Booking hotel rooms

Hi guys, does anyone have a recommendation for booking hotel rooms online? I'm going o/s in December and need to book accommodation.

Thanks!

I use tripadvisor for sussing out where to stay and I always use wotif or bookings.com to book the room.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi OP,

Agoda is an option. If you do plan to do a bit of travelling and will be "booking accommodation" frequently, you might want to:

1. go to www.topcashback.com (the USA site not UK site) and register
2. search agoda, click through the link, proceed to booking accommodation as you would
3. once the stay is finished, you'll get a portion (for agoda it's ~6% I think) of the commission retailer pays topcashback (NOT the full amt you paid for your hotel)

hope it helps. cheers!

I use tripadvisor to get prices and find out what the place is really like, then try the hotel website directly and have often found a better deal.

I've booked a whole series of places through airbnb. Often, but not always, you're staying with people at their homes, which has its positives and negatives.

I haven't stayed in any of those places yet- fist one overseas starts tomorrow in Guatemala.

We stayed last weekend in Sydney at an airbnb place in Maroubra in Sydney- that was excellent. I liked the whole feel of staying in a home rather than a hotel. The owner had three lockable bedrooms which she let out. I had previously thought that airbnb was only for long term, but I was wrong.

I used TripAdvisor too for London and through Italy, but for Paris I booked an old shop converted to a little flat. It had a small bathroom, washing machine and I loved it much better than any of the hotels we stayed in. It was very charming. The owner met us, showed us how to use the room, wind close the old window, took us on a quick reconnoitre of the local streets, where to shop, where not to shop. It was not in a tourist area, but walkable to all the sites, if you didn't mind walking (we loved the walking).

https://www.flipkey.com/th-arrondissement-palaisbourbon-condo-rentals/p179651/

When our son went the following year he stayed at another little apartment owned by the same family with an upstairs loft bedroom. It was bigger but they stayed longer than we did, so needed extra space, and a couch (that we didn't have).

Next time we travel I'll be searching for something on Flipkey.

When our son went to New York he could have booked a loft apartment near Central Park on Flipkey which was only a couple of hundred more than a very basic room at the YMCA.

I used vrbo / airbnb for my recent trip overseas to Hawaii.

I guess it depends on what country you are going to though.
I was skeptical, but i did the usual google image search, text search and called up the rental office who was offering the place to make sure it wasnt a scam .

I'm now at my first overseas Airbnb. So far, great. It's a room in a house, lockable. The hosts are great. They're really helpful- it gives a great kick start to visiting a place when you can get the local lowdown. On Saturday they are taking myself and another guest to a local festival- this would have otherwise been difficult or expensive.

I like being able to spend money in poorer countries where the money goes directly to people in that country, and not to an international chain.

I'm now at my first overseas Airbnb. So far, great. It's a room in a house, lockable. The hosts are great. They're really helpful- it gives a great kick start to visiting a place when you can get the local lowdown. On Saturday they are taking myself and another guest to a local festival- this would have otherwise been difficult or expensive.

I like being able to spend money in poorer countries where the money goes directly to people in that country, and not to an international chain.

Have a great time!

I need to ask you a question which may seem strange.

Do you and other guest share bathroom / shower / kitchen facilities? I get a sense of awkwardness when I have to do number twos in a private residence. The aroma in the air which can last for 30 mins is not something I want to subject the host to.In public toilets, I tend to do a squat on the toilet seat to avoid sitting but wonder what the protocol would be in a private toilet setting.

It depends. I have the use of my own bathroom where I am now, but I don't know about other places.

I think some listings will say what the facilities are like.

Personally I don't feel it's a problem. After all, the hosts, surprisingly, are also human.

If you have the time try Priceline NYOP (Name Your Own Price)

We got a 5 star hotel in Amsterdam for $130 a night. Hubby didn't want to go out as it had a FREE minibar, complete with spirits, small bottles of wine, beer, juice etc. It had it's own pod coffee machine.

Amazing. You have to do your research though and know the tricks to let you bid more than once a day.

We've had a few bargains with it but that was the best.

Back