Beds!

I've just been trying to find a new bed for my 11 yr old fast growing son and thought I'd just whip up to the bed stores in my local area and pick out a medium priced mattress (max $500). Trouble is, there is such a plethora of choice and every manufacturer (naturally) is telling me their product is superior......

I'm lost in a sea of confusion officially and was wondering if anyone has been through this lately and can help me out.

Does anyone know the absolute best place to actually pick up a brand new mattress of a good enough quality for a great price? :confused: :)

See if you can track down someone in the hotel/hospitality game. They get great deals on beds. The bonus is that hotel standard beds must be fire safe/retardent. I have just done this but l managed to pick up 2 via aution on excess stock from a hotel. $120.00 each for queen size ensemble. Those who have slept over have said what great beds they are.
cheers yadreamin

We have just gone through this for queen size and double for oldest two sons, 17 and 14. Phoned a few places looking for prices and nearly dropped the phone.

Ended up at Ikea, spent about an hour trying each type of bed with each type of overlay until they both found what they liked, firmness of mattress and thickness of overlay. Much cheaper than any of the places I phoned, even the ones that sell direct to the public and are cheaper (yeah right!!).

Both boys very happy, me happy. Child number three (nearly 11) will get a new one very soon, but we have to decide whether to bite the bullet and get him a double seeing he is the only one left on a single or buy a new single mattress. Funny thing is, he is the shape of a paddle pop stick and reckons he is growing out of his single (he just wants a double of course). I could stack ten of him on a single and still have room left over.

Wylie

We have just gone through this for queen size and double for oldest two sons, 17 and 14. Phoned a few places looking for prices and nearly dropped the phone.

Ended up at Ikea, spent about an hour trying each type of bed with each type of overlay until they both found what they liked, firmness of mattress and thickness of overlay. Much cheaper than any of the places I phoned, even the ones that sell direct to the public and are cheaper (yeah right!!).

Both boys very happy, me happy. Child number three (nearly 11) will get a new one very soon, but we have to decide whether to bite the bullet and get him a double seeing he is the only one left on a single or buy a new single mattress. Funny thing is, he is the shape of a paddle pop stick and reckons he is growing out of his single (he just wants a double of course). I could stack ten of him on a single and still have room left over.

Wylie

Hiya Wylie and thanks for the input- will now check out Ikea as well :)

Your son sounds like mine- tall and slender. However, we've decided now on a queen as they're longer than a single and double as well as being wider. Were you aware that doubles are the same length as singles? If you're likely to be over 180cm tall, you really should consider a queen or a king single, as they're both the same length- something I only recently found out myself.

Jacque we went the way of queen size for two of our older boys. They were lucky though and got top of the range pillow tops, but only because I found a source that sells shop soiled. Any damage was very very minor and mattress and base came to about $550. The mattresses and bases were still in their heavy plastic, never been used but maybe have a grubby mark on the corner or something like that. Sometimes pattern of fabric on mattress is different to the base which really matters diddly squat!! I'm sure they'd have these sorts of suppliers in every state. In WA the warehouse is in Forrestfield. It was an expensive exercise in the end though, because it costs about $350 for all the new bedding for each bed too. :eek:

The 14 year old had to have a king single, pillow top because of his tiny room size and it was about the same price as the queens. Only trouble I've found with king singles is that its usually more expensive to dress them as its not a common size.

Jacque

Have you considered a King Size single? It is 107cm wide and 204cm long so it is the same length as a queen size and wider than a standard single mattress. The investment is well worth it.

Cheers

CK

I used the Choice article when I was looking for a mattress. Found it very, very helpful. Article found pillow top mattresses compress over time and shorten the life of the mattress. I like to flip my mattress (an old fashioned concept these days) which you cannot do with a pillow top. Even though it cut down my options I eschewed the pillow top option. One can buy covers to put on a standard mattress that give the cushioning of a pillow top but can be thrown out once worn.

I got my matress here: dial-a-bed

My bedframe I got on ebay. Queen size for $250 and the sellers kindly delivererd it to my house. I gave them a couple of movie tickets to say thanks. However, Dial-a-bed sells frames also.

Dial-a-bed outlet is a bit low tech (just in an industrial unit in Rhodes - Ryde area) and has a corny name *roll eyes* but I am very happy with my matress. :D Nay, I LOVE MY MATTRESS. Very happy. Cost me under $500 for a queen size.

I laybyed it. And they delivered it. I also haggled on the price and got free delivery.

King single is the size I had growing up (standard size single fitted sheet stretched on, didn't buy special king single sheets *shhhhh*). Good option as your 11 yo will stretch very soon! (It is de rigeur these days for teens to have double/queen beds...tho' I am not sure how I feel providing teens with beds that accommodate two! eeek! )

Back