Building a Granny Flat - Part 2 - Construction

Thanks for the feedback!

The foyer and front porch were actually all accidental. Here's an insight of to how they came about.

Foyer Entrance
I initially was going to have that door brought forward.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6599&stc=1&d=1285564012

However due to the 60sqm restriction, I pushed it back to gain 1sqm that I was able to use that 1sqm somewhere else :)

I was worried the foyer was going to be too deep and narrow, but it seem to have worked out well.

Front Porch
When designing the front of the house, I noticed that most modern houses that had a flat front also had a porch extending out (see image of masterton homes).

I thought about doing this, however this would mean the setback of 3m from the side street would start from the beginning of this porch resulting in a bigger front yard and smaller back yard.

So i went with a more typical housing front where one room stuck out more than the other.

Because its cheaper to build in a rectangle / square shape (because the roof design would be easier), I ended up with a front porch.

I also thought about making the entire front flat instead as an alternative, but after seeing this house, i decided against it.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-ashbury-106055205

The front porch is a bit of waste of space, but I guess it left plenty of room to put your shoes out the front when you have guests. LOL

That said, I also considered extending the roof so that the back so that there would be a covered area but decided against it for the following reasons:

1. More money.
2. Smaller back yard

The backyard is pretty shallow as it is, however if the backyard was deeper, I probably would have went with it.

Living / Dining room
In the initial design, the living room was actually longer and thiner, i figured this way I would be able to fit a couch and a dining room.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5753&d=1267766527
(see 2nd image on link)

However after comparing my parents place (they have a 3.5m living room), and my friend's house (who has similar room size as the granny flat, but for a living room only - no adjoining kitchen), the extra 50cm - ie 4m in total made a big difference.

Then drawing from my own experiences (I bought a dining table and only ever used it to throw mail and clothes on, never actually ate on it), i figured, its a 2 bedroom place, this means the potential renters will either be 1 single person, a couple, or a couple with a baby/young child.

The likelihood of using the dining table to eat on would be rare, and they would be more likely to eat on a coffee table in front of the TV. So with that in mind i made the room wider and not as long.

To compensate for eating room, I extended the kitchen and put a eat in bench instead.

Attachments

• InitialFront.jpg
    InitialFront.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
Thanks Ken
It was a good opportunity to talk to the builder.
I want to do something similar but I can't decide if I'll build a granny flat or a house.

With the house I simply have to get a project home
and that way I get the best value for money but it means
having to use a lot of the yard so this will upset my current tenants (and their dog).

Maybe I need to give them notice to vacate and then fence the yard off for the next tenants....
Bill, I was going to put a project home in, but the council wouldnt let me unless i subdivided, which when i worked it out, wasnt worth it.

Selling wise, it would probably be of better value had I knocked down the existing house and built a duplex.

But given i intend to hold onto this, it made more sense to make it cash flow positive instead. The duplex build would have left me in the same cashflow position as doing nothing.

As for my tenants, the person only moved out 2 weeks ago. I discussed it with them and gave them a rental reduction of $50 per week. They were happy to stay on and lose practically their whole back yard (the temporary fence that was put up during construction was pretty much at their back door).

The tenants on the existing house said the noise levels were fine, most the loud noise was during the day when they werent home anyway. And the noisy builders usually knocked off around 4pm anyway, an hour before they got home.

Rather than scaring the tenants away, I made sure I finalised what I wanted to do and then told them. Worse case scenario I would have had to give them notice to vacate, but they stayed, so it all worked out.

Ken,

As I said to you on the open day, IMO you've made the right choice with your selection of the 2 bed Flat vs Duplex.

It worked out well with your existing tenants as well so its all good.

In my situation my tenants have a big dog and they won't like to lose their back yard so they'll have to go but I don't expect a long vacancy. I'll tell them the bad news sometime in the new year.

Also, there won't be any rent reduction for the new tenants. They'll know what we are up to and I'll put up a nice fence for them after construction.

cheers

Granny Flat

Hi Nek

Is it possible to post your FINAL floor plan here? (i know you have made some changes to your initial plan and just want to have the measurements for the final one....)

Thanks again for your generosity..

For those who saw it, does it feel like 60sqm or bigger?

Because I need to put an ad together for it to be rented.

If i were to write

"Brand new large two bedroom home and low maintenance yard"

Do you think people would walk in expecting a large home and walk out disappointed?

Last edited:
Granny Flat

Hi Nek

I think you should just go ahead and do that; it is a larger 2 bedder....it may attract a young professional couple who works in Paramatta area (well, at least that would be what i will be looking for:))

For those who saw it, does it feel like 60sqm or bigger?

Because I need to put an ad together for it to be rented.

If i were to write

"Brand new large two bedroom home and low maintenance yard"

Do you think people would walk in expecting a large home and walk out disappointed?

I'd be a little disappointed in that case.

I'd just put brand new two bedroom home with low maintenance yard.

To put it in to context I live in a 2 bedroom house that is approx 100sqm and I certainly wouldn't call it large (though the bedroom are quite spacious by todays standards).

Looks great by the way, thanks for posting so openly about everything!

Edit - Just looked at the dates.. whoops!

Disregard :)

Last edited:
Nek,

Thank you so much for this thread and all the posts.:)

It has been extremely informative for me.

I am currently looking to purchase a property in the western suburbs of sydney that has the potential to have one of these babies on it!

Great stuff and good luck with your listing.

Is it rented out yet?

Wish I could have come to the open house for forum members but unfortunately I am currently working overseas....

All the very best ..

cheers

Warrabista

Costs and other considerations...

Hi neK - have just read through this thread with great interest, as I am looking at purchasing a property that will allow me to add a granny flat and have a few questions (realise it's a while since you last posted to this thread but hoping you still monitor the forums!).

Costs - would you be willing to provide a high level breakdown? You mentioned $110-120k overall, how does that break down into:

Design costs
Approval
Construction costs
Connection of services (sewer, water, etc)?

Also - there seem to be a number of granny flat providers who have kit/flat pack options - am wondering whether you considered this approach before going with granny flats australia. Any idea what the relative pro's/con's are of going with a flat pack/kit vs. on site construction?

Thanks!

Hi neK - have just read through this thread with great interest, as I am looking at purchasing a property that will allow me to add a granny flat and have a few questions (realise it's a while since you last posted to this thread but hoping you still monitor the forums!).

Costs - would you be willing to provide a high level breakdown? You mentioned $110-120k overall, how does that break down into:

Design costs
Approval
Construction costs
Connection of services (sewer, water, etc)?

Also - there seem to be a number of granny flat providers who have kit/flat pack options - am wondering whether you considered this approach before going with granny flats australia. Any idea what the relative pro's/con's are of going with a flat pack/kit vs. on site construction?

Thanks!

I can probably chime in here since Ive done over 100 of these as designer/approval guy.

1. Flat-Pack vs Builder to provide materials- there's really not much difference on price here. It is slightly faster when you buy from a kit-home company but overall the price doesn't vary much at all.

2. Build Pricing
Here's my experience of it:

Design + Approval $5,500
Construction + Connect to Services $95-000 to $105,000 depending on cut/fill.

This is for a 60 sq m (weatherboard) granny flat with full 450mm eaves, 22 deg roof pitch, tile or colorbond roof, H2 Treated Frame, Concrete Slab, 2.7m walls (2.4m if rear yard space is limited <refer SEPP>, all internals (benches are laminate), all BASIX (energy efficiency) commitments, hot water to meet BASIX, stormwater drainage, bathroom and kitchen, paint, doors +window screens, Floor Coverings (tiled bathroom and kitchen, carpet or similar to 2x bedrooms), landscaping and clothesline, connection to Sewer, Water, Electricity Meter, Phone and Gas (if available).

That's what our builders are charging and they're competing against each other for the work. So thats an approximate cost ($105,000 including approval) turn-key i.e.nothing more to spend.

Hope it helps :)
Serge.

Hi all,

I'm an intern at Your Investment Property Magazine and was just wondering if anybody on this thread would be interested in being interviewed about building a granny flat for an upcoming article. If so leave a reply here or you can get in contact with the journalist (Jon) via this email address - [email protected].

Cheers, Luke.

Its not quite completed yet. Things that have been recently done:
Tiling, bathtub (its in the box and tiled), kitchen, doors.

Items still to be completed

1. Painting
2. vanity unit
3. toilet
4. shower head
5. carpet in the bedrooms
6. A/C unit
7. Gas installation (thanks to AGL for screwing me around!)

My overall view on Granny Flats Australia is that they have been absolutely FANTASTIC!

Cid is extremely patient, especially with a guy like me who asks heaps of questions and sits there and ponders on every little thing. (My wife actually pointed how patient Cid was and if she in his shoes she would have already told me to pss off with the amount of questions I was asking. LOL).

As for the type of block to look out for, standard stuff really. Level or high side block to allow the water to flow into the existing sewer connection and a largish block.

I went there on Friday night to have a look (using my phone as a torch), but it was too dark to take photos.

I went their on Saturday hoping to take some photos, but was locked out because they had put the door on. LOL

I only got to look at the stuff through the windows. I'll post up some pictures as soon as I can.
Hi, Nek seems like you have had a enjoyable experience with Cid, i too have had a 2 BR Granny Flat built by him and found him very patient and calm.
I am currently finishing off my 2nd property with a 2BR granny flat (IMO i would never do a 1BR granny flat, as the amount you pay for the service connections, trenching etc, might as well go 2BR) and finding this builder quite painful and hard to deal with, but nearly there.
If you could do yours again, what would be your lessons learnt and what would you do differently, oh BTW did you granny flat help you + cash flow :)

Hi all

Thanks for this very useful thread.

I have a 620 sqm corner block in Kensington, NSW. If I wanted to build a granny flat that is greater than 60 sqm (say 100sqm),

1) Is this possible?

2) What other DA issues am I likely to encounter?

3) Is it likely to cost significantly more than a 60 sqm granny flat?

4) Most importantly, this will mainly be to get an additional yield - will a 100 sqm granny flat yield significantly more than a 60 sqm granny flat?

5) In summary, will all the extra effort and money be worth it?

I have a 620 sqm corner block in Kensington, NSW. If I wanted to build a granny flat that is greater than 60 sqm (say 100sqm),

1) Is this possible?
Not under the Affordable Housing SEPP

2) What other DA issues am I likely to encounter?
Non-compliance with the above. :rolleyes:

3) Is it likely to cost significantly more than a 60 sqm granny flat?
You want 100m2 over 60m2......you think that might cost more? Its only a 67% increase in footprint. :confused:

4) Most importantly, this will mainly be to get an additional yield - will a 100 sqm granny flat yield significantly more than a 60 sqm granny flat?
Rental yield is based on # bedrooms, # bathrooms and # car accom.

5) In summary, will all the extra effort and money be worth it?
Probably not - sorry. And that's even if you could get it approved.

Just a question

Hi, I owned a property in maroubra Sydney.

I am building an extension and a granny flat. The land is a corner block. I am building the granny flat at the back of my campus as well as a garage at the end of the campus.

My architect spoke to the town planner, they said that the garage is not allow to have a door directly entering the granny flat. I just don't understand why as my garage is right next to the granny flat. They make me go around outside to enter the property from the other end. Do you think this is logistic or can I argue so I can open a door into the granny flat?

Thanks for your experience in answering this, thanks
Bumtmusa

Not under the Affordable Housing SEPP

Non-compliance with the above. :rolleyes:

You want 100m2 over 60m2......you think that might cost more? Its only a 67% increase in footprint. :confused:

Rental yield is based on # bedrooms, # bathrooms and # car accom.

Probably not - sorry. And that's even if you could get it approved.

Thanks for the response.

One more question for a different scenario. If the land is 330sqm, is it possible to build a granny flat assuming there is sufficient space in the backyard?

Thanks for the response.
One more question for a different scenario. If the land is 330sqm, is it possible to build a granny flat assuming there is sufficient space in the backyard?

Under the Affordable Housing SEPP you need 450m2.

You need to have a read of the requirements.

I have read it. I also remember something about a 12m frontage.

However I have been to properties where they have a granny flat and the land is less than 450sqm. How have they got around this? Is it just a more long / difficult DA process?

However I have been to properties where they have a granny flat and the land is less than 450sqm. How have they got around this? Is it just a more long / difficult DA process?

The Affordable Housing SEPP for NSW came out in Feb 2009. This changed the rules of the game. Before this date, secondary dwellings were approved (or not) under a different process.

I imagine that the properties that you have been looking at, can only have come about that way because they were:
1. Approved before Feb 2009 under a different regulation
2. Built without approval (this used to happen a LOT)

Back