Black Soil around Redbank Plains

Hi Guys,
I am buying a property in BellBird Park, and I read a lot about checking black soil. I couldn't find information about this black soil. I understand it causes slab movement. but how to check if my house has a black soil or not?

is it related to the suburb or street?, will this appear in the build report? should I ask the council?

Your help will be much appreciated.:)

Thanks
Ram

How old is the house? I have seen cracks out there I could put my hand through. If the house is more than 5-10 yrs old you should either see the cracks or probably be ok. Its more complicated that just black soil. Its soil, local moisture, drainage, slab method and quality etc etc that will either cause more or less cracking.

Hi Guys,
I am buying a property in BellBird Park, and I read a lot about checking black soil. I couldn't find information about this black soil. I understand it causes slab movement. but how to check if my house has a black soil or not?

is it related to the suburb or street?, will this appear in the build report? should I ask the council?

Thanks
Ram

One of my brothers sons bought out there this time last year ,and it is in the :black-red-soil: area just a 3 bed-one bathroom on a small land area,and from what we looked at most of the houses in those small streets
there was no problems the problems start when you get heavy rain then hot weather then rain again then you will get movement..imho..

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Ram

The soil info you're after is more the realm of the geotechnical field rather than the building/structural side of things. Approximately what year was the house built? Council files for the dwelling might contain the geotechnical info you're after?

In short, black soil is highly sensitive to changes in ground moisture which cause it to heave and shrink over time. Gardening habits and proximity of plants and other ground infrastructure to houses also influence how house foundations react on this type of ground.

Interesting article on black soil in Australia: http://www.ecosmagazine.com/?act=view_file&file_id=EC41p13.pdf

Adelaideans in particular who live in some parts of the city are familiar with black soil as it is quite common through the northern and eastern suburbs.

New Investor

Thanks guys for all your replies. It is really helpful.

The house was build in 1995, I will have the build inspection tomorrow. I contacted the council to ask about the black soil, and the planner told me that they cannot provide me with this information. I need to do a soil check to be able to know.

I will contact the builder and see how much it will cost.

But as knightm said, it there is no cracks until now, it should be OK.

Will update you with the response from the builder if any cost is required for the soil test.

Thanks
Ram

The house was build in 1995, I will have the build inspection tomorrow.
Ram

If the house is 19 yrs old then past behaviour is generally regarded as the best predictor of future behaviour (in my opinion). The existence of cracks and/or the build report on existing structure is what i would give most credence to in that case.

How did the build inspection go?

If the house is 19 yrs old then past behaviour is generally regarded as the best predictor of future behaviour (in my opinion). The existence of cracks and/or the build report on existing structure is what i would give most credence to in that case.

How did the build inspection go?

Hi Guys ,
The build report came back without a single issue, the structure in a very good condition, nothing with the slab, bricks, structure, or the roof.

Couple of minor issue in the gutter, broken window glass,..etc.

Thanks for all your help, fingers crossed for settlement end of Jan.

Thanks
Ram

Congrats New_Investor.

Probably a bit late now, but we have a couple of IP's in the older original part of Redbank Plains. Just found out we have to have a cracked sewer pipe repaired due to black soil movement, but other than that ... no issue with the black soil.

Good luck
Mystery

Back