brick versus weatherboard

Building the the country (and eating a lot of peaches **for those that remember the song) ... I really like the look of weatherboard and colourbond for the location but hubby reckons rendered brick will be better for insulation.

I'm of the belief that, rather than brick or weatherboard, temperature control comes down mainly to the quality of the insulation - and that brick can become overhot in summer as a thermal mass.

Thoughts?

I believe I am qualified enough to answer this question :D

I live in a brick house and yes it is nice and warm in winter and "cool" in the summer and importantly it is easy to keep clean as it doesn't have cracks like a timber house.
The down side of brick is it is directly on the ground so water entry is a possibility,as with white ants ,snakes and if these possible scenereos are minimized they are good and also cheaper to build as you can use a budget builder.

I love timber houses on stumps but they can be cold,hard to keep clean,noisy,
Remember they only have a timber floor so unless you have carpet it will get cold.They can be cooler in the summer but harder to cool down with A/Cs,therefore not as efficient.Even if you modernize it with gyprock,cracks will appear as they do move just like wooden yacht.

Looks like living in a brick house for the last few years has turned me around.:D

I do like a timber house on stumps for a rental as the plumbing is easy to get to,easy to restore,harder for tenants to punch a hole in the wall :D
I;m not paying for the power so efficiency is not an issue as in cooling/heating.

Split limestone looks good. Take a look on realestate.com for rent in crescent head. Works well in a bush setting if that's what hou're after. I cAnt do link from my phone.

Not looking at timber on stumps ... rather slab (with timber flooring over) - steel frame - with modern weatherboard looking cladding.

I have lived in old weatherboard and old brick ... both freezing.

I have also lived in four modern brick and temperature control depended on insulation/draft control and sun orientation ... some were cold in winter and some were warm - some were stinking hot in summer and some were cool.

We're also having a LOT of thermal glazing - so I guess what goes between is not so important as orientation/draft control and insulation.

Weatherboard can give slightly more space for a same size design. I think my vinyl clad granny flat (60sqm) was 3 sqm bigger than a brick and also costs 7k less to build.

Back