Brick Veneer

Is this the description given to any brick house that has an outer brick wall but inner gyprock walls, or is that something different?

I keep seeing this description and I am confused with the information i have found via google.

I know what double brick is, but some sites say brick veneer is not really brick and gyprock, it is a brick facade with thin layer of brick to make it look like brick but it is not even 1 brick thick?

If anyone could clear this up for me, i would be grateful!!

"Brick veneer" is usually 110mm of brick work (one brick thick), a studwork frame and an inner skin of gyprock or other internal wall lining.

"Double brick" is a skin of bricks, a cavity and then another skin of bricks internally, generally with a hard plaster surface or gyprock added to the internal skin.

You may be hitting international sites. "Veneer" by definition is a thin layer of something, and yes, you can get "fake bricks" that are 1 or 2cm thick that stick on something else (usually less attractive bricks) as a brick look feature wall - I suspect this is called brick veneer somewhere.

In Australia, its what everyone else says. Framed house, outer 1 brick thick skin, internal walls in gyprock.

Back