Buy, Reno, Hold in Brisbane

Hi all,

Long time reader – first time poster (please be nice :))

We are looking for our next IP purchase south east of Brisbane, wanting to make it the first of many developable properties in our portfolio. We want to make it a fairly simple starting point for us, and are looking for a straight splitter block, double block with a rundown but structurally sound house to reno then rent out and hold for future development (i.e. demolish, split, build two new).

With the new draft city plan, I understand they are making allowances for smaller lot sizes including 7.5m frontages, does anyone know when this is effective from? And also, just to confirm (for us amateur developers) would this mean we could purchase a block now with a less than 20m frontage, let’s say 19m but still over 800m2 in total, which I found over the weekend - then be allowed to split it down the track and make 2 x 9.5m frontage properties? In theory I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but I don’t like to assume and would really value others opinions / advice on this.

Also, a question for the town planners, found a good splitter, post war ideal for our scenario but is in the Demolition Control Precinct – are there any grey areas as to getting around this for future development? Council town planners told us straight out no, but we thought maybe there is another way?? Because the house has been built on to with extra rooms, carport which changes street appeal and the original structure. Is any of this relevant?? Would love to know the ins and outs of DCP’s that Council don’t like to share.

Any other feedback on this category of buy/reno/hold for development would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I thought post war houses even in DCP areas could be taken off fairly easily. At least that seems to be the case in our area.

PM me the address and I will tell you whether you can remove it or not.

New City Plan is great and a lot more flexible. However, changes have been flagged regarding limiting the areas that the 7.5m thing can happen. It is still a draft. Hopefully later this year it will come in.

D

Back