Smoke Alarms, what is the go with these annual check ups

I'e received the similar letter from my PM for property in Vic.

It states that The REIV and Building Commission have identified it is the landlord’s responsibility to maintain smoke alarms in residential rental properties.
By law, every house must have:

• smoke alarms fitted in accordance with the Building Regulations
• smoke alarms correctly cleaned and tested at least once a year
• smoke alarm batteries replaced at least once a year, and
• smoke alarms replaced every ten years as identified by expiry dates on the unit.

It also says that for $77 contractor will clean,test,replace batteries, put alarm in right location (where possible)...if new smoke detector is required extra
charges apply. is there any rule in VIC that states that where smoke alarm needs to be & wat is the right location? (outside of bedroom?)....

If i decided not to use this service then it is my responsibility to provide PM with appropriate documentation annually stating when alarms have been maintained,
by whom and what has been done during the service. is this mandatory? can any PM from VIC confirm pls....?

On the other hand... I've reviewed my tenancy agrrement which has dedicated section of 'smoke alarms'...it states landlord must conduct regular checks if instructions
given by landlord/agent or their contractor....the tenant must replace batteries....

so I am thinking to arrange contractor to go out for this year only, request them to provide instruction for testing smoke alarms to tenant
(which they've agreed as per agreement)...find out the location and expiry date of unit....then ask tenant to take care of it frm there......does this sound legit?

I'm in NSW so we are only required to change the batteries at the start of the tenancy, our PM sent me a letter to sign saying I would take responsibility for the smoke alarms if I didnt pay the $100 per year to maintain them.
In the property we just bought I put in two new alarms, followed the manufacturers instructions with regards to placement.
Bought 2 new batteries to install.
At each change of tenancy I will change out the batteries, and test the alarm as per the manufacturers instructions (push the button) and replace the unit if it is near its expiry date.
I have a fire alarm log book for the property with photos of the alarms to prove the placment is as per the manufactures instructions, copys of the reciept of purchase of the alarms and batteries, and the manuals that came with the alarms.
On installation and each time I test the alarms and replace the batteries I make a entry in the book with the date, time and what was done.
Would this be enough if I ended up in court, who knows but it is about the best I can do.

Our tenants would often disconnect the smoke alarms.

We now make all tenants sign a form stating it is working (we press the button) and they also agree in writing to notify us, should it need a new battery or if it stops working.

smitr -

The Victorian Building Regulations state that hard wired smoke alarms are required in all properties constructed after mid 1997 - or ones that have undergone substantial renovations. I should have clarified where I operate in Victoria there are many new developments and most homes I manage are newer than the 1997 codes, which is why I stated in most cases. Homes constructed prior to that date require working smoke alarms which may be isolated and battery-operated.

In regards to the start of the tenancy, per my earlier post the smoke alarm needs to be in working order. You don't necessarily need to test it but the onus is on the owner of the property if (heaven forbid) something goes wrong. The tenant is presumed able to rely on all fixtures in the premises, including smoke alarms, being in working order when commencing the tenancy.

Whilst there's no direct legislation, I feel this would fall under "Landlord's duty to maintain premises."

It's been talked about for years to get some clear cut legislation on smoke alarms - I would personally love it! Unfortunately that is not the case, as with gas appliances. Instead they just keep bringing in more legislation to screw landlords over (IMO).

s0805 -

The one I use is $99 including alarms and unlimited visits. I know the company REIV recommends is different, however I found the service better with the one I have gone with.

I believe the location of smoke alarms comes down to the size of the property, and location of the bedrooms. This fact sheet has the details.

I will again say, there is no section in the Residential Tenancies Act for smoke alarms. You need to maintain them, however providing a report is not necessary (yet) but it is extra protection against you and your agent in the event of a fire.

It's like checking Fire Extinguishers or Tag & Test requirements, what defines a "competent person" and what are the actual requirements in your state :D

I'e received the similar letter from my PM for property in Vic.

so I am thinking to arrange contractor to go out for this year only, request them to provide instruction for testing smoke alarms to tenant
(which they've agreed as per agreement)...find out the location and expiry date of unit....then ask tenant to take care of it frm there......does this sound legit?

This sounds fine in theory if tenant is long term. If tenant not long term may need to have yearly inspections.
I only have one ip and choose to do the yearly check as property is interstate, not possible to do myself, and one less thing to worry about.

In Victoria they need to be hard wired, with battery back up. (In most cases)

are you sure? only one of my agents has pushed hard wired ones, and this agency is just picky about eveyrthing they do which is why I chose them, and they just highly recommend them,

if this was the case bunnings wouldnt be selling battery ones

s0805 -

The one I use is $99 including alarms and unlimited visits. I know the company REIV recommends is different, however I found the service better with the one I have gone with.

I believe the location of smoke alarms comes down to the size of the property, and location of the bedrooms. This fact sheet has the details.

I will again say, there is no section in the Residential Tenancies Act for smoke alarms. You need to maintain them, however providing a report is not necessary (yet) but it is extra protection against you and your agent in the event of a fire.

thanks skater....

I wonder if there is no section on 'smoke alarms' in act then why estate agencies put this on agreement. I assume
because it is not in tenancies act, it is not legal nor enforcable on tenant when situation arise.....very misleading

I think paying this for one year seems good idea as it should confirm location, expiry date of the unit and i can request them on instructions for
testing this in future.....from there on change the batteries and test it before start of tenancy & yearly inspections and record in diary as someone has
mentioned already....

This sounds fine in theory if tenant is long term. If tenant not long term may need to have yearly inspections.
I only have one ip and choose to do the yearly check as property is interstate, not possible to do myself, and one less thing to worry about.

Comet, i agree DIY for interstate properties doesn't make sense.....but in the same state atleast once its checked up u'll know expiry date and other info....
frm there on u can ask tenant if not then do it on yearly inspections.....

Currently the onus is on the tenant to change batteries, but the owner to maintain the alarms.

The reason I include the option for outsourcing and that I don't do it myself is to cover my own butt if something goes wrong.

It's my insurance and my license on the line so I am picky and make sure things are done right.

Lil Skater is right (as usual :D), anything built after a certain date (I was actually told August 1998 ?) has to have the hard-wired alarms. Just as a matter of interest I had one such property the other day and the hard-wired alarm wasn't working. Required replacement. The landlord wanted to replace with battery operated alarm, not actually legal! If it has hard-wired alarms they have to be maintained or replaced :).

Also worthwhile to get these things looked after for your own building insurance :)

In QLD is has been legislated that smoke alarms must be checked 30 days prior to the commencement of a tenancy or a minimum of once every 12 months.

We use smoke alarms Australia, they have a flat rate fee of $99 which includes replacement and or additional alarms if required. Nothing more to pay. For me $99 is a small price to pay for piece of mind that you are complying fully with the relevant legislation.

Back