Boom times return?

The EDO are supporting the traditional "owner" of the land the gas hub is on. Don't know how that differs from the traditional "owners" that agreed to it.

Oral History is hard to contest

Get any family group together no matter the race and there'll be squabbles of one type or another

Interestingly Broome's electricity is produced by a Gas Power Station

Certainly Sydney and Melbourne are really booming:

Sydney Saturday 9 june clearance rate: 50%

Melbourne Saturday 9 june clearance rate: 40%

According to this, the boom never left us:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3726692.html

Apparently we're amongst the fairest, weathiest, lowest taxed and fastest growing in the western world (though some comparative stats with more Asian countries would have been nice).

The number that sticks out most is the median Aussie is over 4 times wealthier than the median American, and double the Japanese, British and Canadian.

Clearance rates are nonsense ways of determining strength of a market. All a clearance rate shows is what proportion of properties sold on the day. A low rate could mean vendors are unrealistic, and conversely for a high rate.

Auction results are always bogus because it depends on voluntary reporting by agents. The ones that don't sell don't get reported. I'm surprised its not 100 percent clearance every weekend.

And that's the reported ones...

I wonder how many actually sold on the day of the auction, and how many were passed in with nothing but a Vendor's bid?

And just as significant; what was the volume of total auctions compared to last year, and total properties for sale compared to last year?

I trade the baltic dry index (its routes) and I have sat in boardrooms in china (sinosteel, wuhan iron and steel) broking iron ore deals.

China is sitting on massive stockpiles of iron ore that aint going nowhere presently. Lat time this scale of stockpiling happened was in the leadup to the Beijing Olympics and just prior gfc 1.

Chinas demand is sluggish thats for sure.

And youyr Bhp's, rios's fmg's and vales of the world like most companies cannot see past 6 months. Investment time frames are 3-5 years. So yes these bug guys have to make huge risky invesment decisisons with little or no idea what the market will be like in 1 years time.
Thats the giant ponzi scheme we are sitting on. The good news for these guys (except fmg)is that they are diversified and so large that they just go with the flow.

and btw im dam good at karoake but dont tell my wife

Agreed. In fact one of the companies aussierogue just mentioned (think CITIC, Sinosteel, Wuhan Iron etc), their head honchos are around and will be meeting them in these few days. In the mean time, here's some food for thought on where China's real estate market is heading.

At $7000/sqm per floor space, that makes China's top economic centers (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen) far more expensive than Sydney and Melbourne. How much are Paramatta and Springvale land going for these days? A$3000/sqm? And we're crying affordability here. How do you expect 98% of the average 22 million Shanghainese population earning $RMB4000/month (A$600/month) to afford A$7000/sqm?

So if you're now a little bleak about China's real estate, check out what they mostly use their steel for in my second graph.

Ah now time to prepare for the meeting with the head honchos from China in a few days. Better brush up on my KTV skills in case their juniors drag me out. Looking forward to singing some new Fish Leong and JJ Lin songs.

PS: not sure how the Indians who earn 50% of what Chinese earn and therefore earn 2% of what Japanese earn are paying the same US$/sqm price as Japan. Property is either held by an elite 0.01% of population, or the population lives in 2sqm houses. Disclaimer: I know nothing about India.

Attachments

• China Property Prices.JPG
    China Property Prices.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 872
  • China Steel Usage.JPG
    China Steel Usage.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 147
Oh and just in case you didn't quite understand the significance of a SEVERELY overpriced Chinese property market and what a subsequent steel consumption slowdown means for Australia, hopefully this graph brings it home.

PS: met coal is also used to make steel

Hahaha... :D

Attachments

• Australian Exports.JPG
    Australian Exports.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 132
And youyr Bhp's, rios's fmg's and vales of the world like most companies cannot see past 6 months.

Don't worry these companies aren't silly. I don't know about FMG, but I can tell you the other 2 are looking past 6 months and share a view similar to ours.

They just don't tell the guys on this forum in case they dump their stock.

Agreed. In fact one of the companies aussierogue just mentioned (think CITIC, Sinosteel, Wuhan Iron etc), their head honchos are around and will be meeting them in these few days. In the mean time, here's some food for thought on where China's real estate market is heading.

At $7000/sqm per floor space, that makes China's top economic centers (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen) far more expensive than Sydney and Melbourne. How much are Paramatta and Springvale land going for these days? A$3000/sqm? And we're crying affordability here. How do you expect 98% of the average 22 million Shanghainese population earning $RMB4000/month (A$600/month) to afford A$7000/sqm?

So if you're now a little bleak about China's real estate, check out what they mostly use their steel for in my second graph.

Ah now time to prepare for the meeting with the head honchos from China in a few days. Better brush up on my KTV skills in case their juniors drag me out. Looking forward to singing some new Fish Leong and JJ Lin songs.
PS: not sure how the Indians who earn 50% of what Chinese earn and therefore earn 2% of what Japanese earn are paying the same US$/sqm price as Japan. Property is either held by an elite 0.01% of population, or the population lives in 2sqm houses. Disclaimer: I know nothing about India.

You know karoake doesnt mean karaoke?

You know karoake doesnt mean karaoke?

I enjoy the former.

But am occassionally dragged to the latter unfortunately.

Friends on the floor with Xstrata, Noble, Glencore etc doing physical trading in Shanghai tell me they do the latter every night. One of my mates at Noble in Shanghai is the most straight and honest guy... feel sorry for him.

Got made to drink nearly a bottle of mao tai the other day because steel buyer said if you don't drink I don't sign. He didn't sign in the end any way.

Oh no it's lunch time for the corporate mouse.

Come back after lunch with some more feedback and tyre kicking on LNG thoughts.

Hot Rod are you asking about iron ore? After China other big importers I think are Japan and Korea. But can do some digging after lunch (or I mean get someone to do some digging).

Interestingly it's a question not often asked. Most questions are about who is China importing from (of which Australia is the top choice), and cost curves (that is who's cheaper, again Australia), and who's grades are better (again Australia but also Brazil).

Signing off for now
Tyre kicker running on mouse wheel (wheeeeeee), wanna be land owner

Oh and just in case you didn't quite understand the significance of a SEVERELY overpriced Chinese property market and what a subsequent steel consumption slowdown means for Australia, hopefully this graph brings it home.

PS: met coal is also used to make steel

Hahaha... :D

HAHAHA indeed :rolleyes:

i like how commodities are only based on stuff dug out of the ground.

you missed wheat, cattle, sheep, fruit, vegetables.....

Back