Bedbugs and other stuff

HI there
just thought I'd share the latest request from one of our tenants.

The particular property is a furnished one in a unit complex.

We have been asked to pay for a pest controller to rid the property of bedbugs as the tenant has been receiving bites and couldn't work out where they have come from and suspects that bedbugs are in the mattress.

A quick review of the net states some general suggestions to eliminate bedbugs include:
Thoroughly wash, vacuum or clean all surfaces and bedding.
Wash bedding and affected clothing where possible, using hot water. Dry in a clothes drier on a hot setting.
Vacuum mattresses, seal in dark plastic and leave outside in the hot sun for as long as possible.
Steam clean carpets.
Spray common hiding spots with a surface insecticide registered to control bedbugs. Follow the label directions carefully. Do not treat bedding with insecticide.

Now would you pay for a pest controller when a little self help seems in order?
thanks

Bed bugs are not a landlord responsibility unless the property is furnished and you supplied the bed.

we have had cases in the past where bed bugs were confused with bird mites from birds nesting in the roof cavity of the house. In that case because it is related to the structure of the property, it is a landlord responsibility.

The particular property is a furnished one in a unit complex.

Going by Xenia's post, sounds like it's your unfortunate responsibility....

Bed bugs are a pain to erdicate - needs 2 chemical bombings - one to kill the current generation, the second to kill the next that hatch (prior to breeding), as eggs survive the first bomb. Obviously, if any new source of bugs are introduced in the meantime.... waste of effort.

Cheers,

The Y-man

we had a terrible case in our office - new tenants moved in and started getitng bitten (aparently the dont bite everyone and prefer females over males). After sending a pest inspector it was found they were EVERYWHERE! in skirting boards, carpets etc. Tenants went to the CTTT and were released from their lease. Place was vacant for two months - carpets & blinds were replaced, skirting boards were removed and the whole place treated.

Hi there
my concern is the suggestion that we have to go straight to the chemical options which could cause more problems.
Can we recommend the non chemical options and go to the chemical options as a last resort?
thanks

Ummmm, if the chemical option is the fastest most effective method I would think the tennant would appreciate that instead of asking them to try other things less effective/quick and perhaps not proven (are those old wives tales?)

I think being bitten by bed bugs would be awful! But Im only posting my own personal perspective.

Just further thinking about this problem.

It certainly wasn't a problem 6 months ago before the current tenants moved in as we stayed in the property for a week and had no problems with bedbugs.

From further inquiry, bedbugs can be introduced to a property via luggage etc

As this unit is in a complex of 89, would you suggest we have an obligation to notify the building management just in case the little nasties have come from another property in the complex or want to migrate to another unit.
thanks

I would just throw out the mattress and bedding and buy new stuff you can write off. I myself wouldnt want to sleep in this again, even if it had been treated, then pay for a nights accommodation for them so they can be away 2 days and treat the apartment. I think quicker and easier and in the end cheaper than keep trying with half baked solutions

I think our pest man told us once that bed bugs were rampant in the hotel industry and back packer industry and I am fairly sure he said that they can get into the tiny cracks between walls and skirting boards and joins between floorboards, hence very, very hard to eradicate.

Hi there
just an update for anyone who has this problem
the pest exterminator has been out and treated the property and the mattress has been steam cleaned. The tenants say they have still been bitten.
My husband has gone down to the property today with tools, vacuum cleaner, further insect killing items determined to pull the place apart and find anything he can and destroy it.
On site management has been advised so that fire alarms are not triggered when the place is fumigated and so they can be on the lookout for any problems in adjoining units. This is a war we intend to win!
thanks

the tenants claim in that TT story was for a substantial sum of money. For a pest that is very difficult to eradicate I think it is a bit unfair. Sure they are unpleasant but they are a reality.

just another 'x' in that long long list of negatives for resi IP. hard to find a tick these days to be honest

Raddles,

I find it quite hard to believe that this is anymore your problem, if it even was to begin with.:eek:

It seems to me, to your credit, that you have gone beyond your duty as a Landlord.

I think the onus is now back on the tenants to either try something else, or move out.

Regards Jo

Hi there
It is in our interest to resolve the problem as we don't want our property "to be the bedbug property" and have problems with finding future tenants for the property.
We do feel sorry for the tenants - they are a young couple from Canada - who just initially thought they were being bitten by mosquitos when they opened windows. They had a lot of trouble getting a rental property in the first place and were not in a hurry to move out.
The pest guy did a very thorough job and was in the property for 4 hours. Most of the problem was found in the slats on which the mattress was resting. Apparently the pest guys soaked those slats in a solution of insecticide so hopefully it can't be repeated.
My husband was there from 10 am to 4 pm cleaning everything in the property. I might add the tenant is a clean freak anyway so everything was already clean. Everything has been sprayed and only one dead bedbug was found after the property had been fumigated. I am crossing my fingers that the battle has been won.
thanks

Back