Bribie Hotspot

Just an update for those interested in Bribie Island. Very good full page article in today's Sunshine Coast Paper, new golf course currently under construction, world class, all the houses being built in the golf course development will come with their own underground water tank and photo sensor lighting control, they are really driving home environment angle, they are calling Bribie the New Noosa. I guess time will tell, but they seem to be fair dinkum about making the area a real world class quality set-up. Gated security community and marina on the go as well. I have seen a plan for Pacific Harbour estate for the future and it will be the place to live in a few years, hell, I love it there now.Hope I can afford to live there someday.
JIM

G'day JJJ,

Having not been there for a while, can you please tell me where exactly Pac Harbour is located and where the "trendy" eateries etc are located. I haven't been there for I reckon 10 years and there certainly wasn't anything of the sort then!!

I would think that PH may be between Bongaree and Woorim?? Has Woorim or Bellara/Banksia Beach been the areas to take off??

Dos

Ageing population

Hi all,

was just looking a little information on Bribie Island (this thread has really got me thinking!) and came accross this report which projected the population of Bribie Island to be one of the oldest in Australia by 2020. What effect do you think an influx of 'older people' or retirees will have on property prices and the types of developments being undertaken on the island?

i know that's probably a very broad question, i guess i am just wondering if communities where the average age is significantly higher than the current average suffer from slowing economies?

thanks erin

source:
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/fc77531037cb0d06ca256bcd008272ec?OpenDocument

PROJECTED 'OLDEST' SLA(a) POPULATIONS IN AUSTRALIA - 2019

--------------------------------------- Proportion aged 65 years and over

Local Area Region %1999 %2019
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bribie Island Qld C 28.2 36.8
Bilinga Qld C 28.6 35.2
Victor Harbor SA C 29.0 33.3
Runaway Bay Qld C 20.2 32.3
Paradise Point Qld C 24.8 32.3
Mornington Peninsula South Vic. C 16.5 32.0
Strathbogie Vic. I 20.3 31.9
Mannum SA I 20.2 31.8
Hollywell Qld C 20.4 30.8
Barraba NSW I 21.5 30.6
Redcliffe Scarborough Qld C 21.9 30.4
Hindmarsh Vic. I 21.6 30.3
Brighton SA C/M 20.1 30.3
Bass Coast Balance Vic. C 21.9 30.2
Sandgate Qld C/M 24.6 30.1
Great Lakes NSW C 24.8 30.1
Fisher ACT M 12.6 30.1
Upper Mount Gravatt Qld M 20.5 30.1

Total Australia 12.2 17.6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Uses 1996 SLA boundaries and excludes SLAs with fewer than 1000 people.
(b) ‘C’=coastal; ‘I’=inland; and ‘M’=metropolitan.

Source: ABS Population Projections for Statistical Local Areas 1999-2019.

Oceanview don`t knock big doors they are great when moving in stuff.........big stuff!!.
With a standard size door how are the new generation of big spending Aussies supposed to get our huge plasma tvs and massive fridges, not to mention our very big heads....... INTO the house?. :D
I never could understand why doors were always so narrow 800-900 wide, mine is 1200 and over 2 mt sounds great.

I'm sure JJJ will be able to give a more accurate opinion regarding the age of residents on Bribie but I know a few people who reside there and I wouldn't call them "old". I would think with all the new canal developments plus the cost of property on the island now there will be a significant balance in ages on the island. I know a few business people who love the lifestyle there and travel to Brisvegas for work.

Canal front homes start at around $650k and just keep going up from there. I've always kept an eye on Bribie, I love driving over the bridge on a clear day and looking at all the activity in the Passage and the view. My brother owned a caravan park there many years ago.

And.......Bribie sure has a good Golf course :D

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Where's the assumption that old people spend less money coming from?

In past generations the old people were depression children & so very frugal - not so the baby-boomer, who aims to spend all their money & die five minutes after spending their last dollar.

Plus huge health & infrastructure spending to support them.

I reckon an older demographic backed by the wealth of boomers who can buy into the area will be a positive in the mid-term rather than a negative. (At least until the money runs out)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I caught up with a friend yesterday who lives in Bribie Island but is in Sydney for a few days. Her house is on the market - marraige breakup.

One comment she made is that Bribie is considered a big retirement village, but a lot of families are starting to move there and she didn't like the idea of lots of kids being there.

Maybe if all the 'oldies' think like that, they will all sell up and move and it will become a playground for the young & rich as opposed to the old & rich. :p

Olly

emcdonald said:
Hi all,
was just looking a little information on Bribie Island (this thread has really got me thinking!) and came accross this report which projected the population of Bribie Island to be one of the oldest in Australia by 2020. What effect do you think an influx of 'older people' or retirees will have on property prices and the types of developments being undertaken on the island?

i know that's probably a very broad question, i guess i am just wondering if communities where the average age is significantly higher than the current average suffer from slowing economies?
Erin,
The stats you have in front of you were published in May 2002. I can tell you that the demographic of Bribie has changed vastly even since then. The age of people buying there has lowered drastically of late. Its very similar to Caloundra, people used to say that about there too, but you only need to visit the place to see what recent years have changed. Go and see for yourself and then make judgement on whether it is a sleepy retirement haven, it would not be wise to make investment decisions on 2 year old data.
JIM

Jimmyjamjars said:
Erin,
The stats you have in front of you were published in May 2002. I can tell you that the demographic of Bribie has changed vastly even since then. The age of people buying there has lowered drastically of late. Its very similar to Caloundra, people used to say that about there too, but you only need to visit the place to see what recent years have changed. Go and see for yourself and then make judgement on whether it is a sleepy retirement haven, it would not be wise to make investment decisions on 2 year old data.
JIM

My parents live on Bribie and I have spentr a fair bit of time there over the years. I agree that the average demographic has changed recently with Pacific Harbour and other developments, but there are certainly still areas which you would call a retirement village. The area around my parent's house (in Bongaree) is jam packed with retirees.

John.

Bribie

John you are spot on there. But lets face it who wouldn't want to retire there!
The prices are still affordable to low income retirees (just only).

For your dollar it buys you so much paridise. It is hard to find an area that close to Brisbane Hospital & CBD with the qualities that the island has to offer. The closest beach to Brusbane and Moreton bay island is just like the whitsundays on a clear day.

But the younger generation has NOW noticed and now sadly for sum, the older they will strugle to buy here from now on. But there is no doubt a very large population of older people reside there now. Prices are going crazy due to the large expectation of the future house designs starting to be built along with certain celeb's now moving there in the last 4 mths

But I have no doubt at all this older age group will decline in numbers due to price & FUTURE demand.

OV

Update

Hi all,
Just received Pacific Harbour's latest "Island Times" newsletter in the mail today, thought I would update on a few stats. The last of the canal front homesites in the estate were expected to sell out by 2010, but, with over 90% now sold, they are now expected to be sold out sometime in the next 12 months. To quote the newsletter,
"Strong capital gains have been achieved to date, however over the next few years, as the final stages are released, and new infrastructure such as the marina & country club are complete, prices are set to skyrocket". Interesting too, is they quote from Matusik Property Insights, comparing QLD Canal Communities.
Annual Growth from 1999-2003
Pacific Harbour (Bribie) - 52.3%
Pelican Waters (Caloundra) - 36.8%
Noosa Waters (Noosa)- 35.7%
Minyama Waters (Maroochydore) - 34.7%
Raby Bay (Cleveland) - 31.4%
Clear Island Waters (Gold Coast) - 25%
Sovereign Island (Gold Coast) - 24.1%

For your interest.
JIM

I for one am just giggling uncontrollably :D

bribie

JJJ,,,, Well the new look does impress

Can u use that body to pull out pandanis trees for me .......

I have just arrived back from the island. 18 months ago some people were shocked to here a property sold for 1 mil. Well on sunday a cash buyer walked in to a real estate agent and left a chq for 2.9 mil to purchase a home on bribie on a 900 sq metre block/ And yes It was not a pensioner.

I have stumbled over so much new news for that area in the last 3 weeks it is quite staggering. But it has been since 1999.. Sorry I could not catch up!

cheers ocean

I was there 2 weekends ago for 3 days at the Koolamarra. Had a great time but was too busy at the surfside pub to check out real estate matters :D

Ohhh.....and the golf course again was excellent. Noticed there is a big new golf course about to go up too.

We had a great time and plenty of good seafood.

Did notice a new retirement village to be truthful but it wasn't the only property development to go up since I was there last.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

bribie

Kevin I know the village (retirement) you mentioned
I tried to get one for my parents for the future. As land there is so rare for these types it sold out otp in five minutes 18 months ago.

It is so hard to get anything modern without a stampede.

But another caravan park was sold to a developer a month ago with Hopefully some more new retirement dwellings soon to be built.

Remember the older generation is not a bad thing. My parents are 69 and they just want to spend their money and make friends, But they seem to want to do it on bribie with a lot of others. Mind u the price for these places range from $280k to $500k. Its not cheap...

Catching Up

Oceanview,
Yeah, sorry mate, unfortunately I'm currently typing this while on holidays in Hervey Bay, would have been good to catch up but it'll happen. Good to hear all the doomsayers crap is just that. Once people go to Bribie and experience how nice the place is and how good it will become once all the proposed infrastructure is in place, its not hard to wonder why they are fetching the prices they're getting. And it isn't something thats done any justice by a mere google search either. My only advice to anyone wanting to know about Bribie is go to the place for a weekend and see for yourself how nice it is.
JIM

Bribie

JJJ no drama's Hope Harvey was as good as it once was.

I noticed a figure in the recently released urban QLD Plan, from East Caboolture (east of the Bruce highway) through to the island (bribie) there will need a total of 600 new dwellings a year for ten years straight to sustain the migration.

I know that does not seem alot. But considering the currant populations in that area, one would think this to be a healthy population growth %rate.

Come to think of it that whole List of areas from Harvey to Bribie (where boom is only recently starting) have so many great signs of growth due to the current small populations they hold now.

It is great to see now that every month there seems to be New major infultructure approved to start by councils to help that effect.
Where as 4 years ago the locals would of strangled you for applying. Seeing that new SUBWAY open on Bribie was one example. I felt pain at first when I noticed the sign as I truley wanted to apply for it myself. But looking at it now it is the way towns grow and new business seem to follow one another which is all adding to the situation.
The McDonalds site was approved years ago but due to the vast rare amounts of commercial land the owner had no choice but to decide to build commercial shop fronts mixed with residential units instead.This seemed to be a faster way of profit then flipping burgers.

OV

Update

I have some updates with this area.

The water front properties have surged again in the last 4 weeks, I have 4 clients who all have had a fight to pick up a homes this last fortnight.

All have been buying a a different home then the other but in bidding wars with others and dutch autions. Seems to me that the dry blocks (none water homes) have been left behind again in price war. Water buyers so strong. Many people from other countries putting pressure on the locals. 3 more homes sold last week for over 2 mil. considering 18mths ago the highest price was a mil.

The type of buyers are changing this area faster then I have ever seen an area develop. Its not the numbers of homes selling its the quality and price that's turning heads.

Pacific Harbour Golf & Country Club

Kevin Hockey said:
And.......Bribie sure has a good Golf course :D
Kev

Well Kev,
You now have 2 to choose from as the Pacific Harbour Golf & Country Club is finally open for business.
http://www.iseekgolf.com/news/9102
It's supposed to be quite spectacular [at half a billion, I would hope so]. You'll have to have a hit out there and tell me how it is. Not sure how far away the marina is from completion, maybe Oceanview would have a better idea [you out there somewhere OV ????].
Some nice places popping up there at the moment. Check this one out.
http://www.pacificharbour.com.au/property_sales/default.asp?lPropertyId=383

JIM

Stll around

Hi JJ,,

Yes still around and you might be surprised that I have 900 pandanus palms inthe nursery. It was not that hard to the suckers to grow.

Marina is now around 16 months away, CONCRETE wall are up and proceeding on tme for completion 2007.
Being busy with Business last 6months

Gday Phil also

Stayed at http://www.fairwaysretreat.com.au/ for christmas and again a couple of weeks ago for easter holidays. We love this location for its easy access to the beach and of course the golf course. There is a lot of new development on Bribie, I checked in with a friends in real estate while i was there. Also inspected the new golf course as you mentioned JJJ but unfortunately not from the fairways :( We have a good friend with a canal front home at Bribie who took us to Moreton Island for the day which was sensational.

Bribie is changing, Pacific Harbour is bringing money to the island and the demographics is changing. Personally I am looking to invest here, its future looks excellent. Bribie is an island which seems to keep the balance between infrastructure and its main drawcard which is the feeling of having left the ratrace. Pity there's not more fish about but i did see some Tailor getting caught on our last day there. We caught some Dart, whiting and bream but most of it was small.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Back