Broken Window

Hi all,

Just want to know who would have to pay for a broken window in an investment property? Is this part of the building insurance of the landlord or does the tenant have to pay for it?

Thanks

Hi..
Windows form part of "Buildings".
As such, owners responsibility to pay, or preferably to claim under their Landlords insurance. Commercial leases etc often have glass written in as tenant's responsibiliity, not aware of this ever happening in a residential situation though.
Can perhaps try and claim your excess back from the tenants.

Its a property in Qld. It is a house not an apt. The tenant says that some kids threw rocks at the house and broke it before he chase them away.

Does the landlord have to pay for this either out of pocket or through insurance? Can we get this back from the bond or charge the tenant for repairs?

Hi Aikido.

Get the PM to get a quote, if it is not too expensive, it may not be worth going through insurance due to the excess you have to pay as well as possibly affecting your premium come renewal time.

Whether we like it or not, these type of expenses have to be expected when holding I/P's.

Regards
Marty

My understanding: technically if the tenant broke it - they repair it. In this case it was not the tenants' fault (well that is what is claimed anyway), so another cost for the landlord....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I had to change the glass on a small window a few weeks ago & as it was only around $70 I just paid for it, PM had arranged for it all to be done... Tenant claimed that the tree rubbed against it during a recent storm... $70 wasn't enough to justify claiming through the insurance... I did however remove the tree branch just in case :)

I suppose, if the expense was in the $100's you may be worth claiming through insurance...

Cheers,

Manny.

Back