Brisbane - Primary & High School style of writing

Can Brissie people with school-aged kids please inform me what style of printing the kids are taught at school.

In WA, kids are commonly taught Victorian Modern Cursive which is nick-named curly bits similar to the "t" of this font.

Thanks

My kids learned to print (lower case) and then in later grades the lower case printing is linked between some letters, but not others.

Not sure what it is called, but nothing like the running writing I learned in Brissie. My kids reckon they cannot read my writing.

i'll be teaching my kids that if they fail "handwriting" then i'm cool with it - as long as it is neat and legible then they should be able to develop their own style.

how many adults still write like this? what a waste of curriculum dollars.

Isnt it stupid that we still can't agree on something so simple as a uniform hand writing.

I suggest Illegible Modern Australian Scrawl (which I use).

I learnt modern cursive script in Victoria (finished PS in 1986) but we also learnt copperplate. It was nice to learn, and I can still write it.

Thanks Merlin - that site sums it up well.

So far my daugter has learnt Vic mod cursive, changed schools and had to learn NSW Foundation Regular (even though it's WA they're allowed to teach a variation of Vic mod cursive- which is a loop-hole to teach anything)
and if we move state she'll have to learn Qld mod Cursive.
I wonder if curriculum is different also??

I wonder if curriculum is different also??

Currently, yes.

Education is a state-based government department, so each state does their own thing. They're probably all about 99% the same, but there's also a million and one tiny differences, and that's what makes it harder for the kids to transition.

There is currently a push to unify the curriculum nation-wide, however I personally think it has little chance of success unless education suddenly becomes a federal-level government function, since getting 8 different state governments to agree on anything is nigh-on impossible!!

From memory, Qld and NSW don't line up as far as the school years go (but maybe that has changed with our newly introduced prep year).

We had friends who moved to NSW and the kids were okay, but I seem to remember the problem would occur if they moved back to Queensland. The kids would be "skipping" a year, or something like that. What I am clumsily trying to say is that moving to NSW meant the work they would do was work they may already have done in Queensland. Moving back meant that they might "miss" a year's work because the curriculum's didn't "line up".

That is what this family was worried about, anyway. Don't know if it is right or not.

I remember cursive changing while I was still at school (I'm a cusp BB like wylie).

Students just below me were taught to write b's and f's differently and over time I went with the newer variations. As I've got older I've change those letters yet again and have dropped some of the linking.

My son was taught the linked script, but as wylie said some letters do not join.

I remember reading somewhere that it is more efficient and faster to write when not joining some letters, and many of those that write alot in their jobs eventually drop the linking of some letters.

Like someone here just said, so long as we can read the writing it doesn't really matter.

Currently, yes.

Education is a state-based government department, so each state does their own thing. They're probably all about 99% the same, but there's also a million and one tiny differences, and that's what makes it harder for the kids to transition.

There is currently a push to unify the curriculum nation-wide, however I personally think it has little chance of success unless education suddenly becomes a federal-level government function, since getting 8 different state governments to agree on anything is nigh-on impossible!!

From memory, Qld and NSW don't line up as far as the school years go (but maybe that has changed with our newly introduced prep year).

We had friends who moved to NSW and the kids were okay, but I seem to remember the problem would occur if they moved back to Queensland. The kids would be "skipping" a year, or something like that. What I am clumsily trying to say is that moving to NSW meant the work they would do was work they may already have done in Queensland. Moving back meant that they might "miss" a year's work because the curriculum's didn't "line up".

That is what this family was worried about, anyway. Don't know if it is right or not.

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. It could get messy going back and forth. I'm tempted to travel around Aus for 6 months instead and home-school. Itchy feet!!

The attached is how I was taught in WA in the 1980s.

Lots of joining and lots of loops. The b is not closed in. But at least a properly formed r - not the old type that looks like an 'n'.

Even messier than usual due to the mouse.

Peter

Attachments

• cursive writing.GIF
    cursive writing.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 48
Back