Building and pest Inspection ordered by REA

We are interested in a house and the agent has redirected us to a company to buy a pre purchased building and pest insepction.

I tend to be very suspicious and question the independence of such a report?
I know it's probabaly fine but have you relied on a report provided by the REA before?

Thanks!

Just don't. Same goes for solicitors, brokers, etc which have a relationship through a REA to you.
It maybe fine but you should have your own verified trades person lined up.

Where is the property? Suburb? Maybe someone on the forum can recommend one.
Google is your friend here as well.

I have preferred service providers not because I get kickbacks. Their good at what they do and will naturally go the extra mile for my clients as I keep sending them work.

Ask the REA if they get a financial kickback?

In the ACT the vendor must supply the B&P. The purchaser then reimburses the seller. This means that there is only one B&P per property.

The inspector must do a proper report. They will still be liable if they miss anything.

If it's not required by law the seller who provides the report may be motivated towards a quicker sale.

I did not end up buying their report and booked my own B&P inspection. However the REA then gave me a call to tell me that another buyer ordered one and I purchased the report from them.

I'm still not 100% comfortable as I haven't ordered it myself :/.

I'm a bit confused sorry. So you decided to purchase the report from another buyer who went through the REA? Or is that what the REA told you to do?

Given you're uncomfortable with this, is it still too late to book your own inspection?

No, I purchased an independent report that a buyer order (a different company than the REA one). I called them since and I am more comfortable with it all.

B&P is a field where the OFT no longer regulates participants/inspectors. There are no qualifications required (unlike previously), so how much faith can you put in the company or person who did your inspection or the agent's recommended inspector?

Back