Brisbane - Demolition control precincts

I wanted to ask if anyone had been successful removing an old house in a Brisbane DCP?

I have an old house on 2 lots that I'd love to remove and build 2 new ones.
I've read all the material published by the council, but wondered if there was any way around the rules.. Relaxations etc..

The house is tired, but structurally sound..

It's near impossible to speak to a town planner this week! :)

I wanted to ask if anyone had been successful removing an old house in a Brisbane DCP?

I have an old house on 2 lots that I'd love to remove and build 2 new ones.
I've read all the material published by the council, but wondered if there was any way around the rules.. Relaxations etc..

The house is tired, but structurally sound..

It's near impossible to speak to a town planner this week! :)
Depending on the area,can you move the house over,and build on the other block,or just sell the spare block..

We are in a DCP and our IPs are also in DCP areas.

House over the road was removed after a long wait, but it managed to get approval. It was a 1930 style, so shouldn't have been able to have been removed.

House near our IP somehow managed to get approval for removal. It was on a double block with two street access. Developer build two houses, each facing their own street.

I always wonder if it depends on how much folding stuff you slip under the table at the council office :D but recently a town planner suggested that I could have one of our IPs approved for removal. Another town planner told me he was fairly confident another of our IPs could be removed from the block.

I say approach a town planner and see what your chances are. Call me cynical... but DCP should mean DCP, not "maybe DCP".

I was told recently when we had a deck drawn up that Bartley Burns were only doing little jobs now. I don't know if that is true as we haven't called to organise lodgement as yet. We have used them several times in the past, so would be curious if you have used them recently willair?

Hey 65fbk

Not sure if you have resolved this, but if you send me the address, I would be able to have a look into the possibility of the house being demolished. In Brisbane, the demolition of pre-1946 houses within a DCP is possible. However, the removal will need to comply with the requirements of the Demolition Code, in that:

The building:
• must not represent ‘traditional building character’, or
• must not be capable of structural repair, or
• must not contribute positively to the visual character of the street

Obviously, the 1st and third dot point are fairly objective so it's difficult to say with any certainty that a house can be demolished, as each house will be assessed by Council on it's individual merits.

Last edited:
Few years ago had a lovely 30s house next door to us on two lots in a DCP. Owners started demolishing it from the inside - got rid of all the walls. We could see what they were doing and reported it to council but at the end of the day the owners had the house declared structurally unsound and were allowed to demolish it. I guess that was under LJW's second point in the demolition code.

I think they were fined something like $10-$20k. Loose change considering they made quite a bit of money selling the two blocks, one of which had potential city views. They did make a lot of enemies though. Tough situation because there is no way they should have been allowed to do that, but council can't oppose demolition of a ramshackle house, regardless of how it became that way. The two new owners of the small blocks had to jump through hoops with their building approvals - so many neighbours were on the ball by then.

Back