builder broker

I am looking at using a builder broker called Building Price Protection with the CEO being Peter Downes.

Has any one had previous dealings with this company or heard anything about weather they are good or bad.

I would be interested to know if anyone has built a property through one of there builders and how the experience was when working with Building Price Protection and there recommended builder.

thanks

I am looking at using a builder broker called Building Price Protection with the CEO being Peter Downes.

Has any one had previous dealings with this company or heard anything about weather they are good or bad.

I would be interested to know if anyone has built a property through one of there builders and how the experience was when working with Building Price Protection and there recommended builder.

thanks

I looked at this in Perth for my 3 unit development site but bailed.

I am still trying to get my head around how they work, my concern is that they source the build for the best price/quality, however I can see this is flawed. I could not be sure this would be the case, concerns about kickbacks and no transparency when it comes to their fees. This is my personal experience. They hold all the power.

What I did was employ a draftsperson to design the units and then I shopped it myself and did my own homework with regards to builders specifications and viewed the builds myself to ensure I was happy with this.

Cheers
MTR

yes, this is what im finding,

I have asked to come in and see them but they said they are too busy, so I asked to talk to some references but they said that they did not have the time to call anyone to see if I could contact them. alarm bells are ringing.

I have already got quotes for my build but they are higher than I expected so I was hoping to use a broker to see if they could get a lower price.

yes, this is what im finding,

I have asked to come in and see them but they said they are too busy, so I asked to talk to some references but they said that they did not have the time to call anyone to see if I could contact them. alarm bells are ringing.

I have already got quotes for my build but they are higher than I expected so I was hoping to use a broker to see if they could get a lower price.

Get more quotes, and compare apples with apples. If a quote comes in higher/lower why?? Look at all the specifications listed by the builder.

Now their comments sound sooooo good. .. but what happens after handover of the keys? Who is left fighting the building company for defects rectification?

Make your life a shade simpler, engage a fully licensed construction project manager to undertake the tasks that you require ie: tendering, tender analysis, recommendation of builder, stage & adhoc inspections, contract administration & progress payments.

What is building price protection? Does it cover latent conditions? Who stumps up with the cash if there's an overrun?

Do yourself a favour aka Molly Meldrum, complete the short owner building course through TAFE/Archicentre etc for your own benefit.

Reactions: oc1
Make your life a shade simpler, engage a fully licensed construction project manager to undertake the tasks that you require ie: tendering, tender analysis, recommendation of builder, stage & adhoc inspections, contract administration & progress payments.

Fully agree. And make you sure pay for this service; this is very time consuming and not done for "free" no matter what anyone says.

Hi MTR - we only get paid a "legal approved" success fee from the builder you approve that we approach and negotiate using our volume buying power to obtain a price better then any you can obtain. If you get a better price then we do not get paid. Very simple.

I am still trying to get my head around how they work, my concern is that they source the build for the best price/quality, however I can see this is flawed. I could not be sure this would be the case, concerns about kickbacks and no transparency when it comes to their fees. This is my personal experience. They hold all the power.

What I did was employ a draftsperson to design the units and then I shopped it myself and did my own homework with regards to builders specifications and viewed the builds myself to ensure I was happy with this.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by a moderator:
Now their comments sound sooooo good. .. but what happens after handover of the keys? Who is left fighting the building company for defects rectification?

What is building price protection? Does it cover latent conditions? Who stumps up with the cash if there's an overrun?

Do yourself a favour aka Molly Meldrum, complete the short owner building course through TAFE/Archicentre etc for your own benefit.
Hi to "Scott No Mates" - we agree that you can get any one to obtain all your building quotes and complete all the design works and tenders. All we ask is when you have your best price we will use our volume buying power and obtain a better price. 100% guaranteed from any builder you approve. Being an assumed building industry expert that can avoid all the traps and pitfalls is one thing however having monthly volume Nationwide negotiation power to get great building prices for consumers and investors is where we excel.

Cheers
MTR

totally agree. I also looked into builder brokers.

how can it be in your interest if they get a cut of the building cost. That is the more you pay, the more they get.
no transparency on what percentage each builder is paying either and you may not even see the actual quotes just a summary comparison.
then there is the fact you never own the design you paid for, so very difficult to walk away.

Hi to "Scott No Mates" - we agree that you can get any one to obtain all your building quotes and complete all the design works and tenders. All we ask is when you have your best price we will use our volume buying power and obtain a better price.

snipped the rest

Could you explain and support the 'volume buying power' part? I'm keeping an open mind
Thanks

Hi GlennG thanks for your question regarding the "volume buying power" of Building Price Protection.

Before answering your question we would like to make comment re posts on this forum. We would like to make it crystal clear that we are not a Building Broker like posts above say we are. People that post should really do their due diligence before passing comments on a company as other consumers looking at building read and then go buying on their own only to end up paying more then what they should have as a result of a posters inaccurate post. Assume any poster that does post wants to help consumers to get the best result. "FOUR" posters above have done between them 9932 posts and not "ONE" has used our service and most make inaccurate assumptions. It has been interesting after we "deep searched" the activity and posts of 3 the posters.

MTR - 4372 POSTS - 3 Units in Perth where you did not use our service. MTR with our 100% Guarantee we would have saved you. If you in WA did get a price better then what we do you would have been the 1st to beat our price. With that many posts MTR you would have been a great client for us. A shame you did not at least call us as you have paid more and could have saved money.

To answer your question GlennG:

When a consumer/investor goes shopping builders for building prices or even has a broker, architect obtaining quotes or tenders for them all these "small one or 2 man" operators have no major volume of work to offer quality builders. The consumer generally has one job and the brokers/architects may do 3 or 4 jobs a month and that's not volume. We deal in Tens of Millions of Dollars in jobs EVERY month and that volume means we can offer a 100% unconditional guarantee we will get the best price from top quality builders "you approve" that we negotiate with. In some states we are advertising a 10% Price Beat Guarantee so we must be 10% under any builders quote you can obtain. Sounds amazing but consumers have no idea how builders "deep price" jobs and we have many clients with savings up to 21%. Due to our volume we can afford to be paid $1000 on a 10 unit site as our volume covers us.

We have clients you can talk to who have saved $104,000 under the best quote they obtained, another 4 unit investor $235,500 who has signed to go on CH7 Today Tonight and Ch9 A Current Affair. While many consumers assume what we do is unbelievable it is quite simple. Offer "top quality builders" $Millions in work every month and you too will get a fantastic building price on your one job.

Our main clients are sadly not consumers but investors building new homes as most consumers (like posters comments above) assume they can deal with builders on their own negotiating just one job.

It is sad that many consumers like the posts above who have never used our service believe they can obtain a good price when in fact they have all pay way more then what they have to, but they just don't know they have. When you pay $50,000 more on a home building price "unknown" by not negotiating with VOLUME which is very real as we see these price differences apple to apples some over $100,000 between builders quotes every week and with interest on $50,000 over 20 years is a $107,000 CASH MISTAKE. How many days would you go to work to save $107,000 in cash?????????? because you paid $50,000 more on your building price.

Glenn i hope that answered your question. Go shop 100's of builders on your own. You will not beat our volume buying power.

As with the theory 'You get what you pay for', I cannot see how it would be possible for any builder to quote me $50k more than he would quote a broker, or BPP, with room to spare for these third parties to get paid. Builder's don't generally gain clients through these channels and would not get any business if they were putting these giant margins into their quotes. The market is too competitive.

Bringing me back to my original point - you get what you pay for.

Hi Jeremy - as building experts we totally agree that you do get what you pay for when building. If you want quality construction you pay for it. If you want a cheap price then that is not the builders we deal with as our clients at Building Price Protection want a great price but they want a quality build and total consumer protection under construction.

Building Price Protection is all about the protection of consumers so they avoid all the costly traps and pitfalls and are directed to right quality builder for their job type and suburb location. Consumers have no volume or regular monthly work so they have "zero negotiation power" and as a result many consumers deal with THREE say high priced builders (who are not chasing work and load up costs) and the consumer selects the "so called" best price from loaded high priced builders unknown to them.

Jeremy after researching your quality company and web site we have jobs we wish to discuss with your company.

We deal with Tens of $Millions of jobs every month.

BPP Warning

The following is a warning on using the services of BPP. They promise the world and deliver nothing. Our recent experience with BPP is that they will continue to quote that they will save you lots of money based on "their volume buying power". What we found was they charge a premium price for their service with a promise that if they do not "better the quotes" you can obtain from any builder directly by better than $30,000 they will reimburse most of that charge. Prior to us paying the service charge they were discussing this on a daily basis and were like your 'best friend'.

We obtained quotes from 3 builders that were all less (some significantly) than the BPP quote, so we asked to be reimbursed. 6 months later we are still waiting and not a single response from BPP.

So my recommendation is give BPP a wide berth and do not listen or trust anything they say.

Best of luck with your building project.

Looking at using Adelaide Build Assist for my project in Highbury SA. So far very approachable, they have architect who is in same office although separate company. Architect pricing was best out of 5 other quotes I got.

Have got to stage of getting building quotes, but Adelaide Build Assist only take payment from their builders, so if you don't proceed through one of the builders on their panel then they don't get paid. So idea is they have to have good prices to get paid. Working on a win win.

So far no complaints have been very good, will update as it progresses.

Looking at using Adelaide Build Assist for my project in Highbury SA. So far very approachable, they have architect who is in same office although separate company. Architect pricing was best out of 5 other quotes I got.

Have got to stage of getting building quotes, but Adelaide Build Assist only take payment from their builders, so if you don't proceed through one of the builders on their panel then they don't get paid. So idea is they have to have good prices to get paid. Working on a win win.

So far no complaints have been very good, will update as it progresses.

So you've found them to be more competitive than pricing director from builders?

You're building townhouses, do you think they can compete as well in the freestanding home market on price per sqm?

Back