Break lease Fee Shock

We are trying to work out how much the break lease fees on our current house are for our employer to pay out and we have come up with the huge price of $4600+! :eek:

We will be leaving around 9 weeks early as we have been transferred overseas.

We are in an area with a lot of available rentals so we worked out these costs based on an agreement we signed when we moved in.

• Rent to end of lease = $3150
  • Letting Fee + GST = $770
  • Advertising = no idea how much this costs so estimated $300
  • $55 for each open inspection so we have estimated $440

The clause we signed also says that all costs will be taken from our bond which obviously won't be enough and we need to pay extra before the new tenant starts their tenancy.

It also says we need to pay all Residential Tenancies Tribunal costs. I am unsure what this means and am hoping for some advice on any extra costs we may not have anticipated.

All advice very much appreciated. Thank You.

If you are able to find another tenant to take over your lease within the 9 week period remaining on your lease, you won't be liable for such a large amount. Residential tenancies costs can be found here

$37.90 for the VCAT fees unless it is a bond matter - but would be more because of appearance fees etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is huge but depending on your area likely accurate. I find it a bit rich that they are charging $55 per open for inspection though - it's part of their job! A gripe for another thread I guess :).

get in touch with the agent with a leaving date ASAP so they can get in and get it advertised, also, just keep in mind that the agent should be advertising at the same price you are paying in rent too and not higher.

I can see why you will be liable for any other cost than rent to the end of the lease.

Just give notice and vacate pay the rent till the end of lease and that it.

Why should you be liable for re-letting cost when you have paid till the end of the term?

I can see why you will be liable for any other cost than rent to the end of the lease.

Why should you be liable for re-letting cost when you have paid till the end of the term?

Exactly...?

Also (in NSW) the agent is supposed to advertise for a new tenant and be trying as per usual on this. They are not allowed to dilly dally and as soon as a new tenant is found you are free to go with rent paid up to the date new tenent starts.

Of course scum bag agents will dilly dally using all sorts of excuses to keep you on until they "need" to get a new tenant.

Make more enquiries with your relevant Tenants asociation.

Dare I say it - pay them $1750 and say c'ya, take the remainder out of the bond - just like so many other tenants.

Or pay them what you have calculated and when you come back to Aust I will happily rent to you.;)

Cheers

We are trying to work out how much the break lease fees on our current house are for our employer to pay out and we have come up with the huge price of $4600+! :eek:

We will be leaving around 9 weeks early as we have been transferred overseas.

We are in an area with a lot of available rentals so we worked out these costs based on an agreement we signed when we moved in.

• Rent to end of lease = $3150
  • Letting Fee + GST = $770
  • Advertising = no idea how much this costs so estimated $300
  • $55 for each open inspection so we have estimated $440

The clause we signed also says that all costs will be taken from our bond which obviously won't be enough and we need to pay extra before the new tenant starts their tenancy.

It also says we need to pay all Residential Tenancies Tribunal costs. I am unsure what this means and am hoping for some advice on any extra costs we may not have anticipated.

All advice very much appreciated. Thank You.

Ok that is all a crock!!

Firstly, the leasing fee can only be charged pro rata so it would be calculated as follows (going by your calculation for your final rental payment i am guessing you pay around $350pw) Assuming the owners pay a 3.3% leasing fee it would be as follows:

2 months remaining of the lease agreement @$1521 pcm x 2 x 3.3% = $100.38 (inc GST)

They cannot make you pay the full 9 weeks rent and then the leasing fee and advertising on top of it. You only pay the leasing fee and the advertising if it is leased BEFORE the end of the lease. If a new tenancy does not commence until after the end of the fixed term then they are not legally able to charge you those fees.

Advertising should cost you at the high end no more than $200 inc GST
$55.00 inspection?!!! In my 15 years as a PM I have never heard of this being charged before, that is what the leasing fee is for. You do not have to pay this!

In short the agent/owner has a legal obligation to list the property and do everything in its power to mitigate your loss. If they fail to do this, if they advertise the property at a higher rate then you can take them to VCAT. Ask them to put your contact phone number on the internet listing and have prospective tenants contact you directly (if you feel confident enough to do this) I would be contacting the tenants union regarding this.

If the property is leased before then end of the lease but say after a month, then make sure the LF is pro rata down to only reflect one month remaining.

Just because you have signed a form stating the agent can deduct the fees from your bond does not mean they can, they require your signature on the bond claim form. DO NOT SIGN A BOND CLAIM FORM WITH THESE RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS CHARGED!!! If they refuse to back down on the fees then make them take you to VCAT (if you are overseas by the time the hearing occurs contact VCAT and see what you need to do to be able to have a representative at the hearing on your behalf - hell i will even represent you if you need!!) There is no way on earth that VCAT would award inspection fees or full Leasing Fees with 9 weeks remaining of the tenancy and they will give the agent a serve for trying to get them past the keeper! I wonder how many unsuspecting tenants they have scammed in the past :mad:.

It is a tough market and say worst case scenario the property does not lease for 9 weeks, then you are NOT LIABLE for any lease break costs as you have not broken your lease, you have fulfilled the contract by paying all rental monies until the end of the fixed term tenancy.

Good luck with it, happy to help more if you need, send me a DM.

Cheers

I was going to say, I need to get a new property manager :eek:

This is outrageous, I have had many break lease tenants in the past,
the agent must re advertise at the same rental price,(start advertising as soon as possible before you need to leave, the agent must be seen as being active in finding a new tenant.
The break lease tenant had to cover letting fee balance (i.e. if no new tenant is found within the 9 weeks left on the lease). No $55 for home opens. this is rubbish. !
Definately do not sign anything and get on top of the agent to ensure they are advertising the property 4 weeks before you plan to leave it and hopefully you will find a back to back tenant to take your place with minimal financial loss to you.

good luck.

We always tell our tenants they should look for replacement tenants too...afterall, it's in their best interest. They can show their unit, and then pass them along to us. We still try to mitigate their loss, as required.

So what is a realistic break lease expense? Is it giving up the bond? Advertisement costs? Solicitor costs?

It should be a total of the lost rental remaining on the lease plus re-advertising costs (if any) minus the total of the new rent paid by a new tenant for the remaining lease.

It should be a total of the lost rental remaining on the lease plus re-advertising costs (if any) minus the total of the new rent paid by a new tenant for the remaining lease.

Seek the Tenants Union. They'd love to help you out!

Then bring the matter to VCAT, you'll be paying a fraction of what they demanded!

And no, they can't add you into NTD or TICA easily now. So don't worry about being blacklisted unreasonably.

Obvioulsy the RE agent is trying rip you off :)

Wow! That's huge!

You should ask for a break down on all the fees, you want to know what is going where and why the fees are charged.

They shouldn't be charging you anymore than they charge their landlord.

It does depend on what the rent is on the property as well. The $55 per inspection is just ludicrous though! As I said, get the break down on all the costs and maybe shoot one of us property managers a PM.

Collector - in VIC the tenant is responsible for all reasonable re-letting costs of the property, ensuring the landlord is not out of pocket. This includes a pro-rata letting fee, advertising and all rent up until the end of lease or until a new tenant is secured (which ever comes first).

Thank you to you all for the information, especially Goofy. We are still not sure what we are going to do in terms of the lease fees but feel much more confident about asking questions about the amounts charged

Back