Lead = Danger

Hi all,
I've just started to look at repainting the exterior of an IP. The house is an old weather board. I purchase a lead testing kit ($22) to test the paint. Anyway it came back positive :-(

So I did a bit of research and thought that I would add my findings here for others. The main concern is for children who may live in your IP at a later date, but also applies to you as a renovator.

Here is how I intend to approach the job. Its not going to be fun.
- Lay plastic sheeting on the ground
- Wet scrap off flaky paint with water bottle spray and scraper
- Bin the plastic with the old paint particles
- After scraping then use wet and dry to get rid of those edges from the scraping (using the spray bottle again)
- Clean with sugar soap sponge and bucket with gloves
- Use a green scourer for surfaces that are painted with no flaky paint
- Rinse and sponge with fresh water
- Hit it with an enamal undercoat
- Then two acrylic top coats
- Use a P1 or P2 respirator filter and gloves and disposable overalls

The main issue is contaminating the soil. If the lead gets into the soil then it can sit there for ages and kids come along in the future and can be effected severely (check out some of the links that I included). Also pets go out and rub into the soil and then take the led particles into the home.

- Properties prior to 1970 will typically have led based paint
- There is less chance that the paint on the roof has led in it, however, it is possible
- Led based paint was use inside and out

Personally I think that we as landlords have a responsibility to ensure that the properties that we rent out are as safe as possible. I could pobably get away with letting the paint go into the soil but then that would be the wrong thing to do. Its surprising that many profeesional painters dont know about it either (or atleast dont practice removing paint safely).

- Led can be absorbed thorugh the skin and breathed in. Apparently, you can even get it from food that has been grown in contaminated soil. When it gets into your system after some time it ends up in your bones and can lead to all sort of problems later apparently like cancer etc.

Cheers Panda

Master painter list of pinters that know how to deal with lead
www.lead.org.au

Vitamins that minimise the bodies intake of lead
C, iron, and zinc, calcium

ACNEM organisation www.ACNEM.org

The below is futher information. Its basically a cut a paste from information I have been gathering. Its sort of unorganised.

Department of Human Services, Environmental Health Unit - for health advice about lead issues in the home Tel. (03) 9637 4156

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/mao/leadbasedpaint.htm

Use lead safe work practices
The following work practices will help to minimise hazards from lead.

Pregnant women and children should move out during renovations until the clean-up is finished.
Always use an Australian Standard AS1716 approved respirator fitted with P1 or P2 filters, and coveralls to protect yourself.
Wash hands, face and hair, and change clothes when you finish work.
Don't carry cigarettes or smoke in the work area, as you can breathe in lead dust in the cigarette smoke. Wash hands before smoking.
Seal the work area off from the rest of the house and outside by covering floors doors and windows with plastic and tape. Remove household items cover them with plastic. If working outside lay plastic under the work area.
If painting, use appropriate work practices and avoid open flame burners or power sanders.
Never use your home vacuum cleaner to clean up lead dust. Most domestic machines are not fitted with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter and lead particles will travel through the machine contaminating the area. HEPA machines can be hired.
Don't sweep, but wet-wash the work area with a phosphate detergent, then rinse with clean water.
Always dispose of waste in sealed plastic bags in your rubbish disposal. If in doubt, check with your local council or the Environment Protection Authority.

contact the Environmental Protection Agency in your state

http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/housepaint.html
The Six Step Guide to Painting Your Home, available free by calling 1 800 803 772.

i will agree that you have to be very careful - my bro-in-law is a professional painter and, despite taking all precautions, got very ill with lead poisoning. basically he turned into an exhausted grumpy parnoid real **** (was a nice guy b4 lead paint). he is now getting better thankfully. the illness almost cost him his marriage as he was impossible to live with for a couple of years and he has peeved off all his rele's. it is hard to be understanding when he refused to get tested and thought everyone else was at fault for his mood swings (paranoia).

now he is refusing to sand leadbased houses as his health is still dicey.

lizzie

Apparently one of the problems with led exposure is that the lead goes firstly into your organs and at that stage cannot be picked up by the standard test. Therefore everything is thought to be ok.

However, alternative medicine performs whats called a urine Chelation challenge test this apparently draws our the led from the organs and they can tell how much led you have in you through this pocess.

Alternative medicine believe that the lead gets into your bones and then later in life when your bones start to decalcify releases it into the body which can cause a heap of problems.

Anyway,
I fully renovated the interior of an old house about a year ago. I had no idea about led at that time and I seriously breathed and lived sanded particles for three weeks. Not sure if it was led but I think it would have been based on the age of the house. Im sure there are a tone of renovators that have done the same.

Wouldnt want to do all this work renovating to retire young and crook. The good thing is that you can do it safely its just a little more hassle and you have to know about it.

I hope you bro in law getts better soon.

Cheers,

Panda

I wasn't really aware of lead problems until now, but I have always known of asbestos.

Is it possible to a "lead inspection" of a property, like one would do a building inspection?

Personally, asbestos, lead, and the like, scare me... :eek:

You can buy a led testing kit for $22 at bunnings that willl do 2 tests. Very easy to do.

Cheers,
Panda

Last edited:
Hi panda,

It's a safe bet that the soil around most older houses would be contaminated with lead. Before each reno ask yourself " How many times has this house been painted and been preped for new paint over its life." Each time the old paint would probably have been scraped & sanded and fallen to the ground with no concern from the person painting the house.

Unfortunately the dangers of lead are still not taken seriously by many tradesman including painters. There have been countless people doing renos over the last few years with little or no knowledge of these dangers also.

The company I recently managed often quoted excavation & soil removal from many development sites of contaminated soils as part of the DA from the Council. The cost of doing this is prohibitive as there are only a handful of places that will accept this soil ( up to $130 per tonne to dump ) and is a nightmare to transport. All dumping receipts from these places have to be presented and the soil retested before the next stage of the job can commence. I personally think this will become a growth industry as time passes. The mind boggles........imagine if all future developments required all contaminated soil to be removed from site before construction could commence.......frightening :eek:

Regards

Jared :)

Wouldn't I have more exposure to lead by handling fishing sinkers?? Although I don't do a lot any more I have not seen sinkers replaced with lead free weights!!

Actually lead sinkers are (apparently) one of the sources of lead poisoning kids put them in their mouth. When I was a kid I went fishing with a friend once who started chewing the sinkers. He said he always did it!!!

Anyway,

According to what I have read the issue is not touching something that contains lead its when it gets into your system via sanding or possibly through your skin if you are exposed, like dust with lead etc. That’s when its bad for the renovator. When it gets into the soil it can contaminate the soil. The risk then is with kids or pets bringing the led into the home. The people who are most at risk are pregnant women and young children.

The lady I was talking to over the phone believes that it will be more recognised in years to come. Evidence of it being identified as a real threat and not just a "I reckon its bad" can be seen by the fact that there is less than 0.01% of lead in paint now (due to government laws) where there used to be allot more than 50% and up. In addition there is a publication by the department of Environment and Heritage called "The six step guide to painting your home. Lead alert"

The fact is that you can still paint the house safely. Its not like asbestos where you need certified people to remove it (at least I think you do with asbestos). I see it more of a "heads up". Something to be cautious of, particularly if you have small children or you are pregnant.

I was talking to a retired painter the other day and I was saying that I think I've been exposed on a number of occasions and possibly to asbestos too. He said that he would have on many occasions.

If you are interested I would recommended that book that I told you about. Its free and its has everything in there.

Cheers,

Panda

Actually I just read one section and it said that "Nearly all cases of acute lead poisoning is children admitted to hospital in recent years have been attributed to unsafe home renovation and maintenance activities" page 1, "The six step guide to painting your home. Lead alert" Second Edition.

Back