Benchtop stone overlay Reno?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any here have done a benchtop Reno with a stone overlay?
Seems quite popular but I was talking to a kitchen place today who reckons overtime there is water infiltration around the sink that rests between the old benchtop and the overlay and this rots the wood underneath...sorta seems to make sense.

Any thoughts and feedback on this?

Thanks

Friends compared granite transformations with the price of a new kitchen. It wasn't worth doing. They got a new one instead.

New kitchens aren't that expensive if you avoid the pushy salesmen that come to your house.
Less than $10,000 new. What's the price of the stone transformation?

I have a granite transformations kitchen that was done about 13 yrs ago. It's fine, no water/wood damage like you say! The granite is still in good condition - I have a property that is 11 yrs old with laminate top. Some of the wood/chipboard has expanded near the sink.

I used granite transformations 13 years ago in a unit and it was still fine when I sold it last year. I recently used them again when I put a smaller sink in and had to either resurface the top or replace it.

I think it depends on the tradie doing the work. Google kitchen resurfacing.
From memory there was a good post on whirlpool about it.

We were looking at doing it but I think we'll wind up just putting a whole new countertop in.

Hi Phiber,

I've not heard of water infiltration issues with wrapped granite bench-tops but I guess as Spectre said it probably has a lot to do with the installer.

I've priced up granite wrapping/stone over-lay a number of times and it's not been a lot cheaper when all is said and done (and all the other works are completed).

You would think a straight forward bench wrap where the cupboards are fine, appliances are not in the way and splash-back is ok; could be feasible.

However, price comparisons are not huge as long as you shop around for a decent/well priced stone bench supplier/installer (i.e don't go to a kitchen showroom where they organise it and put a margin on everything you buy!).

Back