Best brand of windows

I'm renovating at home and want to replace some 30 year old aluminium sliding windows in a bedroom. I've never bought new windows.

Can anyone recommend the best brand of replacement aluminium window for quality and style? PPOR, so price isn't the issue - I want the best (if they differ at all).

Many thanks!

Ace:)

Hello Ace,
I would highly recommend Action Windows in Dandenong. Their service, price and advice is second to none. That's asuming you're in Melb..............
Disclaimer:- I have no affiliation or any financial connection to Action Windows.

Hi Ace

I have been very happy with Trend.

Whole of house at Myrtle Cottage, including speciality windows such as French doors with side awning windows - quite narrow, to fit the space, and small windows to fit where the airconditioner previously bumped heads outside the front door. Fiddly stuff.

These were all timber windows to suit a weatherboard house

And for my daughter's unit, three powder coated aluminium windows, again custom sized and a perfect fit. These windows have deep reveals because the unit is double concrete block two storey, and the windows have to be fitted towards the face of the outer brick.

All windows have insect screens.

I deal with Deann in Melbourne 9751 7000.

I had quotes from three suppliers, and they all came in much about the same. However, Trend have been very helpful and changed the order as the situation developed and I will certainly be dealing with them again.

cheers

Kristine

Ace,

Filling in your location field (in user cp) helps others with questions such as these.

edit : removed blatant plug :p

Last edited:
When you say best how good are you talking?

Since its for your PPOR do you want double galzing, PVC frames or just good quality aluminium? When we built our PPOR the windows we used were from Dynamic Windows, l am not overly happy with them and if l could go back and change my decision, l would have used Rylock. l thought of all the systems we looked at (in aluminium) they were the best, but also the most expensive.

We used a fairly recently released type of glass called Comfort Plus in place of double glazing and cant recommend it highly enough. It falls in the middle of cost between standard and double galzing but works very well. It consisits of 2x3mm panes of glass sandwiched to a layer of plastic just like a car windscreen. Results in better thermal efficiency, less noice transmission, acts as safety glass and because its tinted cuts heat in summer and improves privacy. Its worth considering.

Thanks Mondie. I plan to specify Comfort Plus as I have used it before and been very impressed with its noise attenuation.

I look at Trend's Quantum product this morning and was impressed, but I'll also check out Rylock.

Ace:)

Don't buy James Hardie Windows

We built a nice house by the beach and on builders advice used James Hardie Windows, they have a gaurantee for the wind strength.

Well the gaurantee is that the glass will stay in the windows with the wind, not that the the rain will stay out.

They leaked for 18 months, until the repair guys managed to stop them leaking, well stopped most of them leaking. Some still leak in the really good storms, 40+knots.

We always look at windows now when viewing houses, it amazing how many properites have leaky windows. Never realised.

Have a look at the windows location, does it get weather or is it sheltered. For weathered buy industrial, nice big thick, heavy window frames. For sheltered most windows will do the job.

Awning are meant to be more secure than the sliding.

cheers,
Graeme

Back