Bayswater, VIC

What are people's opinions on Bayswater. It appears to have gone up a fair bit in the past year or so. It has all the infrastrature (train station, schools, shops etc) and could also go up further with the Frankston - Ringwood freeway.

Im thinking of buying a property here (2 bedroom unit for about $220,000), but am I better to invest in places such as Melton or Kuranjang where I could get a 3 bedroom house for $180,000?

Any opinions would be helpful.

Hi Wildcat

As with any area, there is Bayswater and then there is Bayswater.

Parts of the postcode are rather shabby, being largely owner built in the post war years when materials were scarce. The suburb then had cheap land, a rail line, and heavy industry, thereby providing work, transport and affordability.

There are many skillion roofed houses in the older parts of the suburb, a dead giveaway that the house was built on weekends with whatever materials there were to hand.

Other parts of the suburb, such as the housing estates of the 50s, 60s and 70s, have substantial brick veneer homes on decent sized blocks and enjoy all the services and infrastructure which have developed over the past fifty years.

The suburb has seen it’s highs and lows, but generally it has matured into a steady, upper working class area of quiet, respectable families and although it is not a high income area most of the dedicated residential areas are good value.

Around the fringes of the industrial or retail areas are most of the older properties, many of which have seen better days. I worked in the area for a while as a Body Corporate Manager and while most of the units we managed (after all, the owners had to be prepared to pay management fees) were well maintained, we were often neighbour to properties which had had no maintenance or improvements since built.

So as with everything, it pays to drive around the area and to choose the street wisely.

As residents age and move on to that great postcode in the sky, new families will move in to the area and with new families will come some level of gentrification. However, it is unlikely that you will see any great capital growth primarily because the suburb’s character and amenities are well established ie no significant new projects which might cause a spike in capital values.

You are more likely to see steady rental growth due to the reasons why the suburb was popular to begin with.

A few years ago I looked at buying a block of units close to the railway station. The most god-awful design you can imagine, in really poor visual condition but structurally sound and fully tenanted nonetheless. The purchaser literally painted the units, did the most basic repairs & maintenance, and put them back on the market at about 50% more than he paid for them.

Buying cheap is neither good nor bad, provided that there is a good reason for the particular property, and provided that you do not think that buying cheap means selling dear.

Go and have a look at about ten assorted properties (for sale and for rent) open for inspection and see what you think once you get there. Interestingly, some of the most stable and sought after areas for rentals are in the really large 1970s developments in and around Glen Park Road and Hamilton Road. These are local communities in their own right, and now with the new Bunnings etc close by have local amenities for the first time ever!

Happy hunting

Kristine

Kristine thanks for your great reply.

Just a few questions. Why do you think there will not be much capital growth? Wouldn't the new Ringwood - Frankston freeway boost the value of those suburbs late next year or has that impact already happened? The suburb is also near Heathmont and Wantirna which are both considered good suburbs in the far East of Melbourne.

In terms of Bayswater you say choose the street carefully - you suggest more quiet streets such as Hamilton and Glen Park Road. With the exception of traffic how are these much different to the units on busy roads in the area such as Canterbury and Scoresby?

I've made a small Bayswater punt. I know the area is "industrial" but that means jobs. Have bought two units both walk to station and main shopping precinct. I intend to reno them shortly. There is quite a major shopping development underway.
I think the area will get a boost when Eastlink opens. Down Mountain Highway it will be just a few minutes from the Eastlink junction and then about 20-30 minutes from CBD. Or 30 minutes from the beach in the other direction.
Trainwise it's only two stops from Ringwood ..huge shopping mecca. (after Heathmont ..love the Heathmont area but too dear already for me.)
Let's see how we go. Have also bought in Ferntree Gully and Boronia on same "Eastlink play" theory. We bought FTG first and have already seen about $50K increase based on recent sales....so it is moving.

Good luck.
LL

I had a look at Bayswater last year when I was deciding what suburb to buy an IP.

Pros:
- Rail line
- Eastlink
- Proximity to employment (Eastland, Knox, industrial zones). I think 60% of workers living in the City of Knox work there also.
- Some potential for gentrification
a) Shopping centre was almost deserted pending a major refit. Not sure if that has happened yet.
b) Zoned as an activity precinct for the 2030 plan (its Tier 2 - forget the exact term)
- Similar suburbs in the same vicinity have a bad rep (eg Boronia, Croydon)
- the ripple from the inner city has not yet hit?

Cons:
- Eastlink already priced in?
- Some suburbs closer to the city have better value still?
- Longterm drift towards the city (fuel prices, preference of Gen Y)?
- Limited price rises in rising interest rate environment? (low income families more vulnerable)

Cons:
- Eastlink already priced in?

I'd be interested in the thoughts of Melbourne investors regarding Eastlink. Is it already priced in?

I tend to think that people who consider themselves to be 'investors' would have factored in future infrastructure developments but average homebuyers (the group that tends to drive price increases) tend to pay more attention to what an area offers NOW not later.

2008 could be a big year for Bayswater, Scoresby, Ringwood, etc...

I know if 1 property in Bayswater (relatives house), that has tripled in value in the last 10 years. I would never have picked it for such good growth. This is without any changes made whatsoever. 3x1 on a decent size block.

Cheers,

Arkay.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of Melbourne investors regarding Eastlink. Is it already priced in?

I tend to think that people who consider themselves to be 'investors' would have factored in future infrastructure developments but average homebuyers (the group that tends to drive price increases) tend to pay more attention to what an area offers NOW not later.

2008 could be a big year for Bayswater, Scoresby, Ringwood, etc...

I think it is probably already "priced in" from investment point of view.. prices in Eastern corridor has already gone up massively since the announcement of Eastlink from Doncaster to Frankston, and has going up steadily since.. this is of course all in anticipation that these "average homebuyers" will push the price up further. The catch is, if Eastlink fails to make a difference to these "average homebuyers", imagine what could happen to the property price in short term.. This is not unlike sharemarket, where good news can only be factored in to certain extent

After deciding between a cheap 3 bedroom house in Melton or a 2 bedroom unit in Bayswater for a bit more money I have just purchased in Bayswater. Its close to my parents house and the East will always be better than the West in Melbourne. The new freeway opening will be an interesting thing to watch. Eastlink will have a far greater impact than the Deer park bypass in my opinion as it is longer and therefore will impact more people (Ringwood, Bayswater, Dandenong, Frankston, etc.). It feels great to finally own some property but at the same time a bit nervy.

Good on you :) Melbourne Wildcat !

Don't worry about the "nervy bit" ...just hang on and it'll be no time at all and you're only question will be " now why didn't I buy more of those ... ?"

LL

What about Croydon? or Boronia/Ferntree Gully.. all these should benefit from the ring road..

Although pricing would be factored in, it will be moreso factored in when the freeway actually finishes.

What about Croydon? or Boronia/Ferntree Gully.. all these should benefit from the ring road..

Although pricing would be factored in, it will be moreso factored in when the freeway actually finishes.

the downside is.. what if it's not as effective as anticipated..

the downside is.. what if it's not as effective as anticipated..

that could be said for anything.. The long term median price of say FTG is 10% PA, so the return here is close to the likes of inner city suburbs as well. Although I would say the 'boom' starts in the city and works its way out.. as we haven't seen the 20% growth here yet as with say inner eastern suburbs.

that could be said for anything.. The long term median price of say FTG is 10% PA, so the return here is close to the likes of inner city suburbs as well. Although I would say the 'boom' starts in the city and works its way out.. as we haven't seen the 20% growth here yet as with say inner eastern suburbs.

don't get me wrong, I'm more excited than anyone else if it does have effect.. My PPOR is in Glen Waverley and my IP is in Frankston. It's good to be aware of the downside after all, as there's a lot of hype surrounding Eastlink

I don't see any downside to Eastlink ....just "some" upside or "more" upside...or hopefully "lots more" upside !! Commuting time is becoming more & more important.

LL

I have just purchased in Bayswater

Congrats! Was it an auction or private sale? Did you have to compete with other buyers?

I've been going to a few inspections lately in Wantirna, Bayswater, etc, and it's been wall-to-wall buyers for the last 3-4 months. Prices are shooting up and competition is strong.

Congrats! Was it an auction or private sale? Did you have to compete with other buyers?

I've been going to a few inspections lately in Wantirna, Bayswater, etc, and it's been wall-to-wall buyers for the last 3-4 months. Prices are shooting up and competition is strong.

I can tesify to that :) and this is even before the ripple effect officially hitting out this way..

Hopefully we'll get a double whammy ....ripple effect PLUS Eastlink. We saw this first hand in Blackburn about 8 years ago when the Eastern was opened to Springvale Rd. at the same time as the ripple effect hit.
Very nice stuff indeed !!

LL

I went through private sale. I did have to compete with a few other bids but the owner rejected all of our offers. I then made a higher offer after that and got it. I just feel Bayswater might be the next suburb to benefit from suburbs such as Wantirna and Heathmont being rather expensive. Eastlink might also add a bit more value down the track. Anyone actually know when Eastlink is opening?

Back