Best pockets in Sunshine (MEL) looking for forumites views!

gsj, yeah the reiv, they only show the last 5 years worth of data, one can only obtain graphs too, and not the actual figures,

would be useful to get more long term figures that for sure, to do some analysis etc

I saved it from Sunday Herald-Sun; September 18, 2005.

Being the figures released from Victorian Valuer-General...if I knew how to scan, oh, and had a scanner, I would gladly put the contents up on forum, I love it, (meaning the 10 year perspective of Victorian cities and towns).

I am a buy and hold, and hold.... and lever type woman, this is from 1994 to 2005.

Isn't there a Valuer-General Book put out every year on suburb values? Or maybe I dreamt that. In between George Clooney images.

Actually, I just had a brillant idea, the community centre in town person knows a thing or two about technology I will catch up with her and between us we may be able to get this info up in cyberspace.

Bear with me for a few days. There is hope yet. :)

I will see if she can wack up the crime stats too, just for fun.

adam.i

good link;

going by latest figures 05/06

Sunshine is pretty high on the list 4800 reported offences

pity its not area weighted, i think this would give more representative figure.

anyway look; Frankston and Dandenong are in the 7,000's good bit higher than Sunshine.

Also area such as Prahran,Richmond,Preston,South Yarra,St Kilda are in the 3,000-4,000 ballpark

Top Ten Criminal Hot Spots

The top 10 highest crimes reported in 05/06 (not taking into consideration the population in each suburb) in metropolitan Melbourne are:

1. Frankston
2. Dandenong
3. Sunshine
4. Preston
5. St. Albans
6. Richmond
7. Reservoir
8. Werribee
9. Footscray (sorry, I typed in Frankston before, instead of Footscray)
10. Ringwood

ADD: Note change at no. 9

Last edited:
Very interesting thread!! I'm really enjoying all the Melbourne threads coming up - it means something is happening (which I can see living here).

I live off the Werribee line, and Sydenham line. We live in Yarraville, but Geoff works in Hoppers Crossing, so I take the full Werribbee line often to meet him (and we have family in Werribee). We also have family that live around Sunshine, so we did at one time take that line to Sunshine, but have stopped. I hate getting off at Sunshine station. The last time we did, to meet family about 6 or 7pm for dinner, we took a cab home because there were so many dodgy characters hanging around the station, I really did not feel safe. I hate getting on/off at Footscray station when I have to walk "across" the station because I am always acousted by beggers - when you're on your platform it's fine, it's on the walkway, I hate it. I think Footscray is changing, and if we were buying right now, it would be my first choice over the other talked about suburbs in this thread, but we're almost priced out of there as well! I also like Sunshine, and we're looking into possibly investing - but I wouldn't want to live there, I don't feel safe. It's incredibly affordable, and there's change happening in the area - but it doesn't have the best name - "Scumshine" will take awhile to go away no matter what changes happen.

Also, if you're driving North-East on the Western Ring Road, there is a horrible smell around Sunshine (I think, maybe a different area, sorry if it is!) - Industrial area, but it's awful.

I have never smelled that going down to Werribee - not sure about what you're talking about. Altona - yes, has that smell every once in awhile. Maybe it travels?

I like Sunshine because it's Zone 1, has period housing - and is possibly changing. I still don't feel safe there. I like Hoppers because it's closer than Werribbe, I certainly feel safe at the Station, and has a fully developed town central. I like all of them, including Werribee because they are cheap. We'd prefer to stay inner city at the moment, but with the amount of price changes happening in inner Melbourne, maybe the outer west is just waiting for the wave to come through!

Just my thoughts on the area.

Not sure about getting rid of that stigma though.....I'm wondering from "older Melbournites" - how long has the stigma been around and has it ever changed during the previous booms??

Cheers,
Jen

Jen,

There will always be a *stigma* with the west. Always has been...always will be........just Melbourne I guess, and whatever side of the Yarra (drain) you're on.

Truthfully I'm finding these couple of threads we have going here quite funny..........

All these Western suburbanites declaring which patch of dirt in *their* beloved west is better.........whilst all the Eastern, Northern and Southern *toffs* are looking down their noses.......going yeah right!

I think this is best summed up by a conversation I had with one of the mortgage brokers on this board some weeks ago.

In essence you do your DD and find what works for you........find that little niche that fits your comfort zone and just go for it.Time will tell - and if you've done your DD correctly the difference between capital growth IMHO becomes slightly irrelevant anyway, remembering that if you can't afford to buy then nothing will be exactly what you will get. No one has the benefit of hindsight.

Jizzlobber.........I really have to ask how you came up with that name.......man that cracks me up. I keep thinking of a particular scene in the Farrelly brothers movie There's Something about Mary...........;)

ciao

Nor

(and besides guys what are you all doing in Melbourne anyway???.........Perth is the place......high housing prices or not. Although I will admit they still haven't figured out what a Souvlaki is...........:D )

GSJ; thanks for the figures again, however you have Frankston in 1st and 9th?? I didn't think Preston was a rough spot but there ya go.

Jen, I thought you had moved to Essendon?, thanks some good comments about these areas. I also like the fact sunshine is in zone 1 and appears to have relatively cheap period houses, if only they could clean up the station and get rid of the kids hanging around. I notice this alot at Newport too on the werribee line. incidentally there a few things on youtube on werribee and i'm not talking about the assult on the girl late last year.

Norwester; the handle is from a Faith No More song from the 90's i've used it for ages, it was my character years ago when i played Quake in the office, haven't seen something about mary but i hear its good.

In the game of cheap dodgier areas on the turn, should one pick ......

Scumshine
Footscary
Crazyburn
or
Werribee (insert colloquialism if you have one)

again please i'm not taking a swipe at people living here; i myself grew up in a place much scarier than above

Footscray will likely be the first to 'come good' but the prices are getting steeper all the time, i'd like a nice 3 bed ed/vic house on either newell, lynch or stirling streets, i think this is the nicer bit,

i've come across this online:

"I'm in more Sh!t than a Werribee Duck!"

- seriously though, they have a great website for kids that explains the western treatment plant process, they use lagoons for one of the passes before entering hobsons bay.

From a Western Australian perspective I think that you are on the right track. p.s Anything that close to the centre of Perth is (x3) the value of the Median Sunshine property. Sunshine reminds me of a Balga in W.A. no one would touch Balga for many years - Now it is going through the roof! ~Based on some of the comments you have received it looks like the "UGLY DUCKLING" tag fits well with Sunshine. Lets hope this continues in the s/term because you may be able to get 3/4 properties before the word gets out that Sunshine is an excellent l/term investment prospect....I know I am!

~Based on some of the comments you have received it looks like the "UGLY DUCKLING" tag fits well with Sunshine. Lets hope this continues in the s/term because you may be able to get 3/4 properties before the word gets out that Sunshine is an excellent l/term investment prospect....I know I am!

One thing with Sunshine is that it's in the middle of one of the two biggest concentrations of disadvantage in Melbourne (the other is around Dandenong). There are character homes, but it has such a long way to go before it and gentry can be used in the same sentence.

Sunshine is relatively close to the CBD and has good transport. But to the north is St Albans, to the west is Sunshine West, to the south is nothing and to the east is Braybrook. All are amongst Melbourne's poorest suburbs. Which does not necessarily exclude capital growth, as the discussion on Frankston North has indicated.

Braybrook may be another possibility if ugly duckings interest you; unlike all of the others it at least abuts a gentrifying west Footscray. It's extremely down market (like Sunshine but more so) but has pockets of new housing and run-down industry. Unlike Sunshine there's no train, but buses are OK. Crossing Ashley St causes prices to drop by about $60 - 80k when heading west.

Peter

I've been following this discussion with some interest, being a local (Sunshine) girl!

With regards to Braybrook, the housing stock imho is way inferior, and the suburb also has quite a concentrated public housing sector as well (there is public housing down the bottom end of West Sunshine but not in Sunshine Central, Albion or Ardeer) - which, again imho, makes Sunshine a better investment. Not to mention better access to all the local facilities like shops, cinemas, pool, cafes, etc.

Interestingly enough, I read in today's local paper that an Art Gallery has just opened on Hampshire Rd (in Sunshine). Yes: an art gallery [pick your jaws up from off the floor, thanks!].

I am telling you, from a local perspective, things are happening in this area that I have not seen before, and if things continue as they are, it can only be good news. :)

ETA: Braybrook may be to the east of Sunshine, but just a couple minutes more east, and you have Highpoint - an easy drive to say the least. Also consider that before you get to St Albans, you have suburbs like Cairnlea - which are not exactly working class.

Interestingly enough, I read in today's local paper that an Art Gallery has just opened on Hampshire Rd (in Sunshine). Yes: an art gallery [pick your jaws up from off the floor, thanks!].

I've seen galleries in both high-class and low-class areas.

To me a gallery does not necessarily indicate a high-class area (whereas an independent bookshop usually does).

Where commercial landlords have been unable to find commercial tenants for their empty shops in a crumbling strip (not even a Club X, tattooist, pawnbroker or payday lender) they may consider that any tenant is better than none, and get in a struggling artist (or collective) even if the rent is low.

Hence a gallery can just as easily be a sign of decline as gentrification - I haven't been to the one mentioned so can't comment on this specific case.

Peter

Matthew Hill Area

The Matthews Hill area of Sunshine which represents the best pocket, is experiencing some phenomenal results in the past 6 months. It seems now that a standard 3-4 bedroom weatherboard home on approx 550m/2 of land is now selling just under $400 k.
2 years ago the sell price would have been approx $280-290K, thus representing great capital growth of at least 30-40%.

Having purchased in this pocket of Sunshine 2 years ago due to the potential that I saw in the area, my decision is vindicated. The area is well supported with schooling and infrastructure, however I believe some of the value that was previously available is now gone in terms of this small pocket. The maximum rent you will achieve is approx $270 per week which is not a huge return if looking at an interest only loan in today's rates.

Overall I believe there are still opportunities in the unit sector with a better return on your investment. In summary Sunshine has proven to be a great investment vehicle for me, quite simply due to infrastructure and its proximity to the city.

Thanks

Matt

Laverton, I would have a serious look at Laverton.

Very interesting thread!! I'm really enjoying all the Melbourne threads coming up - it means something is happening (which I can see living here).

I live off the Werribee line, and Sydenham line. We live in Yarraville, but Geoff works in Hoppers Crossing, so I take the full Werribbee line often to meet him (and we have family in Werribee). We also have family that live around Sunshine, so we did at one time take that line to Sunshine, but have stopped. I hate getting off at Sunshine station. The last time we did, to meet family about 6 or 7pm for dinner, we took a cab home because there were so many dodgy characters hanging around the station, I really did not feel safe. I hate getting on/off at Footscray station when I have to walk "across" the station because I am always acousted by beggers - when you're on your platform it's fine, it's on the walkway, I hate it. I think Footscray is changing, and if we were buying right now, it would be my first choice over the other talked about suburbs in this thread, but we're almost priced out of there as well! I also like Sunshine, and we're looking into possibly investing - but I wouldn't want to live there, I don't feel safe. It's incredibly affordable, and there's change happening in the area - but it doesn't have the best name - "Scumshine" will take awhile to go away no matter what changes happen.

Also, if you're driving North-East on the Western Ring Road, there is a horrible smell around Sunshine (I think, maybe a different area, sorry if it is!) - Industrial area, but it's awful.

I have never smelled that going down to Werribee - not sure about what you're talking about. Altona - yes, has that smell every once in awhile. Maybe it travels?

I like Sunshine because it's Zone 1, has period housing - and is possibly changing. I still don't feel safe there. I like Hoppers because it's closer than Werribbe, I certainly feel safe at the Station, and has a fully developed town central. I like all of them, including Werribee because they are cheap. We'd prefer to stay inner city at the moment, but with the amount of price changes happening in inner Melbourne, maybe the outer west is just waiting for the wave to come through!

Just my thoughts on the area.

Not sure about getting rid of that stigma though.....I'm wondering from "older Melbournites" - how long has the stigma been around and has it ever changed during the previous booms??

Cheers,
Jen

Take a look at Laverton, Zone 1, village enviorment, a billion dollar development happening. We live in Altona Meadows, have investment properties in Yarraville, Altona Meadows and Werribee. We were living in Yarraville before the boom, watched it take off, and basically we were run out by the yuppies. I am now feeling the same energy in Laverton. When you have housing commision houses going to auction, you know something is seriously happening. Let me know what you think of Laverton.

Think you're wrong on that one!

Just an opinion, but I think negatives outweigh positives this far out in the west. Sure you'll get long-term growth, but you can buy almost anything and in the long-term (>8-10 years), anything will go up in value considerably. I personally invest with a medium term outlook. I think you could do much better than Sunshine in the medium term.

GSJ

Sunshine will go through the roof. It has all the right factors other than stigma. Melbournians are such suburb snobbs. If demographics and stigma are the only issue, to me that is sheep behaviour. Nobody wanted to live in Yarraville fifteen years ago, now look at it. I think 30-40% capital growth in one year, isnt too bad, dont you think?

Back