Build Costs for a 4 Unit construction - Regional VIC

Hiya All,

I have embarked on a little Build project in Regional VIC.

The land size is 650 sqm and flat. Frontage is 16 mtrs by 42.4 mtrs length. Thinking of squeezing in 4 three bedroom Units if possible. If the area is too small the other option would be 4 two bedroom Units. I have spoken to the Town planner and he mentioned there is no problem as there are no 'minimum' area requirements.

The plan is is to build these 4 Units in an "Angled layout" to the road so that a car coming to the back unit does not need to be an expert parking cookie.
Also the construction type would be a Single storey "Row" layout where the walls are common in between. Note this is a mid level socio-economic area where a two storey is a 'over-capitalisation'.

Have attached a diagram below. I have prepared this (amateurish) sketch and it is not to scale.

Would like to hear your opinions (especially from people who have ventured into Constructions themselves, however big or small) on the following:
1) Construction Costs
2) Build timeframes
3) Issues expected
4) Possiblities
5) Is it too ambitious to get 4 units squeezed in 650 sqm (single storey)
6) Layout/Design etc

Your opinions are welcome!

The plan is is to build these 4 Units in an "Angled layout" to the road so that a car coming to the back unit does not need to be an expert parking cookie.
Does the plan allow for turning of the cars as I think you'll find they have to exit the property in a forward direction?

Hi Chief,

I have no idea about development, but if the units are to scale, can't you fit 6 units on it (i.e. 4 like you have it and 1 on each side of the grassy area on the left with a driveway in the middle and between the left apartments and right apartments?)

i.e: (lines are the driveway) - and garages are on the edges of the driveway in between the drive way and apartments 1 and 2

apt 1 ______ - apt 3
GARAGES ___ - apt 4
__DRVWAY_
GARAGES ____ - apt 5
apt 2 _______ - apt 6

Last edited:
I think the layout is wrong. As battler has said under numerous planning laws you need to be able to give a full turning circle to cars so that they can enter, and exit the property in a forward direction. I don't think your current plans allow that.

1) building costs, for a low-social economic area I think you can build it quite cheaply. I was given a quote by a builder to construct smallish unit dwellings in Carrum Downs (Vic) for around $600 per sqm.

2) timeframes - depends on how many objections you get. I can't imagine it taking longer than 3-6 months for a town planning application but your TP should know. As for construction time - for a small project like this it might take ~6 months.

3) Issues expected - probably objections. But since you are not building high at all you probably won't get much objections like shadowing etc. Maybe you might get complaints about noise but that's normal.

4) How big are the units going to be? Just remember under ResCode the building envelope should not be more than 60% of the land area of each lot. This doesn't include common easements/driveways which you would definitely need to give access to each unit.

Hi Chief,

I have no idea about development, but if the units are to scale, can't you fit 6 units on it (i.e. 4 like you have it and 1 on each side of the grassy area on the left with a driveway in the middle and between the left apartments and right apartments?)

I wish I could fit 6 there but no chance JWR. 6 Units is impossible. :)
Even 4 Units is a very very tight fit in a sub 700 sqm block. I am having to scale back the number of bedrooms in this building just to satisfy the Townplanner/Architect. They are happy to do a single bedroom 4 Units. But getting two bedrooms 4 units is a hard-sell. And a three bedroom 4 Unit block is impossible.

Last edited:
1) building costs, for a low-social economic area I think you can build it quite cheaply. I was given a quote by a builder to construct smallish unit dwellings in Carrum Downs (Vic) for around $600 per sqm.

Hiya Aaron,

Thanks for your inputs.

Appreciate if you could elaborate on the $ 600 per sqm construction costs. Like what are the inclusions and is a concrete driveway part of the costs.
In a 680 sqm land area, suppose the built-up area is 400 sqm then the Builders costs works out to $240,000 (400X600).

But analysing these numbers, and being able to build four units at this price (i.e. @60,000 a piece) is rather too cheap imho.

Hiya Aaron,

Thanks for your inputs.

Appreciate if you could elaborate on the $ 600 per sqm construction costs. Like what are the inclusions and is a concrete driveway part of the costs.
In a 680 sqm land area, suppose the built-up area is 400 sqm then the Builders costs works out to $240,000 (400X600).

But analysing these numbers, and being able to build four units at this price (i.e. @60,000 a piece) is rather too cheap imho.

Well the project was for around 40 dwellings so there would have been some scale there. I don't think it included capital works such as sewerage or roads. If you want I can PM you the builder's details and you can ask him about it if you want.

Drifting off topic, the differences in councils never cease to amaze me.

Our block (its subdivided off already) is a minimum size for this council and is 15x43m. Most we could get on it is one house, and it feels like the yard is too small ...

Get hold of your council development plan, there should be heaps of info on setbacks, minimum areas per bedroom, allowance for car parking spaces etc etc in there ... although with the reference to town planner it looks like you're already doing that :)

Damn I'd love to build myself a block of units or even an attached duplex. Every time I see a 4000sqm block of land go up for sale with one ... yes, ONE house on it and they've fenced off 3000sqm of the block and put a sheep on it so they don't have to do anything with it it annoys me. Friends of ours have a block on THAT street with the massive blocks and they've subdivided it into a sort of cartwheel shape subdivision with an access road in the center so its nice to see someone else thinking the same way lol

hi mate,

cant help too much with specifics because each job is different but here are some rules of thumb i use for unit developments:

1. Total developable area would be between 75-80% of land size. So on your 650sqm block expect common areas to take up 130-160sqm.

2. As above build coverage is 60% of site size. on 650 you take off 140 for common areas = 510sqm left. over 4 units thats an average of 127sqm. means you can build on 77sqm of that.

3. Typical build sizes are total 9-12sq for a 2 bed and 11-14sq for a 3 bed. These are small unit builds.

So looking at your build size of 77sqm this is about 8.3sq which would be a small 2 bedroom unit - rather than a 3 bedroom. If you do some quick maths you can see how it adds up:

Bedrooms: 3.2 x 3.4 = 10.88 * 3 = 32.64sqm
Garage: 3.5 x 6 = 21sqm
Bathroom: 2.4 x 3.2 = 7.68sqm
European Laundry: 0.8 * 1.6 = 1.28sqm

Subtotal: 62.6sqm

That only leaves about 15sqm for kitchen, living area, dining, hallways, portico, and anything else.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Bedrooms: 3.2 x 3.4 = 10.88 * 3 = 32.64sqm
Garage: 3.5 x 6 = 21sqm
Bathroom: 2.4 x 3.2 = 7.68sqm
European Laundry: 0.8 * 1.6 = 1.28sqm

Subtotal: 62.6sqm

That only leaves about 15sqm for kitchen, living area, dining, hallways, portico, and anything else. Hope this helps.

Ben

Invaluable Post Belu,
Thanks for the measurement specifications mate...

Given that the Units are going to come up in a Lower-Medium economic area, but not DoH area, what kind of a Build cost would you envisage for the construction including Fixtures?
And additionally the Drive-way component...

totally depends on the area and who builds them and whats included.

Again, purely rules of thumb i run off for evaluating developments, $20k for site works (or $15k if block is sloping the right way and no need for a sewer pump) and about $1k/sqm inc GST for an alright fit-out or probably $900 including GST for a low cost fitout.

If you can DIY certain things like putting in kitchens or tiling you can save a packet-load

Like getting the outer Shell including brickwork sub-contracted to a Builder (lock-up stage) and then do the Handyman stuff yourself, like installing a Bunnings type Kitchens, Bathrooms, Carpets, wet area Tiling, Electrical Fittings etc?

Like getting the outer Shell including brickwork sub-contracted to a Builder (lock-up stage) and then do the Handyman stuff yourself, like installing a Bunnings type Kitchens, Bathrooms, Carpets, wet area Tiling, Electrical Fittings etc?

Yeah pretty much. Anything strucural you need a licensed builder to guarantee the works etc in case the roof collapses. But anything non-structural like tilings, kitchens etc you can DIY to save money as builders always add a margin to any works they do for you.

i think you will find anything over about $12k will need a licensed builder - no matter what type of work it is?

Back