Blue to PINK. Targeting WOMEN

We have re-branded our real estate agency, changed the brand and logo colours from blue to pink and gave it a female name.

From our experience and also that of other agents, the real estate industry is a very female dominated market. Women are predominantly the ones to make decisions for buying homes and (surprisingly) rental properties too.

Just want a general consensus here on this forum whether that is true for you?

I'd especially like comments from other agents and property managers on here.

Ironically though, I am the only female in our office, so if anything I use our new branding to threaten the boys that I will make them wear a pink uniform and drive a pink car. It's a great blackmail tool :cool:;)

I would suggest using a Poll...

In my family (extended) it is predominately a shared experience where the emotional commitment is normally from the female side and financial commitment from the male side. This is from 3 families... not being sexist, just answering the question. ;) Perhaps we are not the norm...

Hope it works out. Personally, I look for good service when choosing property managers, and don't give a stuff about the selling agent. I'm never planning to sell a property, and even if I did I'd probably do so myself rather than using an agent.

What if you were buying? who has the final say?

We do it together - neither has the final say. My wife hasn't even been inside several of our IPs, she simply sees the numbers and we decide together. She hates negotiating, so I take care of it. She is awesome with contracts, so she does that. I deal with the agents.

Joint decision for us as well, and we both make the final decision. In the end we both need to be comfortable with an IP, or a PPOR we live in.

However, for us, I do the numbers and "details" stuff, and the wife does the negotiation and contacting all parties. Just the nature of our careers.

It's nice you have re-branded, but I personally couldn't care less what a logo looks like, or the name of a company, as long as the service is good and at a reasonable price. People don't buy property based on a real estate agent.

In keeping with the female theme, you can offer PMS :p (Property Management Services)- that time of month that men dread, when the once a month management fees get deducted from the rent.

Ha ha ha, love it. Not sure how our male property manager would be able to do that :D:

I agree personal service exceeds colours, branding helps in a different way.

I make all our property decisions as I handle all our money, I discuss everything first but it is usually me who has the final say. As a chick, a female branded logo might get me in the front door but certainly wouldn't keep me if I didn't get the service I wanted.

I hadn't given it much thought before, but you just caused to me stocktake on it all.

-Yes, I am researcher, purchaser, deal maker with all our investing, plus the after purchase/build touches. Also manager for nearest IP, and all interaction with our PM's-who are all female.

-My stepsister who has a considerable portfolio is sole researcher, buyer, manager-all decisions, and finance arranger, (where as I like to seek assistance in my lessor strengths, we have a mortgage broker.) Also female.

-Our accountants, 3 female, 1 male.

-Our tradies include a female painter and her team, but when/where I can I like to do it, handyman is well, a man :), plumber who has his daughter as apprentice, (his son left to own bakery delight franchise), electricians a choice of female or male, we use whoever can make it to us soonest, lawyers both gender, the female lawyer is meticulous, same trait in the male lawyer, but he kind of complains a lot, toughest RE I ever dealt with, a female...

-Our (regular) mechanic is a female, has/runs an excellent business here in woop woop, not much of a talker, more the doer. Since she has taken over the local business she has put on extra apprentices the business is building up that much, initially she copped a lot of flack, ridicule, as time progressed people shut up. :)) She also invests in some property.

SES and local fire brigade equal gender reps.

-Local cop=female (tough, I think the Xenia of Police! )

-My younger sister is fully responsible for all her investing, likes control over everything, much more in the personality of my stepsister. She has commercial IP's and resi.

-One male friend an investor, he does everything, but has a girlfriend who also came into the relationship with IP's. They keep their IP stuff separate but exchange info.:)

-A few other female acquaintances I meet, not close friends but do all the investing themselves, some are in a relationship some divorced.

-My buying has been a mixture of buying mostly from male agents, but more and more female agents coming onto the scene too.

-The banking industry, the bit I do deal with, mixture of male/female, my immediate bank manager is female and I used to babysit her.

I enjoy interacting with them all, gender is no concern from my behalf dealing with people, generally speaking I am a people person, I love people and am interested in them, even with business, I will be doing my business and studying the person I am dealing with, (in my head).

My business has been good. I enjoy creating wealth and accumulating assets, people are a part of that journey.

The guys in the background of myself, my family, friends are quite the strong personalities in their own right, but they just enjoy doing other stuff, supporting us girls when, where they can, they just are not particularly driven to be in the forefront with property. They make their own choices which is important to me...the only behaviour we control is our own.

As for colors, I like color obvious for the reason it's easy to find, but blue, pink, purple, yellow:) is of no concern....it's more good service, good work..

All interesting though.

Last edited:
Just for a change, or experience has been the complete opposite to OO's.

I'm in charge of research / sifting / rejection and ultimately selection / negotiation and closing deals. The wife is busy with the kids lives and likes it that way.

The vast majority of the people I interact with are male.

• Every single real estate agent we have ever bought off were male.
  • Our first Banker was male.
  • Our personal Bankers (we went through 6, were all male).
  • Our private Bankers (we've been thru 3, were all male).
  • Our current mortgage broker is male.
  • Our solicitor over east is male.
  • Our solicitor in Perth however is female, and all of her team underneath her are female. They're good.
  • We've only fleetingly used a few PMs over the years, they were all female - but rubbish.
  • All of the Vendors we have ever dealt with are represented by males.
  • All of the Vendors solicitors were all male.
  • All of my existing Tenants are represented by males.
  • With our new purchase, we've inherited a few female Tenants, and they are painful.
  • Our most recent settlement agent was female, and she was excellent (Owner of the business).
  • Every building inspector we have ever employed was a male.
  • Every tradesman we have ever employed was a male....literally.

As you can see Xenia, my impression of the whole real estate world is that it is completely dominated by males. I'd agree with you though that the vast majority of PMs are female.

In terms of who to choose to interact with and do business with, it has nothing to do with what's underneath.....but rather, if they are the Owner of the business or not. For me, this is the crucial distinction about whether you get good service or not.

A disinterested lowly staff numpty who doesn't care, just wants to get paid and go home, and more importantly isn't interested nor hungry to secure your business is frustrating to deal with. I would much prefer to deal with the Principal of a small business who has the authority to talk with me and make decisions, rather than someone employed at a large firm saying "I'm sorry, I'll have to get my boss."

If I had houses for let in Adelaide, you would be on my radar Xenia, as I know you have the right attitude for business. However, if I got palmed off to one of "your boys" down the food chain and wasn't able to establish everything contractually with you cos you were 'too busy', 'too important' or 'didn't do that stuff anymore' then I would seek a Principal / Owner who would.

I take that as a compliment Dazz, thanks.

My husband makes all the purchasing decisions also about investment properties, it's in his line of work and he loves the research. The difference is that if I don't like something (anything) I can persuade him to see my side. If he does not like something, I can persuade him to see my side also. Many women have this ..... gift of influence ;)

Back