BoE lowering rates to avert a recession

BoE lowering rates

Here they talk about lowering the BoE rate to avert a recession. Which has a double effect for landlords

Borrowing gets cheaper and debt balance is devalued due to inflation running above the BoE targets:

Bloomberg News

BOE Walks `Tightrope' on Interest Rates, Bean Says (Update1)

By Brian Swint

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of England Chief Economist Charles Bean said that policy makers are walking a `tightrope'' as consumer prices rise and the worldwide seizure of credit markets exacerbates the economic slowdown.

``Inflation is likely to exceed 3 percent again during the second half of this year,'' Bean said yesterday in London. ``The dislocation in credit markets has worsened, but pricing pressures have also intensified. We will be unveiling new projections that take these developments on board'' in May.

The comments suggest Bean remains comfortable with the pace of interest-rate reductions by the U.K. central bank after three cuts since December to 5 percent. While speculation of falling rates to avert a recession pushed the pound to a record low against the euro this week, Bean's remarks also suggest inflation may match the highest level in a decade this year.

``So far, we have judged that a relatively modest easing in bank rate was warranted,'' Bean said. ``That easing has roughly offset the rise in the cost of borrowing to households and businesses occasioned by the credit crunch, leaving the substantial fall in the exchange rate to act as the main offsetting influence on demand.''

The pound has dropped 13 percent since July against a basket of the U.K.'s major trading partners and reached a record low of 80.99 pence per euro on April 16. The declines may be ``roughly'' equivalent to the effect of the pound's exit from the European Exchange-Rate Mechanism in 1992, he said. The currency traded at 79.88 pence today in London.

Market `Dislocation'

``That should go some way to offsetting the contractionary impact of the dislocation in credit markets,'' he said.

Bean predicted that bank losses from the U.S. subprime mortgage market slump may be ``considerably smaller'' than the International Monetary Fund's forecast of $450 billion, if assets are held to maturity.

``We are well down the revelation path, at least in regard to losses associated with the U.S. subprime mortgage securities market,'' Bean said.

Credit costs have surged in Britain since the seizure of money markets last year, and Bean said that this has ``impaired'' the transmission of monetary policy. Lenders including HBOS Plc, Barclays Plc and Lloyds TSB Group Plc have raised the cost of mortgages even after the bank's rate cuts.

``The bank is continuing to work with the relevant parties to develop approaches that will help to ease the strains,'' Bean said yesterday. Still, ``growth is likely to continue to weaken this year. That in turn will open a margin of spare capacity which will help to bear down on inflation, bringing it back to the 2 percent target over the medium term.''

Inflation Risk

Record costs for oil and other commodities threaten to raise consumers' price expectations, requiring the economy to slow more than otherwise to bring inflation under control, Bean said. Inflation was 2.5 percent in February, matching a nine- month high, after gas and electricity prices rose. Oil prices climbed to a record $115.54 a barrel in New York yesterday.

Bean's forecast of a ``likely'' overshoot of the government's 3 percent limit would require Bank of England Governor Mervyn King to write to the government with an explanation for only the second time since the bank's decade- long history of setting interest rates.

At the same time, slower economic expansion is likely to ease inflation, Bean said. The IMF says U.K. growth will cool to 1.6 percent this year from 3 percent in 2007, the worst performance since the end of the last recession in 1992.

`Green Light'

``They're giving the green light for further cautious easing,'' said James Shugg, an economist at Westpac Banking Corp. ``Bean is saying that the slowing economy will sort out inflation. While they're worried about 3 percent, the bank sees underlying inflation slowing further.''

House prices fell the most since 1992 in March, according to HBOS. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors says the number of real-estate professionals saying prices declined exceeded those reporting gains by 78.5 percentage points last month, the worst since records began in 1978.

``I am reasonably sanguine about the implications of any fall in house prices for consumer spending'' because they are both driven mainly by income expectations, Bean said.

``However, household spending growth is likely to be subdued for other reasons,'' namely slower employment growth and the limited availability of credit, Bean said. He predicted ``pretty chilly'' conditions for retailers.

``The Monetary Policy Committee has to balance off the consequence of these two shocks for inflation against each other,'' Bean said. ``In doing so, we are walking a tightrope.''

I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the UK and Australia.
Looks like both are fighting some sort of inflationary pressures, but Australia hikes rates up and the UK are lowering them.

Is this where Australia will be in a year or so?

Also is it a good time to buy property in the UK?

Cheers

Cheers

One difference I can think of is that financial services and related financial industries are even bigger in the UK than Australia. 80.4% of the UK workforce is employed in services. The place is only growing 60% of it's own food for goodness sake. Too many money/paper shufflers, and not enough people actually producing a real commodity. I reckon the UK was always going to get hammered more than most in a financial crisis.

Compare that to Australia. We are enjoying a resource boom with never before seen terms of trade. We export two thirds of our food in a non drought time. Financials, while important, are not as much as the UK. Only 70% employed in services. More people employed in industry and actually producing stuff.

Basically, Australia's economy will benefit from inflation caused by commodities, the UK's wont.

[info from the world fact book]

See ya's.

Last edited:
Looks like both are fighting some sort of inflationary pressures, but Australia hikes rates up and the UK are lowering them.

Is this where Australia will be in a year or so?

Also is it a good time to buy property in the UK?

Cheers

Australia has more of a buffer due to its strong commodity position. UK relies more heavily on international finance, which is getting hit at the moment, but I guess Sydney does too to some degree.

The other interesting part of this is that while the BoE lowers the cash rate, lenders costs are still rising, this doesn't guarantee cheaper credit to home buyers or other borrowers and doesn't necessarily provide stimulation for the economy.

Edit: and what topcropper said....

What I am interested in Redwing, is how the moderators have allowed you to post the full contents of this article (along with link), but when I have done the same, have the text pulled and told it is against forum policy to do so without the author's consent. Then even when I do get the author's consent (in the latest case, Janet Albrechtsen, and personally PM the moderator (Sim)), the text is not reinstated.

The fact that the subject matter of my last audited thread in this respect was on the right side of politics shows there continues to be selective censoring on Somersoft by moderators presumably with a leftist PC bias.

The other interesting part of this is that while the BoE lowers the cash rate, lenders costs are still rising, this doesn't guarantee cheaper credit to home buyers or other borrowers and doesn't necessarily provide stimulation for the economy.

That's the same with Australia, though. The banks are increasing rates above what the RBA is doing. So even if the RBA cuts rates, for example, it doesn't mean the banks will automatically drop lending rates. In the US, the Fed cutting rates hasn't helped people on ARMs as much as people think because a lot of those ARMs are priced off LIBOR, not the Fed rate, and LIBOR is staying high because of lack of confidence amongst banks.
Alex

That's the same with Australia, though. The banks are increasing rates above what the RBA is doing. So even if the RBA cuts rates, for example, it doesn't mean the banks will automatically drop lending rates. In the US, the Fed cutting rates hasn't helped people on ARMs as much as people think because a lot of those ARMs are priced off LIBOR, not the Fed rate, and LIBOR is staying high because of lack of confidence amongst banks.
Alex

Yep, agree. So the RBA may drop rates in the expectation that retail lending will remain steady or even continue to increase in price. Not a stimulatory move, necessarily.

Came across this as well which shows current rates in other countries; No mention of the Inflation in the UK though?

The Australian

Double Whammy for Australian borrowers

Lisa Macnamara | April 26, 2008

AUSTRALIAN home borrowers are doing it tougher than their British and US counterparts as the global credit crunch and surging domestic inflation push rates even higher.

National Australia Bank and ANZ are the latest of the major lenders to lift their standard variable rates by 10 basis points each, with NAB choosing yesterday to do it.

ANZ has the highest of the variable rates, along with St George Bank, at 9.47 per cent.

NAB is at 9.46 per cent while Westpac is at the bottom of the ladder at 9.37 per cent. It comes as this week's high inflation numbers in Australia dampened hopes for an official rate cut, while the banks continued to lift rates, irrespective of the Reserve Bank leaving the cash rate unchanged at 7.25 per cent.

"Two things are working against Australian borrowers: the fact that the Reserve Bank has been raising rates because of inflation, and the credit crunch," AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver said yesterday. "In the UK, which is the most comparable to Australia, borrowers there have only had to contend with the credit crunch. In the US, existing borrowers who are on fixed rates haven't been affected."

Australia's average standard variable home loan is now above 9.4 per cent, according to Cannex. The UK average is 7.11 per cent, with many of the high street banks having ignored the Bank of England's last rate cut to 5 per cent. In the US, most borrowers are on long-term fixed rates, with the popular 15-year fixed rate now at 5.62 per cent, and shorter terms slightly cheaper. New entrants face rates just above 6 per cent for 30-year money.

JPMorgan chief economist Stephen Walters says the global liquidity squeeze has created a new paradigm in Australian banking behaviour, adding to the burden on mortgages.

"Until the last three or four months, whenever the RBA moved rates the banks moved in lock step with that," Mr Walters said. "But this is a new paradigm in that banks are moving rates independent of the Reserve Bank, and we saw that in January when the RBA didn't even have a board meeting, let alone put up rates, and the banks put up rates by 20 to 25 basis points."

Mr Walters said local interest rates were close to peaking but banks could continue to drive them higher to combat escalating funding costs. "We can't put a time frame on it but within some reasonable period of time markets will go back to closer to normal, at which time the banks will start moving their rates more in line with the Reserve Bank."

But Dr Oliver said the banks' pricing power might increase as the credit turmoil claimed a number of non-bank lenders and lower competition in the market.

"The pricing power of the banks has arguably gone up and this may have longer-term implications," Dr Oliver said.

A blowout in Australia's inflation, driven by a strong economy, has delivered a local 90-day bill (cash) rate of 7.845 per cent, higher than the official rate of 7.25 per cent, against the Bank of England equivalent at 5 per cent and the US Fed funds rate of 2.25 per cent. "Mortgage rates went up and that's because their funding costs are going up and banks are trying to compensate for that," Mr Walters said. "The Bank of England governor was asked last week if he had lost control of monetary policy and his answer was no, because interest rates would have been a lot higher had they not cut rates."

Dr Oliver said that in Australia there was also the view that rates might have been higher without the credit crunch.

"If the credit crunch hadn't come along, the Reserve Bank would have jacked up rates by more, so Australians could have been paying the same mortgage rates that they are now," he said.

In the US, about 80 per cent of borrowers are on fixed-rate mortgages.

And while tighter lending standards have caused loan applications to plummet, 30-year mortgages this week climbed up to more than 6 per cent for the first time in six weeks.

The rates are tied to fluctuations in the debt market, which has been pushed up on the back of the credit tightening.

"Finance is a lot cheaper in the US and UK so to say our rates are higher is true, but they should be, because we do have an economy that is growing more quickly and we also have inflation that is much higher," Mr Walters said.

PAIN GAUGE

Official interest rates

Australia 7.25pc

UK 5.0pc

US 2.25pc

Average mortgage rates

Australia (variable) 9.41pc

UK (variable) 7.11pc

US (fixed) 5.62pc

In THIS particular phase of the cycle, though, I would prefer that we had higher rates. Because it implies we have a stronger economy than the US or the UK, and it gives the RBA more scope to cut rates in the future.
Alex

i wish i'd never read 1984. everywhere i look i see "oceania" - coalition of the willing, free trade agreements, and now both the US and UK are LOWERING rates while our country is RAISING rates.

when i said the RBA and their "central" interest rate system is wealth confiscation - i wasn't making it up. although it is absolutley impossible to prove, i see Australian's money being funnelled into the US and UK economies to keep them afloat.

call me a conspiratorialist, call me a crackpot or whatever, but if anyone can provide a solid and simplified explanation as to why the UK and US are lowering rates and AUS are raising them then i will be happy to re-think my position.

The US and UK don't need our money: they can print their own. In any case, we don't have enough money in Oz to support the US and the UK. Rising interest rates (as seen in the high AUD) draws money INTO oz. Why are we raising rates and the US and UK lowering theirs? At this point, a combination of differing opinions amongst the central banks, and the US and UK being 6-12 months later than us in the unfolding recession because our consumer confidence is still being propped up by the commodities boom.
Alex

call me a conspiratorialist, call me a crackpot or whatever, but if anyone can provide a solid and simplified explanation as to why the UK and US are lowering rates and AUS are raising them then i will be happy to re-think my position.

I thought I did above?

Australia's economy is benefiting from rising commodities, and the US and UK aren't.

See ya's.

"JPMorgan chief economist Stephen Walters says the global liquidity squeeze has created a new paradigm in Australian banking behaviour, adding to the burden on mortgages.

"Until the last three or four months, whenever the RBA moved rates the banks moved in lock step with that," Mr Walters said. "But this is a new paradigm in that banks are moving rates independent of the Reserve Bank, and we saw that in January when the RBA didn't even have a board meeting, let alone put up rates, and the banks put up rates by 20 to 25 basis points."

Mr Walters said local interest rates were close to peaking but banks could continue to drive them higher to combat escalating funding costs. "We can't put a time frame on it but within some reasonable period of time markets will go back to closer to normal, at which time the banks will start moving their rates more in line with the Reserve Bank."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23599519-643,00.html
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Redwing,

1. I fully agree with Walter's observations.

2. Both ANZ and NAB have already started to increase their housing loan interesy rate again, ahead of the RBA's Board interest rate decision outcome in May 2008, after the recent release of the 4.2 high inflation figures by ABS.

3. I also agree with Walter's assessment that the local interest rate and cash rate as set by the RBA, is peaking or/and have almost peaked, to date.

4. Hopefully, there would not be a further need for a interest rate rise by the RBA in its May 2008 Board's Meeting. This is despite the recent high inflation rate figures released by RBA.

5. Consequently, when once, the commercial banks start to move in tandem with the official interest rate set by the RBA subsequently as antiicpated by Walters, I would expect the commercial banks' additional borrowing costs from the overseas wholesale credit markets would have fallen back to their normal long term trend.

6. Accordingly, I would then expect the RBA's official interest rate to have "peaked" probably well before the end of 2008, following the expected continued slowing down of the various housing markets Australia-wide, as well as the continued slowing down in the domestic aggregate demand and local consumers' spending levels, where initial noticeable slow-down effects are increasingly being observed on the ground by RBA since April 2008.

7. Thus, I am still expecting the RBA to start cutting down on its official interest rate and cash rate some-time in 2009, at this point in time, in order to avert a possible recession in Australia in the near future, similar to what both the USA and UK are presently doing now.

8. For your further comments and discussion, please.

9. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

7. Thus, I am still expecting the RBA to start cutting down on its official interest rate and cash rate some-time in 2009, at this point in time, in order to avert a possible recession in Australia in the near future, similar to what both the USA and UK are presently doing now.

Kenneth, what makes you think the US and and UK have avoided / can avoid recession?
Alex

Kenneth, what makes you think the US and and UK have avoided / can avoid recession?
Alex
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Alex,

1. As far as I am personally concerned, I read that the USA Economy is presently in a Recession while the UK is still bordering one at this point in time;- whereas in Germany, while still in a recession, its um-employment rate seems to have "peaked" recently in 2008.

2. One of the main key reasons why the Bank of England is presently "pro-actively" cutting down on its interest rate, is to avert the UK Economy from falling into a Recession, following the recent continued unfolding of the Credit Crunch Crises and the recent slowing down of its Economy and its various housing markets in UK

3. Whether the Bank of England is able to effectively avert a Recession for its present slowing down UK Economy, I do not know for sure at this point in time.;- though I would think that it is better for the UK Treasury to start considering using other supportive monetary and fiscal policies to "jump-start" its slowing down UK Economy, instead of soley relying on its interest rate cuts by the Bank of England, to do the job, as required.

4. For your further comments and discussion, please.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Back