Berkshire Hathaway stock tops $200,000

I doubt it some ******** figure someone pull up, Westfield

I did get it wrong it was indeed 1960 so the rate is slightly lower, the reason I know about better preforming compounding rate for WDC is The old bloke who taught us about shares,actually bought $1250.00 of Westfield in 1984 and sold them in 2003, for $223,000.00 that's about 31%.

And the article attached that appeared in the AFR some time ago but only shows up to 1960 to 2000 @ 33.64%, and to go from $109m to 229m that's only 11%.

It is also mentioned in the book Motivated Money apparently sourced from JB Were & sons, compiled by MLC investments.

By all means if you have any further doubts please let me know as I have the resources to give the full period 1960 to 2007 just let me know as it may take some time.

Attachments

• AFR_westfield_c_rate.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 61
Berkshire is valued at $330 billion and with a cash pile of $55 billion, has underperformed indices over the last five years ? the first such incidence in its history.

Berkshire hit a 52 week high due to a recent announcement of the acquisition of Duracell and strong earnings

BRK.A $225,214.70

As always the deals are interesting

From The Motley Fool

As part of the deal, Berkshire will trade the P&G stock it owns in exchange for Duracell and about $1.8 billion of cash. It seems that for Buffett, the rationale for the deal stems largely from a tax perspective.

Buffett originally owned shares of Gillette, but in 2005, P&G bought out Gillette in a stock-for-stock transaction, and Buffett earned a huge return on his shares. In the many years since, Buffett's P&G stake continued to increase in value. According to Berkshire's most recent annual letter, Berkshire's stake in P&G has a $336 million cost basis. As of November, that investment is now worth $4.7 billion.

If Berkshire were to sell the investment outright, it would be subject to some stiff capital gains taxes. By pursuing this deal, essentially trading the P&G stock for Duracell plus cash, Berkshire is able to avoid these taxes, which would conceivably be well north of $1 billion. That alone is reason enough for Buffett to do the deal.

knew a guy who bought $300k worth of FMG shares when they were cheap,

sold them a few months later for $600k odd,

he was chaffed!

until he realised, had he kept onto them, he d be worth something silly like $40m!

Back