Boomer bust

I think Australia will continue to do its own thing with little regard for what happens in USA. I do know people who have downsized but we won't be for some time.

When we do, it will be to a smaller block not a smaller house, our current hectare will get too much for my wife to look after and then we will move :)

I believe there will still be a demand for the older houses and blocks left by the BB's, they will be bought by developers and by people who currently build big houses on small blocks in new areas.

In Sydney there are rows and rows of large houses (much bigger then the older 50-60's houses) occupied by a family of 4. By the time they have a room each for the kids, a lounge, a family room, a games room, a rumpus room and a home theatre, small is not a word often mentioned unless referring to the land size.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the future in regards to pensions/part pensions. If there's any changes to the thresholds or including the family home.
This was recommend in the commission of audit.

They weren't adopted due to the fact that promises were made before the election to make no changes to pensions in this term of government.

The government would also have to way up if it's 'politically' viable also.

We've decided not to downsize when we get older. Some of the boomers I know have regretted moving away from their family, friends and neighbors. They also miss being close to services they have used for many years eg doctor. Some, in fact, have returned close to the area they left.

My parents did that as well and regretted it . Sold in sydney and mover to central coast . Ended up coming back .

That's part of the reason we're staying in the same area as we down size . We're in a position to buy a weekender , which we've done . It's just under 2 hours from sydney . Currently it's a good time to buy in that sort of area as the property wave out there is increasing volume of sales l but not prices as of yet .

Cliff

In Sydney there are rows and rows of large houses (much bigger then the older 50-60's houses) occupied by a family of 4. By the time they have a room each for the kids, a lounge, a family room, a games room, a rumpus room and a home theatre, small is not a word often mentioned unless referring to the land size.

You forget to mention the seperate his and her's studies , or in my case recording studio .....:cool:

Cliff

Our friends are everywhere in the city, I have no attachment to my dentist or doctor. We will purchase at the same price for what we sell or a bit more if our investing plans allow.

We are not see changing or tree changing, we will be staying in the big smoke thanks.

My parents stayed in their house until they died. They preferred to be close to their families and did have an attachment to their doctor. Even when they were in their 80s they still remained physically active around the house. That may have been one of the reasons for them staying healthy until they died. As they became less mobile, they were able to access government help. My siblings enjoyed helping out with any odd jobs around the house.

Back to the subject. I'm not convinced that the boomers are going to have a big impact on the future housing market as they get older.

Back