Blocked toilet - landlord pays right?

Hi everyone

My tenant had a blocked toilet. They called Jims plumbing to have it fixed. They have sent the receipt to the agent to let me know, but not expecting to be reimbursed.

Im more than happy to pay for it. Am I missing something? Why does the tenant not expect to be reimbursed?

Thanks.

Perhaps the plumber found sanitary items or other things flushed that caused the blockage and the agent may have told the tenant this is something they've done wrong and therefore should pay the account?

What wylie said ^^^.
And deservedly so if tenant has caused the blockage.

We have an IP with a tree & it's roots accessing the sewer. Once every couple years we have it cleared for a couple hundred bucks.

One day I'll get down there and replace the pipe with PVC and poison the tree.

That's our proplem, not the tenants.

I don't understand why you would think it's the landlord's responsibility? Unless it was identified that a tree root or similar had pentrated and blocked a sewer line it has most likely been caused by a tenant putting something down the toilet they shouldn't have.

I don't understand why you would think it's the landlord's responsibility? Unless it was identified that a tree root or similar had pentrated and blocked a sewer line it has most likely been caused by a tenant putting something down the toilet they shouldn't have.

This has been and always will be a issue of who is responsible.I argue till i am blue in the face with all my managers,its their $hit and they should pay to have the drain cleaned,unless it is a tree root,and the plumber can tell you that.

Why don't you get in touch with the plumber and ask for the cause of the blockage? His/her answer should clarify whether it's your problem or the tenants' problem.
Tree roots - your problem
Sanitary items, Lego blocks, etc - their problem

Reason being he only moved in in September and it's an old house, so I thought it could be my issue.

So what did the plumber say was the problem ,and cost if this has happened before over a 3 year period then their may be other problems if the water bills are high..

Hi everyone

My tenant had a blocked toilet. They called Jims plumbing to have it fixed. They have sent the receipt to the agent to let me know, but not expecting to be reimbursed.

Im more than happy to pay for it. Am I missing something? Why does the tenant not expect to be reimbursed?

Thanks.

They tried disposing of three cubic metres of concrete down the loo?

Edit - they simply may not know the rules.

I am also stunned as to why you would expect the landlord to pay for this?

Way to jump in boots and all, I thought OPs question was actually pretty reasonable.

Onion, that is a hideous price for a callout and unblocking a toilet. For that price I'd have expected him/her to fix the problem.

no its not a hideous price. The call out and if onsite for 3 hrs and they used a camera to view..yr looking 150 - 200 hundge an hour..plus a sewer block..u dont know if it was urgent or on a sunday morning

ring and get yr own quote..(2).call the drain man, they insert sleeves into the pipes to avoid digging it up...but depends if they can on sewer...

Back