Berkshire Hathaway stock tops $200,000

CLASS A shares of Berkshire jumped past the milestone to an all-time trading high of $US201,740 ($A218,274.28) Thursday morning.

Berkshire Hathaway has come a long way since Buffett's investment partnership started buying shares for $US7 and $US8 apiece in 1962. At that point, Berkshire was a New England textile company.

Berkshire's Class A shares first garnered a six-figure stock price in October 2006 when they moved above $US100,000.
Source

It has taken 44 years (1962-2006) to reach first $100K and 8 years for the second. Would be interesting to see how many years it takes to reach the third.

Cheers,
Oracle.

And if you had invested US$1k with WB

image.jpg

How Rich You'd Be If You'd Invested $US1,000 With Warren Buffett In 1964

Warren himself is now worth $66.3 Billion

i read an interesting set of facts on him yesterday,he's made 99% of his wealth after his 50th bday and last year he made $1.5m PER HOUR.

i read an interesting set of facts on him yesterday,he's made 99% of his wealth after his 50th bday and last year he made $1.5m PER HOUR.

That's the power of compounding. You might only make say 10% but on what principal? If it is 10% on $87600 then it is $1 per hour whereas if it is on $87.6 billion then it is $1 million per hour. Amazing!

The 20%+ returns have been compounding now for 50 years.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Back in 2011ish the stock fell to about $85,000. I remember thinking 'I wish I had $85,000 to invest in the company.' Oh well.

On a brighter note, I *did* use the money I had at the time to buy some JB Hi-Fi shares which have also more than doubled (well, not at the moment... Right now they're trading at a little below a 100% return).

Buy quality businesses on the lows and hold, kids!

Wow that's amazing. Wonder if there will ever be a company that replicates that success (or even gets close)

It's worth noting that Berkshire has never paid out any dividends so the compound growth is massively accelerated from there.

Back in 2011ish the stock fell to about $85,000. I remember thinking 'I wish I had $85,000 to invest in the company.' Oh well.

On a brighter note, I *did* use the money I had at the time to buy some JB Hi-Fi shares which have also more than doubled (well, not at the moment... Right now they're trading at a little below a 100% return).

Buy quality businesses on the lows and hold, kids!

You can also buy brk.b shares which are priced a lot cheaper than brk.a

Westfield holding from float (1965 I think)till 2007 $1000 to $229,500,000. It slaughters Berkshire @ around 34%.

I doubt it some ******** figure someone pull up, Westfield with all the merger and split and currently split between WFD and SCG it total market cap is 33bn.

give or take I give it 35bn ... during that time it raise many billion in equity to fund properties purchase and it current holding has a bunch of debt.

it hasn't really gone any where since GFC...all it did since GFC was split up, merger then split up again, make bankers very happy though :)

I've not looked but how did companies like FMG and Ramsey Health Care (one of TC's from memory) compare, CSL and Cochlear may also have done well :confused:

FMG going from lying on the ER operating table at a few cents then China comes a long it top around $80 something a share before GFC, it did a 10:1 split so effectively it now $45 a share.

it made many many millionaire but some people also missed out, as stock start to rise in their tens and 20 cents, Andrew Forrest start to offload some shares, people got fricked out and start selling out a lot missed the multi millionaire dollar pay day.

AF tend do do that and people don't know him got scare, he doing the same thing recently on AHZ a biotech he backed, people fricked out and start selling out :) the history is still playing out on this one so time will tell but so far so good... I am still waiting for multi millionaire dollar pay day on AHZ ...so far it only in hundred of thousand :)

CSL and many other like BXB are all formerly government business and they flocked it cheap, most people buy into government asset sell off usually end up very rich .. CSL hundred of times return...

This means that you can never go wrong with investing with Berkshire in its entire history.

I wonder whether this is sustainable after the passing of Buffet.

Actually you rarely can go wrong invest in strong business model
back by high return on capital employed and has strong cash flow :D
the longer it goes the richer you get.

people lose money in the market
1. they speculate
2. they dont know what they are doing
3. they dont have the knowledge and fundamental to sort out the facts and fiction, they are at the whim of the headlines and the noises, buy when they shouldn't and sell when they should buy some more etc..

Westfield with all the merger and split and currently split between WFD and SCG it total market cap is 33bn.

Versus Berkshire's market cap of $324bn.

Surely, when you run a business you can easily generate 20%+ returns over long time. Several businesses have done that. But in Buffett's case he has managed to earn that kind of returns investing in other businesses.

Cheers,
Oracle.

its the power of
(a) 100% retained earnings (never have a dividend so no leakage of funds)
(b) intelligent investing on behalf of shareholders.
(c) cash flow from the insurance units, which enables constant supply of funds

There is only one warren buffett in this world. I would not easily trust another with this (mainly because I would suspect another their use of shareholder capital).

Warren Buffett actually displays some characteristics of autism. But its maybe been these characteristics that have enabled his shareholders to do so well by him (not just in terms of business performance, but also the ability of shareholders to participate in that performance).

I wonder what would happen to Berkshire shares if Warren Buffet retires or passes on. A crash maybe as I suspect lots of people only invest in the company due to WB and have no clue on the operations of the company

Back