Break-in IP, what sort of security do you install in IP?

Have just been informed by PM that our IP in footscray got broken into, and our tenants are asking to install alarm, window shutters and CCTV. I can understand how upset they are but am not sure about installing all these, not sure how I should reply. Any thoughts or suggestion?

What are you legally obligated to install?

In sa the only legal obligation is that all external doors and windows have locks. Landlords are not required by law to install alarms etc.

If the tenant is quite upset - they may leave regarded of what you choose to install for them.

You need to clarification on:

- who is installing what
- who is paying
- who is making the arrangements
- if the tenant is undertaking the works, what make good is required at the end of the tenancy.

Your PM should have detailed these points prior to advising you of the tenants request as you cannot make a decision without that information.

If the premises were secure and accepted by the tenant prior to the commencement of the lease then you would have no obligation. However in SA neither the landlord nor the tenant may unreasonably withhold consent to the alteration, removal or addition of a lock or security
device by, and at the expense of, the other. This means that if the tenant wants the additional items they have requested and they are paying for it, approval cannot be withheld.

Last edited:
Have just been informed by PM that our IP in footscray got broken into, and our tenants are asking to install alarm, window shutters and CCTV. I can understand how upset they are but am not sure about installing all these, not sure how I should reply. Any thoughts or suggestion?

Personally - I'd just install what you legally have to. The rest of the stuff could be installed professionally at tenants costs. I doubt you have a requirement to provide those items but I'm no PM expert either.

I believe you just need to make sure the property is secure, this might mean keyed locks on the windows (if not already installed). That's as far as I'd go with my properties. I remember having a discussion on these forums previously and as long as the windows have a mechanism to keep them shut, that was deemed 'lockable'.

You could instruct the PM to get quotes on the items the tenant has asked for and work out the extra rent you would charge to have all these added to the property, then put the rent increase to the tenant. Might be something like $10-30 a week extra rent. Up to you really.

Might be a few other items to weigh up, like if they're fixed term, how easy it would be to re-rent the property should the tenant leave (monthly lease), if they're otherwise excellent tenants etc.

What sort of security do neighbouring properties have? This might give you an idea if yours is an easy target or it was just bad luck.
I would probably make some effort to improve security in this case and keep the tenants happy, maybe get some quotes and seek advice from your pm? Alarm systems vary greatly in price

They may also feel a little helpless and vulnerable as they cannot improve security without your approval and are worried it may happen again.
You might not be obligated to do anything but I would try to do something even if it is a small gesture

Hi Clarew, first question I would ask is how did they break in? Did you have any damage done to your property? Who fixed the damage, should be covered by your insurance policy (you will need a police lodgement number). Your insurance company may ask for extra security? If no damaged and the just went in an open door/window then alarm system wont stop them. They are in and out so quickly and tenants need to learn to lock up correctly!!!

And an A/C unit when windows are all sealed shut and locked. And a screen door that resists intruders. And a roof they tiles cant be lifted etc. and....

Alarms are almost useless. The intruder will smash the keypad to pieces and the siren inside (and outside too).

These days wireless alarm / camera systems are fairly cheap starting around $100 and go up with camera and the like and don't need hard wiring...tenant can pay for it and take it when they go. Or you can buy the system and charge them so you make $ on it. ie $40 a month :p

Shutters - Great. Their kids then burn to death and you get the blame by the firies in the media.

The tenants are having a perfectly understandable emotional over-reaction to what we assume is a one-off event. Let them have a dog inside, it will give them lots of warm fuzzies.

You're under no obligation to do anything, providing all windows and doors lock - that's it.

If they want extra security they can pay, or you could look at splitting the cost.

A while back I had an alarm system installed in a property for around $600.

I understand they're upset, but these things happen (rarely) and regardless of what is installed at the property a criminal will break in one way or another if they're determined enough.

Thank you all so much for your reply, they have all been very helpful and give me some direction to deal with this unfortunate event
The property has window lock and door (deadlock)
The burglar broke the fly screen and window of the bedroom at the front of the house.
I have emailed the agent and still waiting for her reply, will do a follow up call today. I have told her that the tenants are more than welcomed to install all those request on their own cost. I was thinking of agreeing to some of the request, but hey are also expecting us to Install aircon before end of this year (without increasing the rent), cost starts to add up.

And an A/C unit when windows are all sealed shut and locked. And a screen door that resists intruders. And a roof they tiles cant be lifted etc. and....

Alarms are almost useless. The intruder will smash the keypad to pieces and the siren inside (and outside too).

These days wireless alarm / camera systems are fairly cheap starting around $100 and go up with camera and the like and don't need hard wiring...tenant can pay for it and take it when they go. Or you can buy the system and charge them so you make $ on it. ie $40 a month :p

Shutters - Great. Their kids then burn to death and you get the blame by the firies in the media.

Unfortunately Paul is correct, a determined intruder will always get in. In my experience, if the lock is too strong attack the hinges, if the door is too strong go through the roof, if the door and roof is too strong, go through the window, if all the above too strong... get a bigger vehicle with a bullbar. Best system I have seen is a steel cage lined warehouse with a smoke machine that filled the room with smoke on alarm so that the intruder can't see their way around.. this also provides enough time for response authorities to catch them inside.
Back to the question.... typical tenant reaction, you are not obligated to install anything extra, if they are good tenants you might negotiate on getting them an audible alarm which will add value to your rental in future.

Back