Body corporate meetings

Evening ss?ers I have never held a strata or body corporate property before but I am looking at purchasing one now. Do PMs generally attend strata or body corporate meetings on your behalf ?

Not usually. If you want them to attend, then you need to authorise them as your proxy & pay them for their attendance. But it would be in your interest if you don't have any other representative that you could trust or can't make it yourself but you would need to instruct them as to how you want to vote.

Not usually. If you want them to attend, then you need to authorise them as your proxy & pay them for their attendance. But it would be in your interest if you don't have any other representative that you could trust or can't make it yourself but you would need to instruct them as to how you want to vote.

Thanks Scott - I am interstate so I wasn't sure how it would work

Evening ss?ers I have never held a strata or body corporate property before but I am looking at purchasing one now. Do PMs generally attend strata or body corporate meetings on your behalf ?

No for an IP in QLD, I receive paperwork, so if you can read you can submit proxies to vote on your behalf with the owners corporation. Some I do not reply at all.
For an IP in NSW, it's local so I do attend, especially the AGM's or if issues are of concern to me.:)

Most strata's have one or two "stackers" who gather proxies from owners and vote for or against on particular issues. Sometimes they ram things through or just act to obstruct so take care. This can happen in large complexes that are new. One original (dev) owner may even control the votes. Get to know who is who and stay in contact and don't assume they will vote in your interests. Check and give your proxy to someone who seems to reflect your similar interest.

In older lots resident oldies can take over who have nothing better to do and can act to avoid spending $ or over do it and want to charge levies to gold plate the joint. They tend to try and make onerous rules about fines, parking, noise, common area use, balconies etc. Find someone to give proxy who wont misuse it too.

Most strata's have one or two "stackers" who gather proxies from owners and vote for or against on particular issues. Sometimes they ram things through or just act to obstruct so take care. This can happen in large complexes that are new. One original (dev) owner may even control the votes. Get to know who is who and stay in contact and don't assume they will vote in your interests. Check and give your proxy to someone who seems to reflect your similar interest.

In older lots resident oldies can take over who have nothing better to do and can act to avoid spending $ or over do it and want to charge levies to gold plate the joint. They tend to try and make onerous rules about fines, parking, noise, common area use, balconies etc. Find someone to give proxy who wont misuse it too.

sounds like drama - I am only looking at small blocks with max 50% investors. Maybe I'll just stick to houses or duplex

sounds like drama - I am only looking at small blocks with max 50% investors. Maybe I'll just stick to houses or duplex

It can be . I'm going to a meeting with a fellow director tonight to talk over issues after the last meeting became quite heated .

We have a oldie who is opposed to most thing and new people who want changes . And finally some one who is prepared to push things through despite opposition from the oldie who wants things to stay the same .

All comes down to , is the investment worth it ?

We have friends who just bought in a block near blues point tower . They've watched the block for years and know that most of the sales occur because people have been unable to get changes they want past the powers that effectively run the place . They're happy with it the way it is .

Cliff

The ones we were involved in always sent out voting forms prior to the meeting, setting the issues to be voted on and we could show on each whether we were in favour or not, effectively lodging a vote. We did this in preference to a proxy which may be used contrary to our wishes.
Marg

Back