Bob Brown's speech -how do Greenies view it?

I know there are alot of very anti-Green people on the forum. I'm fairly sure I know what your reaction will be to Bob Brown's speech on the weeked where he talked about life on other planets and a global parliament and it just confirms all the reasons why you dont support the Greens..... and thats not really what I want to get out of this thread.

But I'd be really interested to hear the reaction from Greens' supporters...

did it make you feel more or less confident in Bob Brown and the Greens? Were you surprised by his interstellar focus? How do you feel about global government? Being called an "Earthian"?

I have to say I agree with the attached opinion piece and a similar one in the SMH. The speech has largely gone unreported and Bob Brown has largely got by without any challenge. It reminded me of Newt Gingrich's speech a few months ago, where he talked about moon colonies, and I think completely destroyed any chance Newt had of being a serious contender in the Republican race. In that case, the media were all over it, ridiculing him.... I would be interested to see what the media reaction would have been if someone like Newt or Bob Katter had been the speaker.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-watch-bob-brown/story-fn8qlm5e-1226315848343

There was little reaction and under reporting because people have come to expect that kind of rubbish from the Greens (not just BB).

Even crazier is these crazies are having a big say in how this counrty is run, when only a small percentage voted for them (thanks Julia) - no I don't think most Greens supporters listen to or read their speeches. I think they think it's all warm and fuzzy humanitarian, save the planets... oops, planet stuff.

I think the reason they got in is because of a perfect astrological alignment of the planets; that won't be repeating itself any time soon :eek:;).

Hi Penny

That article sits behind a paywall for those of who don't value the opinions of News Corp.

The actual text of the speech can be seen here...

Perhaps you would find a greater number of Greens supporters on the Greens website to ask your question? Unlikely to find many here...

Hi Penny

That article sits behind a paywall for those of who don't value the opinions of News Corp.

The actual text of the speech can be seen here...

Perhaps you would find a greater number of Greens supporters on the Greens website to ask your question? Unlikely to find many here...

Thanks.... I was looking for the link to the actual speech, but couldnt find it before I posted.

I know there arent alot of Greens supporters on here.... but there are a few, I think.

I hope they are willing to speak up to give their opinion. I am genuinely interested to hear their reaction...... the reason I ask here and not on a Greens website is the "community".. Somersoft Earthians are people I "know" and to a large degree respect, rather than random Green supporters. My other option was to ask my Facebook friends, who I know include Greens supporters. But I try to avoid posting anything political on my FB page...so Somersoft got the gig instead.....

sounds like he just watched zeitgeist: moving forward

I dont have an affiliation with any political party, but I often worry about the world my kids are growing up in and where humanity is headed.

I agree with his position that multinational corporations currently have the upper hand on the governments of the worlds various nations. I also agree that our government needs to have a more global perspective and cooperation... I just cant see it happening.

Personally I think it all needs to collapse, before it can be rebuilt

I agree with his position that multinational corporations currently have the upper hand on the governments of the worlds various nations. I also agree that our government needs to have a more global perspective and cooperation... I just cant see it happening.

Personally I think it all needs to collapse, before it can be rebuilt

I kinda get where you're coming from, but I'd keep BB out of things :eek:.

If he had his way, it would all collapse (with a big smile on his face), and not ever be rebuilt.

Things don't get rebuilt when governments run corporations, individuals, the media, etc.

As poetic and humanitarian as he might sound, that's what he's all about.

Bob Brown can be the president of the intergalactic convention on tree hugging for all I care. As long as he's on his own planet, by himself.

I read the full speech.

I felt like I was reading the journal of a ponderous amateur writer.

The global parliament evangelism sends shivers down my spine.

There once was a time when I thought the Greens, despite their ineptitude and shameless idealism, were the lesser evil. Oh, how young I was.

ok, Ill bite. I havent read the speech, and while I dont agree we need a world government, we do need something to counterbalance multi national companies.

Im at a loss for another suggestion to this issue. capitalism is very good at adapting, and entrenching power and vested interests, it seems only governments have had any success in the past of limiting or changing it.....

A bit of self regulation perhaps?
With all the sovereign wealth transfer after the GFC, its not inconcievable for a world government to emerge. For instance, if the US dollar loses its mojo, and the government deficits continue to balloon, perhaps some elected whacko will try to nationalise google and microsoft, leading to open confrontation between companies and governments.

Id argue the only reason this sort of conflict between companies and governments hasnt happened yet is the governement are captured by big business.

The only other people who are talking about global govt are those who are believers of the conspiracy theory of the Rockefellers, Illuminati, Masons etc.

Seem odd bedfellows really, perhaps the Greens are secretly funded by the shadow organisations that want to rule the world.

Have the Greens advocate one global govt then take control of that government after it is in place.

It is all about wealth, power and egos, doesn't matter who is in control, all the same in the long term.

I agree that some people honestly do want to help but they eventually lose control of their organisation and it heads off on the same old track. Greenpeace is an excellent example the original guy was squeezed out, now it is controlled by radicals.

I haven't read the speech but do want to clarify - do you mean greenies or Greens?
Big difference.

Greens are a political party, and most greenies I know are no more supporters of the Greens than anyone else in the community (8% someone said?). So I'm not sure of your question? I'd expect a higher % of Greens would support/agree with him, but I wouldn't expect more than about 8% of greenies to.

Disclosure: my qualifications are in biology/ecology science, from which I developed a 'greenie' outlook. Politics I have little/no time for.

I haven't read the speech but do want to clarify - do you mean greenies or Greens?
Big difference.

Greens are a political party, and most greenies I know are no more supporters of the Greens than anyone else in the community (8% someone said?). So I'm not sure of your question? I'd expect a higher % of Greens would support/agree with him, but I wouldn't expect more than about 8% of greenies to.

Disclosure: my qualifications are in biology/ecology science, from which I developed a 'greenie' outlook. Politics I have little/no time for.

I'd be happy with feedback from either to be honest.....

I disagree with your estimate of 8% of greenies to be greens supporters. I think a much higher percentage of those who are passionate about climate change etc vote for the greens because they dont see enough action on the climate from the other political parties. I guess my question goes to the point of whether they understand the rest of what they get from the Greens, and when they see some of those things, does it make them more or less likely to support them.

If I were to look at those of my friends who support the Greens, they would primarily be scientists, academics and athiests. Bob Browns speech seemed to be particularly unscientific and sounded very "new agey"/ spiritual........I think it would have made a lot of supporters very uncomfortable.

But I would be interested to know whether that is actually the case.

BTW, the speech is definitely worthwhile taking a look thru, whether you agree with BB or not....it is one of the most unusual speeches I've ever heard from a politician

Back