brisbane hotspots - infrastructure related research

Hi,

After reading a lot over the past few days I think that there are a lot of theories around on why a suburb achieves above normal capital gains. The theme that is consistent is that a suburb must become desirable in the short term ( < 5 years) to achieve above normal growth which only happens if there is a transformation i.e. shopping centre, improved infrastructure, cafe precinct, new school etc.

I am excluding renovation as a method to increase values;and
mining towns where there is an influx of people during the construction phase.

Based on this I think Brisbane should have extra ordinary gains and over the next 10 year as workers will have greater wealth.

Now to which suburbs?

inner south brisbane - new train line and it is close to the river. I am focussing on yeerongpilly, dutton park, yeronga.

Carindale - extension of busway

Does anyone want to contradict or substantiate on this theory?

regards,

Unfortunately, Yeronga & Dutton Park railway stations won't see improved rail services from the Cross River Rail project because the tunnel entrance is just north of Yeerongpilly Railway Station.

Providing it does receive funding, it may be 20 years or more before the Eastern Busway reaches Carindale.

Having stated that, I think that there is some good value around Brisbane & Ipswich. Compare prices for similar properties in similar suburbs in Sydney & Melbourne & you'll see what I mean. The climate is a bonus.

I think that the suburbs around the northern busway will do well. Kedron, Lutwyche and Gordon Park stand out once the project finishes in June 2012.

I think that the suburbs around the northern busway will do well. Kedron, Lutwyche and Gordon Park stand out once the project finishes in June 2012.

i'm thinking that they could be a good buy now while all the noise, dust, traffic disruptions etc put people off from buying but once it's finished the prices might go up.

i'm thinking that they could be a good buy now while all the noise, dust, traffic disruptions etc put people off from buying but once it's finished the prices might go up.

I've got a unit in Kedron which is a few minutes walk from the Northern Busway terminal. A number of units in the complex have recently sold at very good prices. It seems that the savvy buyers already know that there are going to be good increases once the busway is completed to Kedron in June 2012.

I have a friend in Melbourne who had a house in Ashburton. He told me that prices in his area skyrocketed once the nearby freeway got completed.

I've got a unit in Kedron which is a few minutes walk from the Northern Busway terminal. A number of units in the complex have recently sold at very good prices. It seems that the savvy buyers already know that there are going to be good increases once the busway is completed to Kedron in June 2012.

Kedron would be my pick for those exact reasons.

Hey Nth Brisbanite,

Care to share the numbers?

I was looking at Kedron a little while ago. I think you will do very well in the long term.

As part of my DD (About 12 months ago) I spoke to the valuer for the area from Brisbane HTW. From memory he said there was potential for renovation buying around the $320k on units with larger interior sqm. 10% spent on an upgrade could see reval up to $380k depending on the quality of the finish.

Jack

Will cross river rail be delivered in next 5 years? I thought a lot of people were not happy with it. I am not sure it will be delivered.

Extension of eastern busway to Carindale will increase the value of the land

Great density increases in the Eastern Corridor Plan for the Busway.

Many agents have no idea about it. Peter W on here excluded, he is all over it.

15 storeys in central Coorparoo and down to the bowls club. 6 storeys at Bennetts Rd. Blocks along there could be picked up at 2 storey prices.

D

Anyone targeting the western corridor on the back of the Legacy Way tunnel project?

I haven't had a single conveyancing client mention this infrastructure as a reason for their purchase. With construction under way I would expect to have a had a couple.

15 storeys in central Coorparoo and down to the bowls club. 6 storeys at Bennetts Rd. Blocks along there could be picked up at 2 storey prices.

D
So there would only be a small time frame to buy in that small area,but 15 storeys would be only the start longterm..

Not neccessarily.

I have complaints against client DA's all the time where the people bought a Qlder in a nice street full of Qld'ers and ignored the fact that it is all zoned LMR, then you put a DA in for town houses or units and are disgusted you could do that.

Once the first DA goes in and signs go up for presales then it will be late. This may not occur for several years though.

The only one I have seen is 9 storey's opposite McDonalds on Old Cleveland Rd and that was only the DA a year or so ago, no presales signs or anything. Most people would not know anything about it.

Up to 15 stories in Coorparoo?? That's ridiculous.. I'd imagine every owner occupier in the suburb would object to that once the DA street notice goes up.

Even the 6 story blocks in Chermside/Garden City seem out of place to me.. reminds me of the old soviet blocks in suburban eastern europe.
A5DX1E.jpg

Up to 15 stories in Coorparoo?? That's ridiculous.. I'd imagine every owner occupier in the suburb would object to that once the DA street notice goes up.

Even the 6 story blocks in Chermside/Garden City seem out of place to me.. reminds me of the old soviet blocks in suburban eastern europe.
A5DX1E.jpg

I am sure they will. Especially the ones with great city view that will be looking at the back of the buildings instead.

They can object all they want, it meets the codes they have no leg to stand on.

I have attached a map to show how wide spread it is.

The Maroon sites mean

1. 6-8 stories high density res
2. 15 stories high density res

The grey/ blue is district centre -15 stories mixed use

the orange 3 is up to 9 stories mixed use.

Attachments

• coorparoo.pdf
    806.3 KB · Views: 629

A5DX1E.jpg

I think we need to go up, rather than out and generally more dense (unless it's next door to me of course). You can't have functioning large cities with single story houses on 1/4 acre blocks (or even half that) in the inner or middle circle.

I think we need to go up, rather than out and generally more dense (unless it's next door to me of course). You can't have functioning large cities with single story houses on 1/4 acre blocks (or even half that) in the inner or middle circle.

This man speaks truth. Everything suddenly becomes viable, eg. tube-stations for one.

As far as I'm aware, most councils require each floor as you go up to be set back from the first to prevent the menacing look of tall menacing looking buildings.

People forget that Australian cities are amongst the most spread out as well as most centrally focused on a single major economic focal hub (CBD) in the world. There's absolutely no way that cities like Sydney or Melbourne can maintain their enviable lifestyle and liveability if the only new housing pushes further and further away from the existing centres as they continue to grow, and if all the employment growth remains concentrated in the CBDs. It's not sustainable, and who in the cities really wants to live a million miles from everything? Why else would state governments be implementing metropolitan planning schemes such as Melbourne 2030, the SEQ Plan or the 30 Year Plan for Greater Adelaide?

The fact that we can generally choose to buy detached housing is one Australians take for granted when there's so many places in the world where it's out of reach for the majority.

Yeerongpilly. yeronga, dutton park fantastic .forget carindale a lot of new money flash houses, flash cars no dough areas..
Yeerongpilly is generally older units and largish -high maintance housing u will be getting large cash losses Yeerongilly has industry and a noisy railway line well. to the east side and may get a Moorooka label in time ,, dutton park and the gabba are great .but look for unregistered 'flats' typically 3-4-5 in a house these always rent and produce a great yield if u buy a sound property but u need to search ..u will find these within a 3 km radius of the CBD.. anyway thats my view

I am sure they will. Especially the ones with great city view that will be looking at the back of the buildings instead.

They can object all they want, it meets the codes they have no leg to stand on.

I have attached a map to show how wide spread it is.

The Maroon sites mean

1. 6-8 stories high density res
2. 15 stories high density res

The grey/ blue is district centre -15 stories mixed use

the orange 3 is up to 9 stories mixed use.
Well spoken Darryl... people will always object -but it is a NIMBY Not in my back yard sob sob story, we must have medium / high density for lots of reasons - i wonder if those who dont agree will be happy to pay more tax for the provision of extra infrastructure, Those who have traveled all the way to SNG will see the condos that satisfy their requirements Anyway bit of a 'no brainer' I guess the detractors wish that they had had the foresight to invest into those 'on the nose' areas 20 years ago, the high rise will happen and Brisbane will be a different urban footprint in just 10 years , I can stand on Kangaroo point and see 10000 units that have been built in the last 10-12 years, this will continue for dozens of reasons object all u like .. it want make any difference as the Town Plan is the Bible ...Thats my view

Back