Brisbane : Investment Opty

If you looked at Supply, Acacia Ridge has minimal new lots, North Lakes has loads.

Acacia Ridge has a big industrial area.

North Lakes has a Westfield and numerous other big name businesses going in there.

As a start I think it also depends on what your price points, demographics, rental expectations and so on... Its a bit of a loaded question.
Both have pros and cons.
(by loaded I mean open ended question as theres a lot of variables you need to weigh up)

Last edited:
totally agree

If you looked at Supply, Acacia Ridge has minimal new lots, North Lakes has loads.

Acacia Ridge has a big industrial area.

North Lakes has a Westfield and numerous other big name businesses going in there.

RPI sums it up well. Acacia ridge is well located - but very industrial, and likely to remain that way. It is rough. Low possibility of capital growth. Yield ok.

Like Acacia Ridge long term due to its proximity to city and large blocks. Yields good. Posted property seems clear of flood plain but maybe a tad overpriced.

Plenty of industrial ugly ducklings turn into swans over time.

A LOT of Industry

Acaia ridge is well located. BUT because there is so much industry there i can not see that changing - and resulting in substantial capital growth.

Which are better investment opty ?

Acacia Ridge

OR

North Lakes

For long term growth, North Lakes could be a winner, especially when the rail line goes through.

Don't know Acacia Ridge very well but if it is an industrial area then that may count against it long term despite it's better location.

Acacia Ridge floods very very badly. The traffic noise is terrible, the majority of it is industrial, and there's lots of abandoned properties after the floods. My guess is that prices will improve there a little bit... until it floods again in a couple of years, then they will nose dive again.

Acacia Ridge is cheap for a reason in my opinion. I would pay an extra $100k and buy in a better area. Or if you are lucky and diligent you might be able to buy cheaper than acacia ridge but in a better area. For example:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-salisbury-114476415

That sold this month in Salisbury in a very good position, for $300 000 at auction. That's about $50 000 less than land value, and the house is already looking good after the new owners have finished off the reno's. Solid house, and good size block for an extension.

Acacia Ridge floods very very badly. The traffic noise is terrible, the majority of it is industrial,

Tim, I cant find a single house in Acacia Ridge below the 10m contour so I doubt any flooded in 2011. In fact, much of the residential area in Acacia Ridge is some of the highest ground in Brisbane at 30m+ ASL with views of CBD buildings if on the northern side of the ridge.

The industrial area is west of Beatty Rd & east of Beaudesert Rd. The residential area is primarily between these two busy roads. If you are away from these & perhaps Mortimer & Watson Roads, then road noise wouldn't be an issue.

Acacia Ridge floods very very badly. The traffic noise is terrible, the majority of it is industrial, and there's lots of abandoned properties after the floods. My guess is that prices will improve there a little bit... until it floods again in a couple of years, then they will nose dive again.

Acacia Ridge is not a flood area.

Sounds as if you are thinking of Rocklea, which is not far from Acacia Ridge and a well-known flood area.
Marg

Acacia Ridge is not a flood area.

Sounds as if you are thinking of Rocklea, which is not far from Acacia Ridge and a well-known flood area.
Marg

Yeah I think you're right. I had a look at a map and it looks like I thought Acacia Ridge starts further down Beudesert Rd than it does.

Still has a lot of flooding according to the flood map though?

http://legacy.novafm.com.au/lib/images/contents/flooding_acacia_ridge_flood_flag_map.pdf?nova969

How did it go in the 2011 floods? I didn't get the chance to look back then because beudesert rd was closed because it was temporarily being utilized as a creek.

The area of flooding shown on the map link you gave is Oxley Creek. This is too far upstream to be affected by Brisbane River flooding, rather will flood with heavy rain in the locality. As shown on the map, it would affect very few properties, and of those flooding should only be minor.

Of course, there is no way of knowing what will happen in the future.

We were in Brisbane for the 1974 and 2011 floods, and the effects were very different in some areas. 1974 was actually two floods, a creek flood and then a few days later a river flood, whereas 2011was mainly a river flood.

All depends on exactly where in the catchment the rain falls, and how much.
Marg

Back