Building a 3x2 unit - how much in WA?

Justing seeing if anyone has some figures for building 3x2 (2 storey) townhouse around Nollamara/Westminster?

I've not spoken to any builders out there yet, but from what I can gauge from my own research, starting around $250K upto $300K.

Single storey 3x2's in these areas are quite widespread, but double storey, with potentially a view in Nollamara, will hopefully yield some extra $$.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

In general I found it to be about $100k more to go 2 storey with the end value only being about $100k more. To me, it wasn't worth it as the build time is longer, the holding costs more, and the total construction amount more.

However that was my investigations and things may have changed. I'd want 30% on top of whatever it costs to make it worthwhile, ie if it costs $100k more then the end value should be $130k more.

Just got past my prestart...I am building a 3x2x2 on 260 sqm stata survey block in Wellard total cost is about 177k via Collier Homes...I would highly recommend Gary Gee...he understands investors as he is an investor also. Howver prices have moved up 3-4% since I signed on. This includes just about everything...the actual cost is only 174k but have 3k provision for some landscaping, gate, mailbox, and some other incidentals. Note the landscaping area is only 25 sqm...of which most of it will have pebbles and stepping stones

The details of the house specs:

1. 3 beds, 2 bathrooms (1 ensuite), double garage with storage area (1.5 x 3m off garage). Separate theatre and also has familty off kitchen.

2. Living areas 121 sqm, covered alfresco about 12 sqm, double garage about 42 sqm, porch aobut 3 sqm. so about 178sqm of building.

3. Fitting include -1) ducted (10 vents) evaporative aircon, 2) recessed lights to familty, kitchen, entry, and theatre, 3) granite kitchen benchtops, 4) 5 burner stainless cookstop and 900mm oven (westinghouse), 5) 2 TV points, 1 phone point, 2 data points (NBN compliant), built ins with shelves to all minor rooms and walk-in to master, 6) carpets to rooms and theatre, 7) vinyl tile wood look flooring to all other areas, 8) designer tiles to bathrooms and laundry

5) Render to front and side elevation visible from the street.

6) 2 coats of paint to white walls which have already prepped.

7) Over 60sqm of paving to front, back and sides.

Hard to beat this.... :)

Doing another near Mandurah similar price..on a 285 sqm lot....

I am trawled through all the value for money estates...talked (annoyed) all the land agents via the phone. The I looked at the infrastructure planned and future. I then visited Perth and over 2-3 days drove over 400 klms canvassing for the right blocks. When I found the right blocks I put a $1000 down subject to finance.

I typically build enought a relationship with both the developer and builder to do it as a house and land package. Though typically I would pay about 4-6 weeks interest between settling on the land and commencing building...but typically the house is completed with 7 months.

How are you finding available lots sash? Buying the land 1st or as part of a package?

In general I found it to be about $100k more to go 2 storey with the end value only being about $100k more. To me, it wasn't worth it as the build time is longer, the holding costs more, and the total construction amount more.

However that was my investigations and things may have changed. I'd want 30% on top of whatever it costs to make it worthwhile, ie if it costs $100k more then the end value should be $130k more.

Hi Westminster,

Thanks for your advice. My estimations were pretty close and yes points taken on the increase in value to be more than the increase in costs, longer build times & increased holding costs.

The information is handy when doing initial mental DD on a site that has prospect for some views, squeeze out some extra space or to stand out from the crowd.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Just got past my prestart...I am building a 3x2x2 on 260 sqm stata survey block in Wellard total cost is about 177k via Collier Homes...I would highly recommend Gary Gee...he understands investors as he is an investor also. Howver prices have moved up 3-4% since I signed on. This includes just about everything...the actual cost is only 174k but have 3k provision for some landscaping, gate, mailbox, and some other incidentals. Note the landscaping area is only 25 sqm...of which most of it will have pebbles and stepping stones

The details of the house specs:

1. 3 beds, 2 bathrooms (1 ensuite), double garage with storage area (1.5 x 3m off garage). Separate theatre and also has familty off kitchen.

2. Living areas 121 sqm, covered alfresco about 12 sqm, double garage about 42 sqm, porch aobut 3 sqm. so about 178sqm of building.

3. Fitting include -1) ducted (10 vents) evaporative aircon, 2) recessed lights to familty, kitchen, entry, and theatre, 3) granite kitchen benchtops, 4) 5 burner stainless cookstop and 900mm oven (westinghouse), 5) 2 TV points, 1 phone point, 2 data points (NBN compliant), built ins with shelves to all minor rooms and walk-in to master, 6) carpets to rooms and theatre, 7) vinyl tile wood look flooring to all other areas, 8) designer tiles to bathrooms and laundry

5) Render to front and side elevation visible from the street.

6) 2 coats of paint to white walls which have already prepped.

7) Over 60sqm of paving to front, back and sides.

Hard to beat this.... :)

Doing another near Mandurah similar price..on a 285 sqm lot....

Hi Sash,

Sounds like good value for money for the amount of building and finish off you're getting for $174K.

I remember Collier Homes have been around quite a while and used to be quite a popular builder back in the 1980's - I even remember one of their TV adverts from the time. Since then, they seemed to have ticked over and as far as building companies go, i guess you could call them a survivor!

I'd be interested to know the price you paid for your blocks (if your OK to disclose) as well.

Cheers & good luck with the builds.

Regards,

Wrexy.

Wellard block was 140k

Lakelands block was 133k for 285 sqm. Putting a 3x2x2 with small study for 178.5k. This one faces a park.

Hi Sash,

Sounds like good value for money for the amount of building and finish off you're getting for $174K.

I remember Collier Homes have been around quite a while and used to be quite a popular builder back in the 1980's - I even remember one of their TV adverts from the time. Since then, they seemed to have ticked over and as far as building companies go, i guess you could call them a survivor!

I'd be interested to know the price you paid for your blocks (if your OK to disclose) as well.

Cheers & good luck with the builds.

Regards,

Wrexy.

Back