Bubble fears dismissed

cropped for copyright reasons
full article here
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Finance/2010/10/29/Bubble_fears_dismissed_532276.html

Bubble fears dismissed

Economists have shrugged off fears of a housing bubble and point to rent increases as a key driver of property growth over the next 18 months.

[cropped]

'Until you see decent wage growth, it's going to be very difficult for first home buyers entering this property market, given the property prices that we've seen,' CommSec economist Savanth Sebastian told AAP.

Mr Sebastian said home buyers were likely to delay the purchase of their first home until wages growth improved.

He expects five to eight per cent residential property growth in 2010 and around the same growth in 2011.

'Over the next 12 months we still believe that property will be a good investment because of strong population growth, job security and we're expecting trend or above trend growth for the Australian economy and wage growth will certainly factor into the mix over the coming 12 months,' Mr Sebastian said.

He said the nation was now seeing a consolidation in property prices which would continue into 2011.

'I think what will drive the market higher is going to be rental yields, with rents forecast to rise quite sharply.'

Commsec says the proportion of first home buyers entering the residential property market has almost halved from its high of 28.5 per cent in May 2009 to reach a six-year low of 15.3 per cent in August this year.

It comes as Australian city home prices were virtually unchanged in September this year while city dwelling values fell 0.4 per cent in the quarter, according to the RP Data Rismark Hedonic home value index, released on Friday.

[cropped Grantham waffle]

Westpac has rebuked predictions of a housing bubble, saying Australian house prices were being sustained by supply shortages not 'speculative excess'.

While housing may be relatively expensive, affordability was 'not as stretched' as some estimates suggest, the bank said in a statement.

'Affordability measures that take into account all dwelling types, after-tax income and financing costs show prices have broadly tracked income growth since 2003,' Westpac economists said.

Typical mortgage repayments were above long run averages as a proportion of income, but still well below the peaks seen in the late 1980s and in 2007-08.

Westpac says a bubble would have been 'very unlikely' to have survived the stress test of 2008 during the financial crisis.

Westpac chief economist Bill Evans said pricing and affordability reflected imbalances which emerged over the past decade as new building failed to keep pace with strong increases in demand.

'Australia's population growth has nearly doubled, yet we're building more or less the same number of new dwellings each year,' Mr Evans said.

'The shortage is acute and is likely to worsen.'

i still don't think we're clear of any danger, but while most of it is behind us i think IF ANYTHING this will have a negative effect on IRs, being rent increases affecting inflation etc etc.

but as mentioned, i'd rather rent increases matching my IR outgoings with a does of CG chucked in, than just rent increases coming outta my pocket.

For now only, when the commodity cycle reverses and labour costs and infrastructure costs do not fall correspondly (due to red-neck, populist, closed-economy policies by Labor and Liberal), the only solution is to close mines down and put people out of jobs at the mines, which feeds onto back office, ports, retail servicng them, head office co, retail in major cities etc. It'll be fun when it happens.

Then we'll see the unwinding of asset prices, since unemployment skyrockets to 10% and you can't really afford $500 per week interest payments when you don't have a job you see? Nearly every sensible person in the industry sees it around the corner - albeit this is probably a 7-8 year corner we're turning. Lucky the populace who elect these people don't see it (which is why they're sub $100k salary I guess lol), so I guess the answer is to sell out at the top to them as we approach the end of this corner.

Pity the source ie banks have such a vested interest.

Delta I think you far to downcast on things mate - projects coming on line will keep the economy afloat at for at least the next 6 or so years and after that no ones crystal ball can say where we'll be.

Pity the source ie banks have such a vested interest.

actually according to an article in the eureka report yesterday, maybe you should thak your lucky starts the banks have such a vested interest.
With the amount of loans on their books, they definately do not want residential property plumitting.

Then we'll see the unwinding of asset prices, since unemployment skyrockets to 10% and you can't really afford $500 per week interest payments when you don't have a job you see? Nearly every sensible person in the industry sees it around the corner - albeit this is probably a 7-8 year corner we're turning. Lucky the populace who elect these people don't see it (which is why they're sub $100k salary I guess lol), so I guess the answer is to sell out at the top to them as we approach the end of this corner.
LOL, I'm a little wary about taking this seriously, am I sensing sarcasm here?

Which sensible people are you talking about and how many of them predicted the first GFC?

LOL, I'm a little wary about taking this seriously, am I sensing sarcasm here?

Which sensible people are you talking about and how many of them predicted the first GFC?

glad to see that you posted first hobo-jo.
I read with interest the first part of the post about the miners. What happened to marginal cost of extraction being less than marginal revenue (even if marginal revenue falls from historical highs).
Not much insight into how mines operate (and this comming from me, the bottom quartile of investors knowledge when it comes to resources:D)

projects coming on line will keep the economy afloat at for at least the next 6 or so years and after that no ones crystal ball can say where we'll be.
You don't need a crystal ball to work out price increases due to inflation.
In 6 years time wages will be up by 25-30% and with that property prices up by at least 20%?

You don't need a crystal ball to work out price increases due to inflation.
In 6 years time wages will be up by 25-30% and with that property prices up by at least 20%?

i actually got my calculator out to check your prediction with wage rises. It was pretty spot on for my job lol (Govt sector, new EBA wage growth 4%, 3.5,3.5,3.5 then new negotiation prob another 2x 3.5's).

BV is the truth

Hmm in response to a few questions.

Yes some of these sensible people did predict the GFC - just paper I happened to come across. Many sold out at the peak of the equity markets.

Anyway I think you're right, no one has a crystal ball. Maybe it's not 7-8 yeras, could be 12-13, who knows? The picture will only get clearer on timing as we get closer to that point.

But some major catalysts include, for example, China moving onto the second phase of growth and focusing less on infrastructure hence relying far less on strong iron ore production (since they have enough of this anyway to fuel the rest of the cities that haven't come up yet). The second phase will be finance and services driven. At some point commodity prices will reverse, but as said, costs will not reverse fast enough causing unprofitable mines to shut down.

Didn't we see this happen briefly with some local mines at the height of the GFC, with places like Zinifex's Century Project heading towards unprofitable territory when zinc prices tumbled in the LSE? I don't have too much insight into the technicals of mining - my experience just comes with doing capital raisings and M&A work for mine owners in this country and some in China, for example. Just things I've been hearing thrown around by people that's all. I actually don't really have a strong conviction one way or another, but just something to look out for.

In other news, interesting to read my industry is booming mad on pgs 46-47 AFR today. Wonder if I should exit more AUD to be honest...

Anyway I think you're right, no one has a crystal ball. Maybe it's not 7-8 yeras, could be 12-13, who knows? The picture will only get clearer on timing as we get closer to that point.

absolutely, but 12-13 years is a long time to be sitting on the sidelines.

if i've learned ANYTHING in my short time on this rock is that panic bull runs happen when things are overbought.

applies across all asset classes.

Oh absolutely. Though at this stage, given my net worth, I feel I've financially exposed myself sufficiently to Australia and would love more leverage into China. Obviously speaking Mandarin / Cantonese helps me navigate a bit better relative to others...

Hard to admit you are wrong Delta?

Lucky your net worth and your 'Industry' still make you a WINNER (funny that)....despite screaming about selling all your housing assets due to the crash that is about to happen...(see all posts over the last 2 months)

So much credibility so little time. Ho hum...

Perhaps if you shared my experience in terms of language, income and net worth at the same time in life, you'd understand my dilemma. So little time, yet so many choices...

Not sure what's so funny about my industry :) It's a mobile workforce so if something happens here - off to HK / Shanghai I go. If London recovers and tanks here, off to London I go. Not that I plan to be part of the workforce for too long anyway

Back