Blue Chip Summary Post

Ripped off

We, like many, invested in a Blue Chip property about a year ago. The deal seemed legit enough...we buy an apartment through them and they organise the tenants etc for at least the first 4 years (guaranteed). We even asked the question - what if Blue Chip went under? The reply was "you'll still own the property...you can just rent it out yourselves".

When the rent stopped coming in (for 3 months) we took over and starting renting it out ourselves. We didn't (and still don't) expect to get back that 3 months of rent....which is not that big a deal in the scheme of things (a few thousand dollars).

The thing that keeps us up at night is now realising that our apartment is only worth HALF what we bought it for! :mad: We bought it based on a registered valuation of $298,000. Now we've had backdated valuations done (where they consider sales history of the same time) and they come in at around $160,000! I'm not sure I understand how a company can get away with over-valuing real estate by almost 100%!

You might think we should've had an independant valuation done, and looking back...you're right; we should have. But to be honest, I thought there were guidelines etc that ensured property valuers were expected to give a fairly accurate figure. And I really did expect laws to protect people like us who relied on a valuation to make an investment decision.

But apparently not.

Apparently we now must live with our bad choice. Apparently we're the lucky ones because our properties actually exist. We don't feel very lucky...our networth has dropped $140,000.

So the morale of this story is...don't invest in Blue Chip. The company and all it's related companies are corrupt and they don't have any morales.

That seems like a good idea Y-man. On the other side of the ditch, we've been surprised at the lack of action against this guy. The theory being that our incumbent government doesn't want to stir up another mess to deal with heading into an election.

I'm sure there was some greed and ignorance involved and from what I've heard, there was an awful lot of real naivity. These people were handed what appeared to be "property investment on a platter"... use our lawyers... our financial advisers... our valuers... our property managers... our finance company... our furniture package... our carpet company... it seems there was nowhere that they didn't clip the ticket! However, they were also claiming that they were insured by Lloyds of London when they weren't.

Many people who put large (like $100k) deposits on properties still have nothing more to show for it than a hole in the ground years afterwards.

Alex, I think that any further exposure of Mark Bryers and Blue Chip is good. Yes, hopefully most of the people on here will be savvy enough not to get caught out by his Australian entities; Barkley Walsh and Northern Crest. However, if there is nothing on the most prominent Australian property forum to expose this guy for what he is then Joe Bloggs doing a search won't find much to help him.

You might think we should've had an independant valuation done, and looking back...you're right; we should have. But to be honest, I thought there were guidelines etc that ensured property valuers were expected to give a fairly accurate figure. And I really did expect laws to protect people like us who relied on a valuation to make an investment decision.

Hi imkrystal,

Thank you for posting.

Did you take out a loan / finance against the property? If so, it should have been the financing company's duty to get an accuate valuation - unless of course the finance company was part of the dodgy deal!

We recently had a company in Australia that sold apartments that didn't even exist. They said they could get "Bank Guarantees".

What was very deviously clever was that the company had merely set up another arm called "XYZ Bank" (they realised they could use register a company name like this without being a real bank!), and XYZ Bank issued the guarantee! :eek:

There were people who lost over half a million in the deals - their money and their parent's money (after they recommened the products to their retired parents).

Your loss will hurt bad for now - but time will ease the pain, and hopefully motivate you even more to move forward.

When we got scammed, my wife lost money that she had saved up over 6 years of scrimping and working many hours. Imagine how that felt....

Cheers,

The Y-man

That seems like a good idea Y-man. On the other side of the ditch, we've been surprised at the lack of action against this guy. .

It took 6 years for ASIC to take action against the guy that scammed us in our first property deal - he had duped a few more people in the meant time. If he was a bit smarter, he could have moved overseas (he wasn't that smart, and he got a bit too greedy!)

Cheers,

The Y-man

These people were handed what appeared to be "property investment on a platter"... use our lawyers... our financial advisers... our valuers... our property managers... our finance company... our furniture package... our carpet company... .

But wait there's more! What about:

The Rental Guarantee (indexed for the next 100 years, and we will pay even if the property is vacant!)

The free flight to the back of nowhere to let you see the properties first hand (and we won't bring you back until you sign!)

Bank Valuation! (won't say which country the Bank is in!)

and so on.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yes, Blue Chip offered rent guarantees and they also had a bank account for deposits named something like "Blue Chip Trust Account", which wasn't actually a trust account. People are already losing their homes over this.

We, like many, invested in a Blue Chip property about a year ago. The deal seemed legit enough...we buy an apartment through them and they organise the tenants etc for at least the first 4 years (guaranteed). We even asked the question - what if Blue Chip went under? The reply was "you'll still own the property...you can just rent it out yourselves".

When the rent stopped coming in (for 3 months) we took over and starting renting it out ourselves. We didn't (and still don't) expect to get back that 3 months of rent....which is not that big a deal in the scheme of things (a few thousand dollars).

The thing that keeps us up at night is now realising that our apartment is only worth HALF what we bought it for! :mad: We bought it based on a registered valuation of $298,000. Now we've had backdated valuations done (where they consider sales history of the same time) and they come in at around $160,000! I'm not sure I understand how a company can get away with over-valuing real estate by almost 100%!

But apparently not.

Apparently we now must live with our bad choice. Apparently we're the lucky ones because our properties actually exist. We don't feel very lucky...our networth has dropped $140,000.

So the morale of this story is...don't invest in Blue Chip. The company and all it's related companies are corrupt and they don't have any morales.
My wife and I are in a very similar state. We took a second mortgage on our home as a down payment on a hotel unit that was always referred to as an "apartment". We also took out another mortgage against the hotel unit as well. Hundreds of sheets of paper guaranteeing everything all signed by accountants, lawyers and company reps. 21 companies in liquidation later, we now own a unit that is not worth what our investment was. All the guarantees are gone and we are left with out of pocket payments every month on interest only loans, GST bills and accountant fees. We never had much and saw this as a way to make life just a bit easier for ourselves. I don't mind working as long as it is for my wife and I, but now we must both work through our retirement for Mark Bryers.
Yet another first hand report.

Another story

I, Sudhir MOtwani of Welington NZ, ought a house off the plan for NZD 495000 with a deposit of $ 113,200 which was supposed tobe saf and used for the property. I got interest until Oct 07 when that stopped andnow the company that sold has gone io receivership with no assets!! The company was a subsidiary of BCFS (through some links of course) and bye bye deposit!!

Happy to receive a phone call or an email to provide proof if required. There is only person by that name in the phonebook.

So from y perspective Barkely Walsh and Northen Crest ae all the same: they cant just create a NZ franchise and then say "all leghacy issues" are soltaed there - v convenient to do all of this paper work and s...w investors.

New Address for Northern Crest

To serve Statutory Demands or other legal papers, Northern Crest ( aka Blue
Chip) has recently changed its address for service details to Wellington no doubt to make it harder to serve documents.

Here are the new details 12 May:

Registered Office C/-Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, 125 The Terrace, Wellington,
New Zealand 12-MAY-2008 Address for Service C/-Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, 125 The Terrace, Wellington,
New Zealand 12-MAY-2008 Address for Communication C/-Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, Barristers & Solicitors,
125 The Terrace, Wellington

Blue Chip

Our experiences.
1/ Changing the Property Manager without our or others consent as per the Property Management Agreement but by letter.
2/ Changing the rental from Weekly in advance to Monthly in arrears where no provision existed in the lease.
3/ Trying to decrease the rent again where no provision existed in the lease.
4/ Rents for Sept/Oct & Nov 1 - 2 weeks late.
5/ No rents for Dec, Jan or Feb up to liquidation date and unlikely to recover.
6/ As said on National TV by Mark Bryers that deposit monies were used for shortfalls in rent, maintenance etc.
7/ No maintenance carried out on apartments despite requests from tenants.
8/ Non payment of rates to local bodies despite being deducted from rent.
9/ Non payment of Body Corp fees.
10/ Non payment of electricity a/c despite tenants paying body corp, body corp was run by Bribanc.
11/ No Code Compliance Certificate on our & others units although there could be argument here between Blue Sky Holdings & the local body.

It's not like we haven't had our share of failed investment schemes.

Alex, I don't think this was a failed "scheme", I believe it was a very successful "scheme" for the people that introduced it.
I agree we need to let the "average Jane/Joe" know about what is/can happen. As you are savvy to investments and the Sydney area, can you point us in a direction to send our correspondence rather than blindly search the web hoping to hit the right target?
Thanks.

All the guarantees are gone and we are left with out of pocket payments every month on interest only loans, GST bills and accountant fees. We never had much and saw this as a way to make life just a bit easier for ourselves. I don't mind working as long as it is for my wife and I, but now we must both work through our retirement for Mark Bryers.
Yet another first hand report.
All i can say is go out and buy a by a book by Olly Newland-The Day The Bubble Bursts,he is a Kiwi Long Term investor and read the book several times,because what is starting to happen in NZ is a real worry for anyone investing in OTP developments in that country,as long as you hold the property everything will balance itself out in the long run,NZ has had several booms and busts in real estate , interesting they were also in line with the price of Oil Shocks and Stock Market Bloodbaths everytime from 1970 onwards,this time will be no different.
willair..

Alex, I don't think this was a failed "scheme", I believe it was a very successful "scheme" for the people that introduced it.
I agree we need to let the "average Jane/Joe" know about what is/can happen. As you are savvy to investments and the Sydney area, can you point us in a direction to send our correspondence rather than blindly search the web hoping to hit the right target?
Thanks.

ACA, TT and Jenman are the usual channels......

Cheers,

The Y-man

In reply

Alexlee

I have been reliably informed that all the main media, including the daily papers, TV, the ASX, and financial journals etc have all been fully informed.

However, typically they have chosen not to follow the story up. Only Jenman has shown genuine interest.

I could understand the indifference if this was a purely NZ affair, but this is not the case. Blue Chip, now sporting new names, Northern Crest (code NOC with associated Barkley Walsh) is a listed Australian public company, selling virtually the same product that has caused so much misery to so many in NZ.

click here:

http://www.northerncrest.com.au/default.aspx

Mr Julian Gosse is the chairman and a director, as is Jim Bracknell both from Sydney and so is Mark Bryers from NZ.

What else can Blue Chip victims do to under the circumstances? All advice gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
I really don't see what else you can do in terms of getting the word out, then. I'm sure you're already pursuing whatever legal remedies might be available.

However, I really don't think you'll achieve much posting links and so on here. I like to think that we are generally pretty savvy about those things here. If you read the forum, you'll note that such schemes, off the plan, etc find little support.

We've had these problems before, and no doubt there are plenty going on right now. I really suggest you keep getting the mainstream media interested. I would have thought ACA would be.

In light of this, I find Willair's post very ironic.
Alex

in reply

Alexlee

You may be "pretty savvy" but the general public is not.

With respect, I find your remarks on the subject typical of the indifference that runs through many "experienced" Aussie investors.

Having owned several apartments and commercial properties in Australia, I can speak with some authority on the subject.

"I'm all right Jack" is wrong way to treat this subject.

Seeing as they are listed, are a group of you able to buy some shares and get to the AGM?

You can then ask some "interesting questions" which will need to be minuted and reported on.

Cheers,

The Y-man

You may be "pretty savvy" but the general public is not.

I understand, but the general public doesn't read this forum. Therefore putting out the message here isn't going to reach them.

With respect, I find your remarks on the subject typical of the indifference that runs through many "experienced" Aussie investors.

Having owned several apartments and commercial properties in Australia, I can speak with some authority on the subject.

I agree with you, both about your authority and my relative indifference.

"I'm all right Jack" is wrong way to treat this subject.

I just don't think you're going to gain anything by airing it here, because you're not going to reach the people you want to reach.
Alex

Back