Being on mortgage title of previous house, fhog prob?

My fiancée and I are in the process of buying a house and we are getting the fhog in nsw. The other day his brother reminded him that he had gone in as a second person on the brothers mortgage title to help his brother keep his house after his divorce fifteen years ago in the act. My fiancée never lived there and only did it to help his brother. Now we are freaking out that a week from settlement we are going to be screwed. Is this going to mess us up? We will ring osr and ask but we thought someone may know here...

You might be in trouble.
http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/benefits/first_home/general/eligibility/
All applicants and/or their spouse/de facto have not owned a residential property, jointly, separately or with some other person, in any State or Territory of Australia before 1 July 2000.

or you might not......best to ring the OSR as you've said.

As RumpledElf asked, was he on title, on mortgage and not on title, or just a guarantor and not on title, or did he 'own' a portion of the property (was it 'sold' to him)?

From his memory, he only went into the bank and signed the mortgage papers to add him on the mortgage, but he did not do anything other than this - to be added to the land title wouldn't he have to take other steps? His brother is trying to find the land title documents...

Check your council rates and water bills too - they usually have whoever is on the title when the place was bought on there, so unless he was added later this should tell you.

We have two houses + 1 land, joint mortgage on each house, but one house the title is in my name and the other two they are in joint names, so it is quite normal to have different names on the title and mortgage. Banks just want their $$.

Back