Body IQ

Is anyone coming from US to Sydney? :)
There are companies who will ship things from the US- it's shipped to their US based address and forwarded on. The company I used was just OK- it did take a fair while for my item, supposedly sent by air, to arrive. You have the additional advantage that it could track its own movements ;-)

Saw a similar product featured on the teev a few months ago....I think it was an app for the Ipad actually...punch in all sorts of data, get the results, move forward and live life.

My initial reaction was it could turn a lot of folk into a totally anal and panicked mess about whether every minute of their life is on the right track.

I think I would prefer to save my $200, eat sensibly and healthily, do a bit of exercise, a bit of work, a bit of play, spend time with the kids, sleep better... and magically stay pretty healthy.

Maybe I simply must have some technology to do that for me though?

I could buy a lot of wine and chocolate with that $200. ;):D

Maybe I simply [I said:
must[/I] have some technology to do that for me though?

I could buy a lot of wine and chocolate with that $200. ;):D

Yes, that sounds good, especially the wine and chocolate:p

There is a much better device to tell you how you are travelling and it's found just about everywhere so very convenient, does not need batteries/power/fuel so green friendly, reasonably cheap to buy depending upon your prefered level of prestige etc.
Needs absolutely no data input except to stand in front of it but records absolutely perfectly your current state of health. No other item can give as accurate an output.

There is a much better device to tell you how you are travelling and it's found just about everywhere so very convenient, does not need batteries/power/fuel so green friendly, reasonably cheap to buy depending upon your prefered level of prestige etc.
Needs absolutely no data input except to stand in front of it but records absolutely perfectly your current state of health. No other item can give as accurate an output.
They use it half way through "The Biggest Loser" sometimes to show the before and during version of the contestant.

I try not to use it at all, because I know how bad the report will be. ;):D

I think it's a nifty little piece of tech. It's basically working on health from a social engineering point of view by giving you progressive goals and monitoring progress. A lot of the website talks about meeting achievable goals and building on that.

Anybody can loose weight, it's really easy. Just eat healthier food in more appropriate portions. The hard part is putting your head in the right place and keeping it there long term. This system is designed to help people form healthier habits.

I'm slowly reaching the 40 mark. So keeping the health is the highest priority now.
I walk to station (12 min).
Walk around a little during lunch time.
Play tennis twice a week (1.5-2 hrs doubles)
Cycling once a week (~30 mins)
Get about 6-7 hrs of broken sleep thanks to 3 kids under 5.

So $200 isn't too much if I can to measure the above and improve my activities systematically. As long as it works though :)

I'm slowly reaching the 40 mark. So keeping the health is the highest priority now.

So $200 isn't too much if I can to measure the above and improve my activities systematically. As long as it works though :)

Overanalysing will probably make things worse in my opinion.
You have already measured your activity as listed above.
Improvement would simply be doing more distance in the same time, or doing the same distance in less time, in the example of cycling.
If you can't remember these figures by memory, which is very simple, a simple note will take care of that.
No complex calculations required.

Don't forget to take care of your diet too.

Was recently gifted this as a Christmas pressie.

http://www.fitbit.com/au/flex/specs

It syncs wireless via Bluetooth to your laptop/ipad/certain mobile phones and upload the data to their website which you can then compare with your group. Kinda push you to be more active when there is a ladder against your mates.

Available in Australia for around $120.

You are doing plenty as it is. Anything more than that is no gaurantee you are going to live longer. I have relo's in their 90's who did nothing more than a bit of physical work during their life and they fine.

I think this over obsession people have with fitness is a bit misguided. There is going to be a lot of knee replacement and shoulder reconstructions going on in 20 years time I reckon.

You are doing plenty as it is. Anything more than that is no gaurantee you are going to live longer. I have relo's in their 90's who did nothing more than a bit of physical work during their life and they fine.
Aim is definitely not to live longer. It is to live healthier as long as we live. It is to engage (sports, travel.. etc) with kids or even grand-kids down the track.

Aim is definitely not to live longer. It is to live healthier as long as we live. It is to engage (sports, travel.. etc) with kids or even grand-kids down the track.

Same thing though, if you start doing more heavy impact activities how do you think your body is going to be in 20 or 30 years time. It kind of works in the opposite way. The fitness you do now will benefit you now but not necessarily down the track. Im 32 now, still carrying injuries I did to myself as a labourer 10 years ago, they aint going away. Ok, it's not sport but it's heavy impact abuse that you do to your body that causes problems.

I reckon the real trick is to eat correctly and just do low impact exercise like walking. Anything that involves heavy impacts, jumping, straining yourself etc, not worth it. All these meat puppets doing Cross fit and playing rugby for "fun" on the weekends are going to be rolling around in wheel chairs in 30 years time.

Back