Broken ankle

At 38 years old, I thought I would relive some of my youth and make a comeback playing A grade Rugby League (after a 10 year absence). I almost made it through the season with only one injury - a partially torn hamstring.

It was the last game of the year and we were playing the competition's top side. We kicked off and their front rower ran at me for the first tackle of the match. I tackled him but his body landed on my ankle and broke it in three places (tibia & fibula). I got my first ride in an ambulance (as a patient) and had 5 screws put in the ankle.

I am now out of the moon boot and am making good progress with the physio. I am back at work and the swelling is slowly subsiding.

My wife wants me to retire from football but I think I have more season left? Will see how I am feeling in January...

OUCH!!!!!....

Hope you get better soon.

Maybe best to leave your Rugby days on the sideline :D

Does income protection cover you if you are off work because of a sports injury? or do they class sports as a "risky activity" :D

Do your exercises

All the best with your recovery yo yo.

Don't rush anything, no matter what you decide with playing on or not, and follow the physio's program for you.

If I can throw in my 0.02, ensure you do PLENTY of the "rocker/wobble board" exercises to enhance the proprioception (joint position sense) of both ankes/feet.

Without this recovery you will have difficulty with rapid direction change in everyday activities, let alone returning to sport. This can lead to rolling over on the ankle and repeated sprains. Unless of course you've had the ankle ankylosed (joint fused) with screws thru the joint and not just stabilising the broken bone bits. In that case, it's still a good idea to do work with the other foot also.

Again good luck with your recovery. :)

Does income protection cover you if you are off work because of a sports injury? or do they class sports as a "risky activity"
I was lucky enough to be paid 8 weeks sick leave at full pay (with all allowances)... The football club also had insurance which paid me $500 week plus covers 80% my out of pocket medical expenses. On paper, I am better off with the injury:D

If I can throw in my 0.02, ensure you do PLENTY of the "rocker/wobble board" exercises to enhance the proprioception (joint position sense) of both ankes/feet.
Thanks for the advice... appreciated. I have been told the physio will advance me to the wobble board but I am not ready for it just yet.

I made sure I did plenty of leg exercises while I was immobile to prevent DVT.

Ouch Steve, that had to hurt! I hope you were happy with your treatment being on the receiving end of all the medical attention for once? :)

All the best for a speedy recovery!

Ouch. Good luck with a full recovery. Could always take up mountain biking or adventure racing :D (seriously though - hubby made the switch after several injuries).

Good luck getting back to full steam ahead as quick as possible

Do you think age has anything to do with it Steve?

Did you drink plenty of milk when you were young? ;)

I wonder at what age your bones start to become more brittle?

Ouch Steve, that had to hurt! I hope you were happy with your treatment being on the receiving end of all the medical attention for once? :)

All the best for a speedy recovery!
Thanks Steveo... I was weird being a patient in the ED that I usually work in. I knew the ambo's who picked me up too & but it was the first time in one as a patient.

I have seen the tackle on video too... not much in it... just got my leg caught in the wrong position.

Do you think age has anything to do with it Steve?

Did you drink plenty of milk when you were young? ;)

I wonder at what age your bones start to become more brittle?
I actually don't think it had anything to do with age... this is the only major bone I have broken... just had my leg in the wrong position.

I drink enough dairy products mixed with VB/Corona depending on how I am feeling:D

Could always take up mountain biking or adventure racing :D (seriously though - hubby made the switch after several injuries).
Good points Mooze - I have been doing refereeing for 10 years but missed playing too much. I will see how it goes next year before making a decision whether to play again or go back to refereeing.

Nothing to do with age!! It was an accident that could have happened to anyone younger. keep going.. you played the whole season didn't you?

Back