Best way to buy an engagement ring?

I so wish I had the courage, an investor friend purchased the most magnificent diamond ring at least 60% less than my diamond ring which cost $30K, he researched till the cows came home and got the best diamond in the US. I thought he would get ripped off, not so, there are bargains to be had a bit like property I thought ... lots of research, homework and then just have the courage to jump in:)
Damn, I paid too much, or hubby did;)

The value of jewellery like all luxury items is very subjective.

Why do pay $600 AUS for LV bag when a copy from China that is 95% the same is $60AUS? Looks the same, feel the same, same fabric, badges etc. (mostly).

Same for a WRX versus Boxter. To the average to good driver very little difference in performance and handling.One costs $40k ish and the other $110k ish.

Getting a ring valued at $60k for $30k seems to me to be that either or both are not worth that in actual $ sense in the first place. That is not to say $60k is not well spent as it is your decision. The VALUE is what it means to you, not others.

Like swimming pools. Cost $30k, and if used a few tines a year return is $30 the saving by not going to local pool. BUT Used every week for few days in summer, night parties, bbq , etc. building memories with kids: value very high.

Personally; we have ponies. Average Cost $5k but easy go up to $60k. Ongoing Cost $0 to $200 a week. Feed, care, lessons, tack, etc..AND lots of time.

Ride once or so, very bad value. :(

Ride regularly, teach daughter caring for animal, routine, how to control something, not to fear pain, not to fear failure and then spend sunny arvos trail riding with her as Daddie & Daughter time (until she hits teens and I am too embarrassing or more likely too slow).: Priceless. ;)

Good night all, Peter

Aside from the traditional retail store of course.

Have people had experiences with buying their diamond(s) of choice and then having a jeweller setting it.

I have the idea of the approximate size, cut, clarity, gold colour etc and the design of both the engagement ring & wedding band, I just don't know how good value it is, even if I purchased well, from a retail jeweller. I know mark-ups are pretty amazing in the jewellery retail sector.

Other ways of skinning this cat?! Experiences would be valuable. Thanks

Yes

The wife was excited, then upset at a 1 ct diamond engagement ring, I had a friend who knew a jeweller who did work for a few big name stores in WA so got a great price, an investment of sorts

After a few tears (hers, in case you were wondering) we we went a cheaper diamond and still got a great deal compared to retail; I suppose I got a frugal wife, so that was the bargain in the deal, or the deal in the bargain ;)

If you're going to get the diamond from overseas, I would just get the ring too. That way you have one person that's responsible for the entire product.

I looked in the retail stores and online for ideas and then went to a local manufacturing jeweller to make my partner's engagement ring. It was around 30% cheaper than comparable retail prices and half the price of a retail shop 'custom-made' ring.

I wasn't comfortable buying it overseas/online, but you could save quite a bit by doing this if you know what you're doing.

Good luck!

Go Blue Nile. I've helped two friends purchase from there and their ladies have been over the moon. You can design exactly the ring you/she wants but you will need her ring size.

You get the proper paperwork with it too.

Good luck.

I would be very careful with that ring. It is not certified and I1-I2 is very low clarity regardless. It will have inclusions that are quite noticeable. S1 is the lowest you should go if on a tight budget and even then, you should ensure that it is "eye clean". VS1-2 is the best compromise IMO as you know there will no visible inclusions and you are not paying for something you will not see/notice.

Revisiting an old thread to add another option for reasonable priced rings

http://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au

Their diamonds are GIA certified which is pretty reputable and their prices are much cheaper than Aussie mainstream stores.

Whilst not quite as cheap as some USA online shops, once you add in customs + insurance + not being able to see what you are buying I'm happy to pay a small premium to get it local. Just not happy to pay a 200% premium that many local jewellers are charging.

GIA certified 1.5ct Princess G colour, VS2 is $10k. I was quoted $22k for similar by Rosendorffs

Back