly. The lender did not have a problem, but interestingly enough, the Deposit Bond company did. The default was over their limit. However, as the bond was for a short term bond, loan approval had been granted and the customer is a First Home Buyer the Deposit Bond was issued.

Every lender has a working policy on defaults. These policies change frequently but the most important factor is to pay the debt as soon as you are aware of it, and provide a comprehensive written explanation of the event plus a copy of the receipt to accompany your loan application. The defaults which most seriously concern lenders are those involving credit facilities such as loans and credit cards.

Increasingly, lenders are requesting explanations for all credit enquiries within the previous two years, unless the enquiries are represented by accounts submitted with the loan application. Recent applications for the same event (purchase / refinance the same property) may or may not require an explanation.

Of course, the very most important factor is to not have any defaults at all, but sometimes bills do get overlooked. At very worst case scenario, you move your application from an 'A' list lender to a 'B' list lender

Where there is a will there is a way. Even very awful situations can usually find a lender, after all this is mortgage secured lending. It is the property which is securing the loan, the borrower is only paying for it!

Cheers

Kristine

Here's how it works:

Your credit record ONLY records WHO ACCESSED your credit file. It does NOT record what loans you have.

For example, it will record something like:
"ANZ made an inquiry on date in reference to an Real Property Mortgage account where you applied as the Principal for the amount of $xxx,xxx"

It doesnt record whether you took the loan or not. It doesnt record what credit cards you have (although it will record that an enquiry was made).

So, the credit file isnt a record of what loans or credit cards you have. Only a list of organisations that have accessed them.

In fact, the institute you are applying for a loan with wont even know what loans you have, other than the ones you tell them about, or the ones that are being repaid from the statements you give them...

For example, it will record something like:
"ANZ made an inquiry on date in reference to an Real Property Mortgage account where you applied as the Principal for the amount of $xxx,xxx"

which also means you have to be careful who you apply to for a loan. it quickly becomes obviously if you've been shopping around and been knocked back.

It sure does mean you have to be careful. But the thing is that mortgage brokers will do all the work first, and will know which banks will approve you and which ones wont, and then you get conditional approval first (which is, I believe without a credit check) so its only if you get to that last step that your credit record gets hit.

I remember a story about some guy on ACA who's credit record was stuffed because he applied for lots of credit cards. Reckons he was only shopping around, but really, he could shop around for the best deal WITHOUT applying for so many...

Back