Books

As a result of new flooring I've had to move all my books out of the study and back in again. I've taken the opportunity to throw out hundreds of books. Lifeline will get far more use from them.

Which led me to reflect on the amount I money I wasted on books in my younger days. Instead of all that money on books, I could have invested, and would have been in a far better position than I am now. I could have been very comfortably off.

With enough money to buy more books.

But think of all the entertainment, education and enlightenment you received from reading and enjoying those books, Geoff.

Books are wonderful.

:)
Caroline
(disclosure - I'm an author. Without people buying books, I wouldn't be)

I have plenty of books too and still buy a couple of year.

However, I have come to realise that you learn more by doing rather than reading. So now I definitely do and act more. I spend less time reading now and mostly read to maintain a continuation of mindset.

I have also spent alot of money on books... but I really only read novels, and primarily for when I'm going on business trips. So, most books I've read I either give away to business colleagues who want to read english books, or leave in airport lounges for someone else to enjoy.
But I do have some special older books. When my mum died earlier this year, my "priority" from her estate was her collection of Anne of Green Gables books. As we were going through the house, and her many, many possessions, there were no sign of them and I was so worried that they'd been thrown out. But I think they were literally the last thing we found. They are a treasure to me. (I'm lucky, there was no competition for the books, because I only have brothers!! ;) )

I'm loving our Kindle. My daughter reads a huge amount, and I would if I had time... and not only is the cost much lower per book, it obviously doesnt take up any space.

But I'm with Lily House, money on books is well spent.. if you read them!

How is a small purchase that is enjoyable, educates, entertains and informs a waste of money?

I really dislike that attitude. Life is for living, enjoying, as well as for making money.

I have plenty of books too and still buy a couple of year.

However, I have come to realise that you learn more by doing rather than reading. So now I definitely do and act more. I spend less time reading now and mostly read to maintain a continuation of mindset.

I have several hundred books, and I think 3 of them relate to investing!

I love books ... I either buy my books second hand, or when there are massive discounts - occasionally on fishpond if there is something particular. And because I buy them cheapish - less than the price of a coffee - I try authors I would never have otherwise read (and find I love them) or if they are rubbish then I don't feel ripped off.

There is something about reading a book that a kindle just can't replace, IMO.

There are some books I haven't read for years, but are classics I really enjoyed so will never throw away (ie, Alister McLean and Jack Higgins) - and others that get pulled out at least once a year.

My bookshelf is stacked 2 deep, with books on top of books. I need a bigger bookshelf.

My bookshelf is stacked 2 deep, with books on top of books. I need a bigger bookshelf.

You only have ONE bookshelf :eek:

My wife wants a bigger house to fit all of hers in, she only has 4 bookshelves, all author aligned, 2 deep, with the ones for the op shop in a bag (which she refuses to take to the op shop) :)

You only have ONE bookshelf :eek:

My wife wants a bigger house to fit all of hers in, she only has 4 bookshelves, all author aligned, 2 deep, with the ones for the op shop in a bag (which she refuses to take to the op shop) :)

I need a second room for books :eek:

I have a confession: I'm a book hoarder also. I just love them, and struggle to give any away.

i love giving them away. it's such a good present - i'm giving this because i enjoyed and i think you will. rather than going out and buying crap for people because you feel obliged to because they managed to live another year or apparently god was born.

i love receiving a book as well.

i do like it when they go full circle. i've given away my virginity and received it back a few times. R Branson - losing my virginity.

I love books ... I either buy my books second hand, or when there are massive discounts - occasionally on fishpond if there is something particular. And because I buy them cheapish - less than the price of a coffee - I try authors I would never have otherwise read (and find I love them) or if they are rubbish then I don't feel ripped off.

Yeah, I buy my books cheap as well.... how? I don't buy them in Australia.

Books in Australia are roughly double the price compared to Europe or North America.... thankfully we are the lucky country :p

Yeah, I buy my books cheap as well.... how? I don't buy them in Australia.

Books in Australia are roughly double the price compared to Europe or North America.... thankfully we are the lucky country :p

We've been buying from everywhere else but here for a long time (except where the author is Australian - found they're mostly cheaper here).

You've got to love the ease in searching, selecting (reading the reviews) and purchasing books online as well.

Both my husband and I continue to prefer the feel and 'comfort' of hardcopy books.

I have a lot of very good friends in my books, and many I like to visit again from time to time.

But it's sort of like Facebook. Every now and then you've got to unfriend a few of them just to keep your friendships at a good working level.

What will most of you guys do with your books now that kindles are becoming more popular.

We built our new house and part of it was a library where the whole wall is a bookshelf for mostly my wifes books. I have a few rows for me too. Now I bought her a kindle and she bought me one and we both love it.

The other day a friend gave me about 10 gig of ebooks which is about 20,000 books. I am wondering how far into the future until books are a thing of the past.

Not all books can be replaced by Kindles.

Like the one that a red headed ex pollie got for Christmas. Let me please explain.

Three weeks later it got all coloured in and she had to buy another.

What will most of you guys do with your books now that kindles are becoming more popular.

We built our new house and part of it was a library where the whole wall is a bookshelf for mostly my wifes books. I have a few rows for me too. Now I bought her a kindle and she bought me one and we both love it.

The other day a friend gave me about 10 gig of ebooks which is about 20,000 books. I am wondering how far into the future until books are a thing of the past.

There are still a lot, (a LOT!) of books I am unable to access/buy via my (Australian) kindle yet, disappointing in some respects.

Bookshelves in my office, it's a reasonably big old room, plus I share books with people. A friend might give me a 'real' book to read, and they might like to take one of mine. I will only be adding to my library, (electronically and 'real' book wise).

I think people will buy less "real" books, but that they will be more expensive ones. So, instead of being filled with trashy novels, our bookshelves will have lovely hardcover books and "display" books.

and of course, there will be people who never move across to e-books....

Back