Brokers that refund trail commission

Yes but surely the .15% trail is loaded onto the interest rate. At the end of the day the borrower pays not the banks.

Sigh.

The trail isn't coming out of your repayment, as the repayment figure is the same whether broker or branch originated.

The idea behind a trailing commission is that the client has the ongoing relationship with the broker, not the bank. Post settlement support is heavily time consuming and costly, minor top-ups, switching, rate reductions are a cost exercise, hence the need for trails, otherwise any loan written would become an ongoing liability, or a zero support structure.

The commission payments are compensation for the value provided to the lender, in that their client find, loan processing and data entry is completed by a broker, reducing their staffing requirements. Why do you think banks SHOULDN'T pay for receiving this financial benefit?

In the end this is a market economy, if there is a market for the product, it will be provided. There are providers out there who provide similar options, feel free to take them instead of using the services of brokers who gain their businesses through their extensive structuring knowledge and advice, not paying you $14.26 per month.

Hi CJay, what distinction do you draw between trail on loans and trail on Managed Funds?

If you dont want to pay trails or upfronts, do the training and become a broker yourself. I hear its easy, just a mobile phone and a lease on a merc/bmw, and a gmail account.

I see what you are saying about opportunity cost. If instead of paying an upfront of $3K to a mb or bank I invested $3K. Assuming a 8% return or a 5% real return (removing 3% for inflation so a gross return of 5% pa) I would have the equivilant of $4886 in ten years time; a real return of $1886. So by paying the brokerage I am losing the opportunity to earn $1886.

However, this needs to be compared to the cost of paying the trail to the mb or bank. Based on a loan of $500000, trail of 1.5% over ten years the cost of this is $750 pa or $7500 over ten years. I would still rather pay the brokerage especially since there'll multiple loans in place.

Open your mind man and go make some real money. I can **** that amount in one night and you're focusing on a 5% return on $3k over 10 years? :eek:

Yes but surely the .15% trail is loaded onto the interest rate.
No. It's not.

The opposite can often be the case. I know I've arranged lower rates for clients than they've been able to arrange with their banks when going direct.

CJ's previous post explains the concept of the broker distribution model and why banks pay a trail commission to brokers. It's not built into the borrowers loan repayments - and any borrower that's used a broker knows that.

Cheers

Jamie

My broker did this.
I'm on a 1.05% discount with major bank, their staff rate is less than that, they match, genuine under the counter offers in writing and discount from time to time under there staff rate,usually bom the last few year

Brokers provide a fantastic service to clients, if your interested in saving cash go to u bank or one of those pi$$y lenders don't complain though when your tax is fu xxxed and you can't borrow anymore or your settlement delayed, ring the answering machine service.

Also, i bought land from a liquidator, unconditional 14 day settlement, gave it to my broker, he made this bank settle in 10 days from the day I signed contracts. How good is that, on the above discount. Do u get that with u bank, or going to the bank yourself.i think not. Paying whatever trail from a 1.05% discount is nothing to me! for that service

Horses for courses, every loan I do going fwd will be through my broker, simple as that.

That's my experience with my broker, he's not a poster on this forum, but I'm sure the gents who post are just as good and motivated,thats what it comes down to,motivation and love of the job, if these gents didn't like what they did, they wouldn't be here after hours and weekends posting.

Rant over

At the end of the day any cost associated with a loan is built in to the rate. Brochures, bank staff, bank toilet paper, etc.

But going direct to a bank is not going to result in a lower interest than compared to a broker. Brokers can often get you greater savings and structure your loans better.

Any broker that refunds commissions is not worth using in my opinion.

I have over AU$1m in loans so my broker must be getting a decent trail but I don't like him anymore so if I refinance will he lose his trailings?

My broker did this.
I'm on a 1.05% discount with major bank, their staff rate is less than that, they match, genuine under the counter offers in writing and discount from time to time under there staff rate,usually bom the last few year

Brokers provide a fantastic service to clients, if your interested in saving cash go to u bank or one of those pi$$y lenders don't complain though when your tax is fu xxxed and you can't borrow anymore or your settlement delayed, ring the answering machine service.

Also, i bought land from a liquidator, unconditional 14 day settlement, gave it to my broker, he made this bank settle in 10 days from the day I signed contracts. How good is that, on the above discount. Do u get that with u bank, or going to the bank yourself.i think not. Paying whatever trail from a 1.05% discount is nothing to me! for that service

Horses for courses, every loan I do going fwd will be through my broker, simple as that.

That's my experience with my broker, he's not a poster on this forum, but I'm sure the gents who post are just as good and motivated,thats what it comes down to,motivation and love of the job, if these gents didn't like what they did, they wouldn't be here after hours and weekends posting.

Rant over

Sounds like you have had bad experience with banker before, dowdy surprise me. Tree would be just as many who have had complaints with brokers. You're very quick to say brokers yes and bankers no, I keep saying it on this forum it has nothing to do with who thy are paid from if they're a broker or banker, you need someone who you can trust to get you the finance and set the loan up correctly.

You sound like you have done that with the current broker you're using which is excellent.

As for the time frame not happening with a banker, I don't believe that a broker can't get any loans quicker through my employer then I can. Yes I understand that a broker can offer different banks with different policies.

I have over AU$1m in loans so my broker must be getting a decent trail but I don't like him anymore so if I refinance will he lose his trailings?

Trail on that is about 2K i think?
The banks do something called a claw back, which means they stop his trail and also ask for previously paid trail back, if you refinance elsewhere within a certain period of time.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this is pretty much the one and only thread on here where no one has fallen over themselves to recommend to the OP to seek the services of any of the many excellent mortgage brokers on here?

OP - you can interpret how you wish...

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this is pretty much the one and only thread on here where no one has fallen over themselves to recommend to the OP to seek the services of any of the many excellent mortgage brokers on here?

OP - you can interpret how you wish...

:D:D:D spot on

I guarantee, you have no idea on what you are on about

Why is that? You seem to acknowledge at post 36 that it happens as Aaron also acknowledged.

It is a ludicrous contention that if we were to see a listing of the banks loan book in order of interest rate discount, that there would be no direct bank client ahead of a broker client. As I said, I can guarantee you it isn't the case.

I'm not saying that brokers don't provide a good service. Of course they do. And in many cases they will negotiate a better rate than a punter going it alone. But the comment was made that you can not do better in terms of rate than by going with a broker. It is just plain wrong and misleading.

No, you guaranteed that all of the time you would secure a better rate if you went through the branch network.

That statement is not true

No, you guaranteed that all of the time you would secure a better rate if you went through the branch network.

That statement is not true

Sorry, you have misunderstood. But I can see how you may have concluded that. I should have said "regularly" or "often".

The categoric statement was made that it couldn't be done, which isn't true. It happens all the time - meaning often/regularly - not every time.

Do you disagree with that statement.

Do not disagree with that.

However if a branch ever undercuts a loan that we have already secured pricing on, and there is "proof" of the rate being offered, a quick call to the BDM will have the rate matched instantly.

As harsh as this may sound, the banks will always prefer to keep a broker onside, may come to a shock to some, but we are valued a lot more highly than a customer with one or two million in lending.

The last section of this post is a direct dig at the OP

Back