Booming property market

I am Interested to hear peoples opinions and views on what they believe caused the Property boom this time around.

1/ Low Interest rates

2/ Growing population

3/ High availability of Cash i.e. easier to get a loan

4/ Baby Boomers

5/ Share market crash

6/ Media hype

7/ High employment

Any others?

Do you agree with these? and if so what do you think was the most important factors. If not do you have your own views. Secondly what do you think will cause the slowing or crash in the market.

I Think it started
with the Low interest rates
BUT
Lately it is the Media Hype
and estate agents & property developers talking up the market

1/ Low Interest rates
and
3/ High availability of Cash i.e. easier to get a loan

followed up with the media renovators programs etc

everyone with a bit of equity is able to get into the market, and has done.

My personal opinion is that
1. Low interest rates
3. Avaliability of credit
5. Share Market Crash
and
6. Media hype are factors in this boom

Maybe its just me, but it seems that 'investing' has become very fashionable in the last 10 years, first driving the share boom and now property.

How are things different from the last property boom? Was there the same hype? Were there the same dire warnings near the end of it that we are getting now (eg from RBA, IMF)?

My financial eduation continues...

TheBacon

Originally posted by TheBacon

Maybe its just me, but it seems that 'investing' has become very fashionable in the last 10 years, first driving the share boom and now property.

I think this also and I believe it has a lot to do the the availability of information i.e. the Internet. Education on investing is much easier to get, forums, property portals such as real estate.com and Domain. This let's people purchase properties and see prospective properties for sale interstate without actually being there.

If you look at the stock market boom late 90s you could purchase stocks through the web stock broking firms, check your stocks whenever you want to, invest overseas with ease and it generally made investing in retail shares open to a lot more of the public in a simpler way.

I think more people are waking up to investing because the information is everywhere. All you need is a computer and an internet connection.

Originally posted by TheBacon

Originally posted by PEI
I think this also and I believe it has a lot to do the the availability of information i.e. the Internet. Education on investing is much easier to get, forums, property portals such as real estate.com and Domain. This let's people purchase properties and see prospective properties for sale interstate without actually being there.

There are two other (major) factors that I would throw into the melting pot.

1. The Superannuation Guarantee

Over the past decade compulsory contributions to super have increased. Millions of Australians get their annual statements saying "this is how much we put in on your behalf, and this is how much we made (lost) and this is what we charged you to manage it".

Naturally this makes people more interested in the performance of investments.

2. The privatisation / demutualisation of several major companies

Qantas, the CBA, AMP, NRMA, GIO and Telstra have all had their ownership structures converted. Millions of Australians hold shares now and this has also helped foster an interest in the markets and in investing.

MB

That's a good list mark & I also agree with PEI's point about availability.

My belief is that the main reasons behind this super-boom are three-fold.

A loss of faith in our Government system to provide for people in sickness and their old age.

Dissatisfaction with current living standards - including the standard of services provided by the state.

and

A lack of trust in the financial system to manage peoples' money effectively.

This has come about due to the greater transparency in financial institutions & greater market orientated capitalism in Australia.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

All of the above.

Plus there was the the 1st Home Owners Grant which pushed house prices up $14k in a short space of time.

Another thing that most people ignore is that in many areas the market didn't move for around tenyears, and what we are seeing is a catch up with the long term trend.

Is this boom really anydifferent from others??

I remember toying with the idea of getting an IP in 88 , and going into the bank to see the loans officer. They had a seperate queue at the counter for people inquiring about loans that had ten people ahead of me.....

Prices doubled in sydney in a fairly short time in sydney at that stage

see change

Lack of confidence in Australian Buiness and thier management
payouts..
lack of any confidence in todays financial advisers.
investors diversification backgrounds..
good luck
willair

I agree with most of the above, but also feel that people are better educated about their finances now. A greater proportion of people (especially young people) understand that being financially secure is no accident and that you need to plan long-term for your future.

Investing is no-longer for the wealthy end of town. It's important for people on all income levels.

Hi All
I reckon that there is only so much dirt out there and if you own or control a nice piece of it there will always be someone ready to buy it off you hence making it more valuable"bottom line".
I also reckon that if you have to share that piece of dirt with others(High Rise) you also have to share the value.
I also reckon because there are at least two real estate markets(investor 30% and home buyer70%) it is wiser to invest in the latter.
It is my experience that if an investor keeps to these principals it will not matter much whether it is boom or bust.(time will take the pain away if one can just stay in the game.)
Kind regards
Simon

To the question I'd answer 'all the above' plus our consumerist society and thus reduced propensity to save.

Though mass consumerism started when real wages grew to allow more than just the basic necessities, it received a boost when hire-purchase started (1950s?) and (especially) when the banks got together and posted everyone their own Bankcard circa 1974.

By this time the baby boomers were becoming dominant. Unlike their parents, they were raised in an environment of full employment and relative national security (Vietnam war and the risk of being conscripted being the main exception). Though houses were smaller than they are today, living standards improved, with most homes having a car and a TV by the 1960s.

Mass unemployment only came after 1975 with subsequent peaks in the early 1980s and again the early 1990s. However unemployment and other benefits, though low compared with some Eurpean countries, protected the jobless from US-style poverty.

There was thus less necessity to save for unforeseen events as people could get help from the government. Also we were a nation of employees in full-time jobs. You started work in your late teens or early 20s and retired around 65. This was the socially-accepted norm. If you were a public servant on their generous super, you might be able to retire a bit earlier. But the rest of us stayed as workers, and if we were lucky owned our home outright and had a few thousand in the bank. The idea of people retiring earlier due to their own investing had not yet captured the public mind, though there were no doubt a few entrepeneurs and investers who'd done so.

With lower infant mortality, women's education, careers, feminism, etc resulting in smaller families our population is now aging. Governments in the 1980s started worrying about how to pay all the pensions needed in the future, so introduced the assets test in 1984 and compulsory super in about 1990. But we still spent heavily on consumer goods and didn't save much.

It's paradoxical that despite all the talk about superannuation and investment, our level of household saving is at a record low and our credit card debt is at a record high.

What do we have now? We have baby boomers, less than 15 years from retirement, who have become accustomed to their living standard. An $18000 age pension might be fine for their parents, but not for them!

So how to get a few hundred thousand more quick smart? Yes you could save 10% of your income and put it into term deposits. But that won't get you much if you want to retire soon.

So it's got to be growth investments for the elusive quick buck. That means shares and property, either directly or through managed funds. And you know what happened with shares! Thus the subsequent interest in investment property, particularly negatively geared.

Then there's a younger group (which includes me!), in their 20s and 30s, who are also getting into investing. None of us can remember full employment. The concept of a 'job for life' is gone, with outsourcing, more casual work and the possibility of several career changes. Increased unpaid overtime is impinging on family life. More of us (thankfully!) are questioning the conventional career paradigm, though our own experiences and reading books like RDPD. And some of us are finding answers though seeking multiple income streams via our own businesses, employment and investing. Also, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne, those of us sidelined by the current property boom are finding that we can afford to buy cashflow properties in country towns while continuing to rent near where we work.

I conclude that demand from both these age groups (baby boomers and their offspring) is what's driving the current property investing market. Time will tell whether this will last or not.

Peter

Usual cycle involving catch up to inflation and over-correction

However each boom has unique drivers and outcomes. Drivers for this one:

- Much lower interest rates

- Lower intertest rates sustained for longer (through other circumstances)

- Demographics - boomers

- Lending institutions bending previous 'rules' and offering new loan structures etc to get market share (ie easy financing)

-public loss of confidence in stock market through rorting, fraud, etc by private entrepreneurs

I think one outcome is that house prices will overshoot more than in previous booms

1) An interesting/funny explanation I heard, from a Marxist point of view: After the prosperity effect of the last decades, especially after transmitting large amounts of money from the rich "elite" to a wider public via the tech boom (eg salaries & the sharemarkets), it is "their" time to take "their" money back from us - via consumerism & inflated RE prices.
PS - I don't believe in this Marxist BS myself.

2) Now seriously - while visiting Australia in 2000, RE prices seemed to me very cheap comparable to any other standard, especially comparing to rent (in Sydney). When moved here permanently, now (2003), they seem very high both rentwise & comparing to other places, that is why? - in 2000 the AUD was about .50USD, that is 500k house was 250k USD. Not expensive. Today 1M house is actually 670k USD - it did not only double but almost tripled in "real terms". And the AUD, in my eyes is getting towards its historic ~.75USD. It is known to me that foreign investments in RE are restricted but still there is no complete isolation of international money moving in and out. Maybe the boom was a correction to the imbalance of rent/purchase price, maybe it was a correction to the temporarily undervalued AUD. Even if these are not the main reasons, they cannot be discounted.

Just my 2cents ;-)

Maybe it might also be fruitful to discuss our experiences as to who is buying and who is selling and why (for each).

Because in a boom there must be many sellers who think they're doing much better than the buyers and vice versa.

The old argument that each side thinks the other side is making a mistake.

My 2c worth
The previous posts have said it well, but for me personally, the 2 main starters are,
1/ better communication these days than ever before re finances, investing, superannuation, etc (whether it be TV hype shows or just good books and seminars) and
2/ The idea of leveraging future potential through equity loans in IP's, with little or no 'cash'. Something I can't do yet, as well in shares.
Jean. Still buying. Why - Still opportunities. - could be a mistake, but hey, I'm adicted :D :eek:

pupeteer, re your post - "I agree with most of the above, but also feel that people are better educated about their finances now. A greater proportion of people (especially young people) understand that being financially secure is no accident and that you need to plan long-term for your future."
Agree - Its interesting reading to get the occasional glimpse of the pollies thoughts on future pension figures, and where its gunna come from.

and spiderman, agree, especially with the idea of $18k retirement not enough for this little baby boomer, (if that even exists further down the track)
jahn

One other reason is
there are not enough properties in the market
at the moment.
I have talked to a friend who is an estate agent and
for Spring there are not enougfh properties to
satisfy demand

IMO its due to a number of factors which emerged to create this boom, much like a hurricane.

The change in the tax system (GST) always will have some impact on the economy, the first home owners grant was around the time things started moving. I remember buying my first home BECAUSE I was given $7,000 to-do so. I remember in 2001 when house prices were around $120-$150K and we just thought renting was dead money, we see offers all over the newspapers/TV stating "You could own your own home for just $200 per week". Fueled with low interest rates, etc also helped due to the low monthly repayments.

Why this boom is continuing can be seen from all my relatives. For no aparrent reasons, a number of my cousins have already paid deposits to buy another house as an IP. They haven't researched much into this area but just 'hear' TV shows, other friends making a lot of captain gain from these IPs. IMO, they represent a number of investors currently on the market. The funny thing with these number of people is that they aren't high wage earners, if they experience a number of vacanties in a year they will definately SELL. I have a feeling something will happen in 24 months time....

From another side

If your happy with the demand potential on the property you own
& you believe it will not be affected by an interest rate hike,

well what's the drama. The demand is the main reason why % growth is achieved.

If your property can be in a better demanding area,, well tidy things uP, sell & get in that area. (that's of course if fees allow this to happen).

Never had a concern in the last 2 booms (14 YEARS) & this time round have not even blinked.

Tidy up ones portfolio bEST DEMANDING property has a better chance to hold it's value or increase.

that's my 2cents

cheers OV

Back