brisbane massive hail storm

We lost pretty much every window - about 20 - in an IP in the inner city that was supposed to settle last week (we're selling), but on which we'd agreed to delay settlement until next week.

As property is at buyer's risk from contract date, not settlement, in QLD, it's the buyer's problem to deal with. :)

I was driving home when I got a call from my brother. His son by chance called by an Annerley property to see if it needed mowing, and noticed smashed windows. I went straight there, and we have nine windows (four doubles and a single) with hail damage, arctic glass, some coloured.

When was the tenant going to let us know??? :confused:

I've taken photos, called our preferred glazier. Hubby will go over tomorrow and tape up the windows while we wait for glazier to get there.

Our excess is $1000 so we will likely just pay for this ourselves. Even if we had left the excess at $500 we probably would not bother claiming, depending on cost. We could probably buy the glass, cut it ourselves and DIY.

Each window has several small panes, so I've no idea really what it will cost. We will decide once we know whether we will bother claiming.

I'm more annoyed that it was by chance we learned of the damage.

I've been advised to check the iron roof. If there is bad hail damage then it could mean the roof dents will rust where it is creased, so we may claim after all, if we need roofing replaced.

I was driving home when I got a call from my brother. His son by chance called by an Annerley property to see if it needed mowing, and noticed smashed windows. I went straight there, and we have nine windows (four doubles and a single) with hail damage, arctic glass, some coloured.

When was the tenant going to let us know??? :confused:

I've taken photos, called our preferred glazier. Hubby will go over tomorrow and tape up the windows while we wait for glazier to get there.

Our excess is $1000 so we will likely just pay for this ourselves. Even if we had left the excess at $500 we probably would not bother claiming, depending on cost. We could probably buy the glass, cut it ourselves and DIY.

Each window has several small panes, so I've no idea really what it will cost. We will decide once we know whether we will bother claiming.

I'm more annoyed that it was by chance we learned of the damage.

I've been advised to check the iron roof. If there is bad hail damage then it could mean the roof dents will rust where it is creased, so we may claim after all, if we need roofing replaced.

$40 per m2 from 1st glass. Includes cuts in that price. So pretty cheap really. I think 30 panels of casement glass would cost me $170 or there abouts.

We lost pretty much every window - about 20 - in an IP in the inner city that was supposed to settle last week (we're selling), but on which we'd agreed to delay settlement until next week.

As property is at buyer's risk from contract date, not settlement, in QLD, it's the buyer's problem to deal with. :)

I've always been reluctant to purchase a property over the QLD state due to the info we've been hearing over in the west. Hopefully one day I will be able to secure one :)

I've always been reluctant to purchase a property over the QLD state due to the info we've been hearing over in the west. Hopefully one day I will be able to secure one :)

WA gets bushfires, floods and cyclones too, we don't keep all the bad weather to ourselves.

Holy **** that was a ridiculous storm. All my houses have smashed in windows and rain in everywhere. Cars dented all over. Bloody crazy.

Yes it was a shocker that storm,it hit in 2 stages the first one was just heavy rain,then a small slow down then came the sound onto the tin roof
massive hail then a 20mts tree in our ppor broke half way up and misses our house and next door and just goes down along the fence line,then all the box gutters jammed up with ice and the overflows inlets let the water out,no damage to windows,just gonna have a lot of firewood for next winter,,..
One ip has about 12 small casement window sections in 5 windows smashed but I have a $500.00 excess on that one so i'll just fix it myself,some poor buggers I saw yesterday the entire roof fibro walls all windows whole internal write-off,but at least it's not as bad as a flood..

http://www.woodworkers.com.au/

Last edited:
$40 per m2 from 1st glass. Includes cuts in that price. So pretty cheap really. I think 30 panels of casement glass would cost me $170 or there abouts.

Thanks Tim. I know we can do it... but we don't want to do it :D.

I'll see what the glazier quotes and take it from there.

My initial suggestion to my brother (who co-owns this house) was to board it up while we get a deck built and swap to french doors. He found an excuse not to do this. I'm feeling a bit stifled.

How does the insurance process even work? Do they replace the items, or do they just give you cash to go spend yourself?

normally they try to send in their repairers/replace items but if there are lots of claims they can just give cash for you to find your own repairer.

We had this in Perth in 2010 and apparently Melbourne had copped it just prior

Hail Storm in PERTH thread

redwing said:
Here's a couple of photos located on one of the local sites

Insurance catastrophe declared after storm

attachment.php
attachment.php

5 broken windows in Annerley - sounds like I got off lightly compared to some people here.

Thanks for the advice - I wasn't planning on putting this through insurance either, but if theres damage to the roof I may end up doing it.

So apparently westpac home insurance is awesome.

Had the assessor out today. I was stressing out that they would try and get out of paying for some things, but the guy was really helpful and really reasonable.

Just got to get some quotes for a couple things. My nice new kitchen has a lot of damage from the water splitting paint and some wood (and glass shards scratched things up), and my solar hot water system controller got fried and a couple of tubes got smashed. Everything else is easy to find the prices for online so doesn't need quotes for that. My poor neato robotic vaccum got killed by the storm too :(

They'll send out someone to fix the windows... and repaint them! :)

He even spotted a couple of things I didn't notice, like the dinted up whirly birds, and he's going to replace them too.

Probably almost $5000 worth of damage all up to the house, so worth the claim.

Back